Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wallet Grab in Austin: "It's Procedure."

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by chollie
Was the single leg 'grope' to resolve an anomaly? What sort of anomaly runs all the way up the leg to the 'crotch'?

Was the single leg 'grope' a half-arsed, incomplete, random 'patdown'? Then the screener should be punished for failing to complete the patdown, thus putting the public at risk. Who knows what the pax might have had concealed on the rest of his body?
It was a one-leg-only, rough-and-rapid patdown, executed before I had time to argue, right in place. It took only seconds. It appeared to me to be a consequence of my questioning the wallet grab. The TSO neither really examined my wallet nor patted me down in the normal fashion. In my biased view it was all about subjugation to procedure, not effective security.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:03 am

I mentioned on another thread about the screener that just reached out and started patting my mom's head without asking or warning her after she exited the scanner. That was in Austin.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by BearX220
It was a one-leg-only, rough-and-rapid patdown, executed before I had time to argue, right in place. It took only seconds. It appeared to me to be a consequence of my questioning the wallet grab. The TSO neither really examined my wallet nor patted me down in the normal fashion. In my biased view it was all about subjugation to procedure, not effective security.
Exactly.

That would probably be apparent on the camera footage - but I suspect the cameras were down that day.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
The only thing that would bother me here is what if some clerk or psgr decides to swipe that briefcase.
Any carry-on that can be locked by me is locked before putting it onto the belt. This includes my rollaboard and my computer bag, even my backpack if I'm only going for a short, personal trip.

Edit: And I do NOT use TSA-approved locks on my carryons.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Just tell them that you can't raise your arms over your head. It could be from shoulder problems or just a refusal to take the criminals "I surrender" pose but I don't think TSA will ask which of those cases fit you.
I don't have problems opting out, I plead the fifth on the name game.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
The only thing that would bother me here is what if some clerk or psgr decides to swipe that briefcase.
Yet another reason to just not go through the scanners. There is no way to watch your stuff if your standing in a phone booth with your hands over your head. Twice while I've been in the middle of the groping process have I've seen people complain that their stuff was taken while they were in the machine. We talk about watching your belongings a lot here while waiting on the grope, but it's absolutely a problem for the people in the scanners... and my personal experience is that it's one justification for opting out that's particularly effective with people who otherwise think the scanner is a-ok.

Originally Posted by halls120
This is why my wallet is safely located in a zippered pocket in my briefcase before I approach the TDC, and stays there until I'm well away from the screening area.
My phone, watch, wallet, and any extra cash I may have are always locked in one of these inside of my briefcase whenever I go through security:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005V874NM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I've never been asked to unlock it, nor has it ever been flagged in the x-ray. I guess if they ask me to unlock it someday, I will, but I'm unsure just how much of a stink I'll raise if they decide they need to search the contents themselves. My guess is that if they ever did, it would at least involve a LEO being present.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:08 am
Suspended

In my biased view it was all about subjugation to procedure, not effective security.
That is what the TSA is all about, after all. "Security" is just the excuse.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I was the only passenger at the checkpoint this week at about 430am.

I move on to the checkpoint. MMW scanner. Been up working all night, too tired to opt out. I hold my wallet in my hand, stand in the blender with arms up, and exit.
That's not excuse. Everyone should be opting out.

But they don't. TSA hasn't neutered us into a nation a sheep.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by janetdoe
I plead the fifth on the name game.
Being asked to state your name does not invoke the 5th Amendment.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
[QUOTE=Caradoc;18992674]http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1370.shtm

Another lie from the TSA.[/QUOTEH]

How does this apply? A cup is not a prosthesis, cast or support brace...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
[QUOTE=whytravelsomuch;19005669]
Originally Posted by Caradoc
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1370.shtm

Another lie from the TSA.[/QUOTEH]

How does this apply? A cup is not a prosthesis, cast or support brace...
I would consider it to be a cast from this definition: a stiff dressing or casing (medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com, quick google).

Stiff casing to protect an area recently affected by a medical procedure seems to fit.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Austin is on my "do not fly from this airport" list. Particularly hostile and obnoxious TSA there.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch
A cup is not a prosthesis, cast or support brace...
Never had groin surgery, have you?

I'd very much classify a "cup" as a "support brace." Possibly a "cast," depending.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:56 am

TSO #1: "Now I'm going to pat down your leg."

In a twinkling, before I have time to argue, he drops to one knee, cups my left leg with both hands, and runs them up past my knee toward my crotch -- bumping it hard. He gets up just as quickly.

TSO #1 "There. That's procedure, too."

And they both walk away.

I'm sure America is safer because of stuff like this. I just can't figure out how, exactly.
I think you need to watch some soccer videos and learn how to drop like you were shot in the groin the next time they do that. writhe in pain on the floor and ask for an LEO since you were assaulted. That might get someone's attention
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danl08
I think you need to watch some soccer videos and learn how to drop like you were shot in the groin the next time they do that. writhe in pain on the floor and ask for an LEO since you were assaulted. That might get someone's attention
That's my plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.