Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Investigation into TSA non-dipping test strips

Investigation into TSA non-dipping test strips

Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Since Combat Medic already took care of the most central technical responses to Ron, I´ll just ask once again for a documented non-dipping test strip that is capable of detecting H2O2 after being waved above a solution.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
1. When you smell your bottle of H2O2, are you smelling the H2O2 or the Phosphonic Acid that most are buffered with?
2. The human nose can detect in the part per billion to part per trillion range. A test strip couldn't.
3. 141 degrees C is not "only slightly above the boiling point of water" It is 41% above the boiling point of water.
4. The vapor density is (to quote wikipedia) "Vapour density is the density of a vapour in relation to that of hydrogen. It may be defined as mass of a certain volume of a substance divided by mass of same volume of hydrogen." So it is pretty darn close to not there.
5. You should have stopped when you said that you aren't a scientist.
At some point, the hole being sufficiently deep, you'd think the digging would cease.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
At some point, the hole being sufficiently deep, you'd think the digging would cease.
He might always come out on the other side.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSORon

Quite a bit actually, I was not always a TSO.

So, I assume you know all about citing your sources if the information is not your own, right?

It’s not a difficult concept at all, nor is how easily one can make incorrect conclusions based on incorrect assumptions.

How did I make an incorrect conclusion? I'm slow on the uptake and can't follow your line of reasoning. (That's right, based on your comment below, you haven't read the briefing. Perhaps that's why I don't understand)

Interesting. I have reviewed the thread and cannot find any reference to the briefing you imply. Care to provide a link?

Post #1 in this thread, courtesy of Hon. BubbaLoop

It's really unfortunate you chose to criticize someone's interpretation of a briefing when you just admitted you have never seen it yourself. Pay particular attention to Slide 14 and make sure you look at it in "slideshow" mode. That will graphically show you the several ways in which the TSA looks for drugs, money, and media/data.

Just because you choose not to believe what he has said over and over again does not make his statements inaccurate or incorrect. After all, you are the one making the choice, not anyone else. Feel free to believe what you like, I’m certainly not going to stop you. But expect feedback of a negative nature when you make those belief’s public. I’m sure BB does.

President Reagan had a famous statement: "Trust, but verify." I'm still requiring verification.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. When you smell your bottle of H2O2, are you smelling the H2O2 or the Phosphonic Acid that most are buffered with?
2. The human nose can detect in the part per billion to part per trillion range. A test strip couldn't.
3. 141 degrees C is not "only slightly above the boiling point of water" It is 41% above the boiling point of water.
4. The vapor density is (to quote wikipedia) "Vapour density is the density of a vapour in relation to that of hydrogen. It may be defined as mass of a certain volume of a substance divided by mass of same volume of hydrogen." So it is pretty darn close to not there.
5. You should have stopped when you said that you aren't a scientist.
Inhaling phosphonic (or is it phosphoric?) acid must do wonders for lung tissue...

Concerning your point #5, I was thinking the same thing...
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:30 pm

He might always come out on the other side.
That would be an improvement. Keep digging!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by loops
That would be an improvement. Keep digging!
<insert Dr. Evil clip "liquid hot magma">
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Inhaling phosphonic (or is it phosphoric?) acid must do wonders for lung tissue...

Concerning your point #5, I was thinking the same thing...
It is all a matter of concentration. Getting sulfuric acid in the eyes sounds really bad, but it might just make you cry when you cut an onion.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
And while you are at it, Ron, do you have any comments on this thread?
Originally Posted by TSORon
I believe I already have, several times.
Did you not click on the link as you have never posted on that thread.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Did you not click on the link as you have never posted on that thread.
But he believes that he has.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
<insert Dr. Evil clip "liquid hot magma">
...and submit THAT to a thoroughly exhaustive strip search!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:53 pm

I’m a first time poster and longtime reader, professional researcher.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-revealed.html
“Apblett says he and his colleagues have developed a test strip using the molybdenum blue that will change color when dipped in a solution with the high level of peroxides that would be needed for bomb-making.”

Fast forward time…
Apblett now works for XploSafe LLC
Brochure says they make products for Transportation Security Administration.
http://www.xplosafe.com/upload/pages...s_Brochure.pdf

XploSafe makes this product
XploSens ST - Detects Improvised Explosive Compounds
http://www.xplosafe.com/national-sec...losens-st.html
But it doesn’t say it works on vapor.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/37253707/O...AV-in-Oklahoma
page 20
“The company’s test strips, or example, need only to come in contact with the air contained within the currently required plastic bag holding a traveler’s liquids and gel-based products to detect an explosive substance.”

While the time table does not add up for this company to be the original supplier, this is a possible supplier as of 2009.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ForumLurker
“Apblett says he and his colleagues have developed a test strip using the molybdenum blue that will change color when dipped in a solution with the high level of peroxides that would be needed for bomb-making.”

“The company’s test strips, or example, need only to come in contact with the air contained within the currently required plastic bag holding a traveler’s liquids and gel-based products to detect an explosive substance.”
So, still no evidence of a test strip that can be waved in open air over an open container and detect peroxides...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL, AA
So, still no evidence of a test strip that can be waved in open air over an open container and detect peroxides...
Nope. And here is some more info. that I'll let someone with more of a science background decipher. Especially the part about "molybdenum hydrogen bronze nanoparticles": http://www.sumobrain.com/patents/wip...011041006.html

But this seemed pretty straight forward.
"...If testing for vapors, the test strip and test subject may be placed in a sealed or semi sealed container (such as a plastic bag or other container)....

We have shown these test strips to be successful in detecting peroxide-based explosives in liquid solutions or in the vapor phase. Currently, there are several types of enzyme-based test strips available, but all are very poor at detecting polyperoxides, such as those used in terrorist explosives. The nanometric inks allow the creation of test strips that can be stored at ambient temperature, have longer shelf life, and react instantaneously with hydrogen peroxide, peroxide-based improvised explosives, and chlorate-based explosives. The ease of use and stability of the inks clearly separate the product from the competition. Since these test strips respond to peroxide vapors, they could also be employed in the plastic bag currently required for a traveler's liquids and gel-based products. Some commercial detection companies have demonstrated that there is sufficient leakage from these bottles to provide vapors detectable by their expensive instrument.... "
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect that an agency that thinks this is a weapon can make all kinds of claims that aren't founded in reality.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.