Wallet Grab in Austin: "It's Procedure."

Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
I always zip mine into my bag.
Same here. No loose anything except for shoes, laptop, and Kippie Bag through the x-ray, with only ID and BP on my person. TSA are PITAs enough to deal with. No need to add another potential item of contention (not to blame the OP, of course).
Old Jul 24, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: *Alliance
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Same here. No loose anything except for shoes, laptop, and Kippie Bag through the x-ray, with only ID and BP on my person..
+1
Old Jul 24, 2012, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Same here. No loose anything except for shoes, laptop, and Kippie Bag through the x-ray, with only ID and BP on my person. TSA are PITAs enough to deal with. No need to add another potential item of contention (not to blame the OP, of course).
I usually put the ID and BP in my carry-on as well. I know there are airports/checkpoints out there that require you to keep it out, but I've yet to encounter one.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BearX220
I was the only passenger at the checkpoint this week at about 430am.

The young ID-checker at the podium is friendly enough and we chat about how I've never seen this checkpoint so quiet. Then, out of nowhere, we have to play the name game. He eyes my license and tells me to recite my name. I am so caught off guard by this that I actually do it.

I move on to the checkpoint. MMW scanner. Been up working all night, too tired to opt out. I hold my wallet in my hand, stand in the blender with arms up, and exit.

A burly white male TSO announces: "I have to inspect your wallet."

Me: "Why?"

TSO #1: "I have to inspect your wallet.'

Me: "I need to know why."

TSO #2, aggressive African-American female: "Procedure."

Me, mildly: "That's not really an answer."

TSO #1: "You don't think that's an answer, huh? You brought your wallet through the scanner, I have to look inside it."

Me: "What will you be looking for?"

TSO #2, voice rising: "It's procedure!"

I hand my wallet over. TSO #1 opens and shuts it in about one second, barely glancing inside, and hands it back.
This is why my wallet is safely located in a zippered pocket in my briefcase before I approach the TDC, and stays there until I'm well away from the screening area.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
AUS is one of the absolute worst airports in the country in terms of TSA personnel
i fly out of AUS about weekly and I think it's better than most.

YMMV. I am a professional white guy, after all.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Wow, driving both ways to avoid the TSA ?
Myself, I don't notice AUS being better/worse than others.
With AUS on the south side of the city and SAT on the north side, I would guess it only makes an hour difference. Not so different from DFW-DAL or IAH-HOU, depending on traffic, especially if you are in town for several days.

If I were a guy, a couple of 'man-handling' incidents might convince me the drive wasn't so bad.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:54 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by janetdoe
With AUS on the south side of the city and SAT on the north side, I would guess it only makes an hour difference. Not so different from DFW-DAL or IAH-HOU, depending on traffic, especially if you are in town for several days.

If I were a guy, a couple of 'man-handling' incidents might convince me the drive wasn't so bad.
It's almost 80 miles and IH-35 can be parking lot sometimes but your point is still well taken.
I know people that drive up to nearly 500 miles instead of flying now just to avoid repeats of unpleasant TSA encounters. In fact, I know a business man who just did the Houston-OKC in about 7 hours to avoid it. Happens everyday.

I've read on here certain people use WTMD airports only and do drive some distances to get to those.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
It's almost 80 miles and IH-35 can be parking lot sometimes but your point is still well taken.
I know people that drive up to nearly 500 miles instead of flying now just to avoid repeats of unpleasant TSA encounters. In fact, I know a business man who just did the Houston-OKC in about 7 hours to avoid it. Happens everyday.

I've read on here certain people use WTMD airports only and do drive some distances to get to those.
I drive to AUS or HOU, but fly to CRP, so I haven't driven AUS-SAT in several years. But, yeah, I remember it taking more than an hour. Maybe Perry will get his toll-road built soon.

CRP kills me because it's X-ray scanning as the primary screening technique, which means an opt-out every time, and they've started to play the name game. But driving 7-8 hours for a weekend with the family almost never makes sense. So I opt out and plead the fifth (as giving the wrong name could incriminate me) and we muddle through. The agents have started to remember me, so it's less hassle every time.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
i fly out of AUS about weekly and I think it's better than most.

YMMV. I am a professional white guy, after all.
I'm just an amateur white guy, but I'm thinking about going pro soon. Are the union dues really high?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I'm just an amateur white guy, but I'm thinking about going pro soon. Are the union dues really high?
No dues, but the qualification for the Q-Card is a royal PITA.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by janetdoe
I drive to AUS or HOU, but fly to CRP, so I haven't driven AUS-SAT in several years. But, yeah, I remember it taking more than an hour. Maybe Perry will get his toll-road built soon.

CRP kills me because it's X-ray scanning as the primary screening technique, which means an opt-out every time, and they've started to play the name game. But driving 7-8 hours for a weekend with the family almost never makes sense. So I opt out and plead the fifth (as giving the wrong name could incriminate me) and we muddle through. The agents have started to remember me, so it's less hassle every time.
Just tell them that you can't raise your arms over your head. It could be from shoulder problems or just a refusal to take the criminals "I surrender" pose but I don't think TSA will ask which of those cases fit you.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
No dues, but the qualification for the Q-Card is a royal PITA.
This one is pretty easy to get.

http://theqcard.com/
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:02 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Yep!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Back to the OP:

It's too bad the cameras weren't working that day, especially since TSA has recently shown how quick and easy it is for them to review footage if they actually want to.

If the cameras had been working, it would have been interesting to see how the TSOs would explain the footage to a manager/FSD.

Was the single leg 'grope' to resolve an anomaly? What sort of anomaly runs all the way up the leg to the 'crotch'?

Was the single leg 'grope' a half-arsed, incomplete, random 'patdown'? Then the screener should be punished for failing to complete the patdown, thus putting the public at risk. Who knows what the pax might have had concealed on the rest of his body?

Or does 'random patdown' now mean 'random body part patdown'?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by halls120
This is why my wallet is safely located in a zippered pocket in my briefcase before I approach the TDC, and stays there until I'm well away from the screening area.
The only thing that would bother me here is what if some clerk or psgr decides to swipe that briefcase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.