confiscating non-"weapons"

Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bankops
Yes, they can confiscate items not on their list but they need to be security threats.
1) The TSA isn't authorized to "confiscate" anything. They do, however, appear to have a really broad definition of "voluntary surrender" that a large percentage of rational people would classify as "confiscation" or "theft."

2) The problem is that the individual clerk is authorized to call anything they like a "security threat." Got a cupcake? The TSA clerk might just claim their low blood sugar makes that cupcake a "security threat" because they might faint while gazing upon its deliciousness.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:45 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Originally Posted by Caradoc
So? They're still just paper.
So is a detailed written plan on how to build a bomb and sneak it on an aircraft.

That's not the issue.

I don't think the charts would be prohibited per se but I also don't think that the OP was wise in copping attitude with the TSO. Regardless of whether the individual is right or wrong it's never a smart move to pick a fight with an authority figure. What do you have to gain by doing this? AT THE TIME OF THE INCIDENT the guy with the badge invariably has the upper hand and you will come off second best every time. Once again I have to quote (well, ok, paraphrase) Sun Tzu in The Art of War "Never enter a battle unless you can win it and never start a war unless the benefits of winning the war outweigh the costs of waging the war." In this case the was no chance of winning the battle and the costs of waging the war probably outweighed any sence of moral victory achieved by this thread.

A simple, polite response would have been a better move in my opinion.

If the charts weren't of the route/area the OP was flying it shouldn't have been an issue at all. If they were of the route, a simple "I'm an aviation fan and I was curious as to what was in the area. Not much diffenet than the route map displayed on the IFE, really. Thanks for showing an interest in my safety. Have a nice day" might have saved him/her $15 and a bit of grief.

Not picking on anyone, just stating the facts as I see them....

Edit: Oh, and regards to the TSA "confiscating" things, what they will say (and I suppose they're technically correct although I disagree) is that they don't confiscate the items. You don't have to give them up but if you don't you don't fly. The decision is yours.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bankops
Yes, they can confiscate items not on their list but they need to be security threats. Throwing away paper charts that I also have on my kindle, my pc and maybe even my portable aviation GPS or Electronic flightbag is just plain right up TSA's alley....useless.
Well, an iPad certainly wouldn't have brought scrutiny. I prefer to fly with paper charts though.

Originally Posted by loops
Consider contacting AOPA if you are a member, even if you are not, this is an issue they would be very interested in.
Didn't even think about this, I will definitely contact them.

Originally Posted by medic51vrf
I don't think the charts would be prohibited per se but I also don't think that the OP was wise in copping attitude with the TSO.
Why?

If the charts weren't of the route/area the OP was flying it shouldn't have been an issue at all. If they were of the route, a simple "I'm an aviation fan and I was curious as to what was in the area. Not much diffenet than the route map displayed on the IFE, really. Thanks for showing an interest in my safety. Have a nice day" might have saved him/her $15 and a bit of grief.
That would be a lie. I prefer to NOT lie to them, so I can make sure all my interactions have the law on my side if it comes to that. And the truth isn't any of their business.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
So is a detailed written plan on how to build a bomb and sneak it on an aircraft.

That's not the issue.
But, I think that is EXACTLY the issue. Whether you have the NY Times, flight manuals, the Quran, or plans to build a bomb and sneak it onto an aircraft, it's all just paper and far outside the WEI purview of the TSA. The TSA has no business deciding what is allowable for anyone else to read.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:12 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Originally Posted by lovely15
Why?

That would be a lie. I prefer to NOT lie to them, so I can make sure all my interactions have the law on my side if it comes to that. And the truth isn't any of their business.
For the exact reasons I mentioned.

Regarding your second comment, I was only giving an example. I wasn't suggesting lieing to them. I was only suggesting a way of turing a potential negative interaction into a neutral or positive one.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

For the exact reasons I mentioned.
Well, having my charts stolen is a minor inconvenience. It's not like they arrested me for it, nor took something I couldn't replace in 15 minutes at my destination airport. So I still see no reason to be polite to them (as a rule, I am not).

(Yes, I realized if I asked if acting polite would have changed anything, but that's most academic, as I'm never polite to them anyway)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by cparekh
But, I think that is EXACTLY the issue. Whether you have the NY Times, flight manuals, the Quran, or plans to build a bomb and sneak it onto an aircraft, it's all just paper and far outside the WEI purview of the TSA. The TSA has no business deciding what is allowable for anyone else to read.
Just so I'm understanding what you're saying, you're telling me that the TRANSPORT SAFETY Authority has no business in not allowing you to bring detailed plans on how to destroy an aircraft onto said aircraft?

If so, we are miles apart on this one.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:17 pm
Suspended

So what? If they don't have the materials (i.e., NOT PAPER) to complete it, then the paper itself represents no threat.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Did you attempt to escalate to anyone at the checkpoint - supervisor, manager? After tossing the charts in the garbage, did the screener walk away - I would have just reached in the garbage and took them back as they had no real basis for tossing them in the first place.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: United
Just so I'm understanding what you're saying, you're telling me that the TRANSPORT SAFETY Authority has no business in not allowing you to bring detailed plans on how to destroy an aircraft onto said aircraft?

If so, we are miles apart on this one.
I've got a book that describes how to make a nuclear bomb. Should the TSA take it from me before I get on a plane?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by lovely15
Well, having my charts stolen is a minor inconvenience. It's not like they arrested me for it, nor took something I couldn't replace in 15 minutes at my destination airport. So I still see no reason to be polite to them (as a rule, I am not).

(Yes, I realized if I asked if acting polite would have changed anything, but that's most academic, as I'm never polite to them anyway)
Being impolite is your decision and (if an American) literally your constitutional right. However, you need to realise that it will invariably have negative consequences, particularly when dealing with an authority figure.

I don't like the TSA but I also don't like causing problems for myself. What do I have to gain by being rude or impolite? Grief and heartache, that's all. Personally, I've found that there are plenty of people willing to provide that on their own (many of whom wear a TSA uniform) and I don't see the need to add to it. I'm better than that and smarter than that. (Not intended as an insult toward you, just an opinion about myself)

I also believe that you'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar...

In any case, don't take anything I've said as a personal affront against you. It wasn't intended that way.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Combat Medic
I've got a book that describes how to make a nuclear bomb. Should the TSA take it from me before I get on a plane?
Only if they discover the highly enriched uranium in your carry-on.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did you attempt to escalate to anyone at the checkpoint - supervisor, manager? After tossing the charts in the garbage, did the screener walk away - I would have just reached in the garbage and took them back as they had no real basis for tossing them in the first place.
No, he stood there next to it and I was hungry so I just left.

I like to escalate stuff most times, but I had other stuff on my mind that day.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Being impolite is your decision and (if an American) literally your constitutional right. However, you need to realise that it will invariably have negative consequences, particularly when dealing with an authority figure.

I don't like the TSA but I also don't like causing problems for myself. What do I have to gain by being rude or impolite? Grief and heartache, that's all. Personally, I've found that there are plenty of people willing to provide that on their own (many of whom wear a TSA uniform) and I don't see the need to add to it. I'm better than that and smarter than that. (Not intended as an insult toward you, just an opinion about myself)

I also believe that you'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar...

In any case, don't take anything I've said as a personal affront against you. It wasn't intended that way.
No offense taken.

I went through a few years where I was friendly and polite to them. It ended up making me feel dirty and like a collaborator, so I stopped.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
So what? If they don't have the materials (i.e., NOT PAPER) to complete it, then the paper itself represents no threat.
True, but to the TSA the (possibly) associated mens rea might....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.