Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Photo Taking of Planes Not Allowed at EWR Per Port Authority Police?

Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I had a few hours at EWR the other day so, being a travel geek, I tried to take some pictures of airplanes. I had no problem in terminal C. In terminal A, these private security guards walked up to me and asked me to stop. They said it is OK to take pictures inside the terminal but not toward the windows of the planes/tamac.

I asked them whose rule this was. They said it was Port Authority Police and got offended. So, I didn't want to push it.

I asked the TSA and they said it is definitely not the TSA's rule. The UA agents believed the is a rule like this. I could not find a PA Police officer to ask the question.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Port Authority are real duchess. You are on their property but also on the public property. There is a catch 21 or 22
Police at EWR enforces this stupid regulations. However, photographers had their CF confiscated but got it back after couple of weeks. Also friend of mine got ticket from the cop at EWR for unlawful picture taking. He went to the court, judge just laughed and dismissed the case. Port Authority is run by bunch of weirdos. I've been shooting around EWR for years and never had any problems. If I ever encounter any duches at EWR I will stand my ground. Taking pictures of airplanes is not illegal.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by username
I had a few hours at EWR the other day so, being a travel geek, I tried to take some pictures of airplanes. I had no problem in terminal C. In terminal A, these private security guards walked up to me and asked me to stop. They said it is OK to take pictures inside the terminal but not toward the windows of the planes/tamac.

I asked them whose rule this was. They said it was Port Authority Police and got offended. So, I didn't want to push it.

I asked the TSA and they said it is definitely not the TSA's rule. The UA agents believed the is a rule like this. I could not find a PA Police officer to ask the question.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.
Bolding mine: Another bunch of power hungry "richards" and where I'm using my phone, can someone post the link from PANY saying that is in fact allowed . Now with that being said, I wonder what they would say to someone taking a picture of their so or child with said s/o or child standing in front of the window?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
The port authority has no such rule. They do attempt to discourage you from taking photos, for reasons unknown.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10143393/Ai...hotography.pdf
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:36 pm

And here we have the crux of the matter.

The PANYNJ can make whatever rules it pleases. That doesn't make any of them necessarily legal.

The Port Authority also explicitly prohibits photography on its PATH trains.

Would a trespassing charge against a rider who refused to leave after being told to stop taking photos be held up in court?

I don't know if anyone has pressed the matter.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Port Authority are real duchess. You are on their property but also on the public property. There is a catch 21 or 22
Police at EWR enforces this stupid regulations. However, photographers had their CF confiscated but got it back after couple of weeks. Also friend of mine got ticket from the cop at EWR for unlawful picture taking. He went to the court, judge just laughed and dismissed the case. Port Authority is run by bunch of weirdos. I've been shooting around EWR for years and never had any problems. If I ever encounter any duches at EWR I will stand my ground. Taking pictures of airplanes is not illegal.
There's no such thing as "unlawful picture taking". Must have been something else.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
"Please show me this rule in writing".

Private security guards can kiss my ...
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Wally Bird

Better yet. They have back it off. Don't ever try to harassed with the customer. Just leave the passengers alone! Leave it alone!
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks.

I wonder if they (PA Police, not the private security guard) were to issue a citation, where is the statute that specifies no photo taking at EWR?

They probably would get me on something else anyway - like disorderly conduct. This is like p*off immigration/customs/waiters - just not necessary and worth the hassles even though you have the grounds. They can make your life really inconvenient.

It did cost me a few opportunities of nice shots
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Wally Bird

Those rules came post 9/11 and out it went in the hysteria frenzy & delirium along with our First Amendment, etc. etc.

I do wonder whether they would even notice such "prohibited acts" if someone go undercover and walk around with a discrete (spy-pen type) camera or similar apps running on the tablets.

... I wonder if they (PA Police, not the private security guard) were to issue a citation, where is the statute that specifies no photo taking at EWR?

They probably would get me on something else anyway - like disorderly conduct. This is like p*off immigration/customs/waiters - just not necessary and worth the hassles even though you have the grounds. They can make your life really inconvenient. (
Their goals, I would guess, are to keep you on the "ground" and missed your flight and or meeting up with those expecting you - make it miserable, and, to create the hassle of dealing with a court date/DAT especially when you are from out-of-town ...

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jul 7, 2012 at 7:37 am
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:33 am

Thanks.

I wonder if they (PA Police, not the private security guard) were to issue a citation, where is the statute that specifies no photo taking at EWR?

They probably would get me on something else anyway - like disorderly conduct. This is like p*off immigration/customs/waiters - just not necessary and worth the hassles even though you have the grounds. They can make your life really inconvenient.

It did cost me a few opportunities of nice shots
I take photos a lot (currently about 105k in my library) so I actually enjoy it when an errant TSA screener tells me I can't take photos. This was St Louis (STL) on 30 May 2012.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sanchez...57629990998338

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sanchez...7629990998338/
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Those rules came post 9/11...
So where are they codified?

I know everyone was wetting their pants at the mere sight of a camera for the first few months thereafter, but I could not then nor since find anywhere such a 'ban' was legitimized.

Even the TSA says photography is OK, although we're not talking about photos of checkpoints. As noted above, they (LEOs not rent-a-goons) could probably lay 'disturbing peace' or some such nonsense charge against you. I would push back (and have done so) until such time as the threat of a charge arises; at which point I admit to caving as it's simply not worth it to me to continue.

If no police are called, just carry on taking your photos.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by knotyeagle
I take photos a lot (currently about 105k in my library) so I actually enjoy it when an errant TSA screener tells me I can't take photos. This was St Louis (STL) on 30 May 2012.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sanchez...57629990998338

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sanchez...7629990998338/
I've seen you post this a few times...what's the background on this? From the video...were they blocking an exit?

Or they just didn't want to be on video or photographed, and you did it anyway (as is your long established right)?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I've seen you post this a few times...what's the background on this? From the video...were they blocking an exit?
It was a lock-down IIRC ("BRAVO" anyone?); probably wanted to keep everyone in close proximity to the device[sic].
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I don't know if you could be cited for taking photos, but you could presumably be ordered off the airport premises and dealt with as a trespasser if you refused. And there's always the chance they might call the airport police.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.