Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Investigation into TSA non-dipping test strips

Investigation into TSA non-dipping test strips

Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Anyone else have any more information on these tests?
The test strips probably come with a MSDS. You could try a FOIA request for a copy. TSA might send it after the normal three to five year foot dragging delay.

add: I am sure TSA uses a variation of the products made by this startup Oklahoma company, part of the growing Security Industrial Complex profiting from the WOT. How can you not love a company with the groupthink approved slogan “The precondition to freedom is security.”

They make wave over (no dip) test strips to detect peroxide and chlorate compounds in the Big Gulp cup you bought after the checkpoint at the Cinnabomb Sweet Roll and Tewwowist Supply Store.

Last edited by Flaflyer; Jul 12, 2012 at 5:34 pm Reason: add
Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
The test strips probably come with a MSDS. You could try a FOIA request for a copy. TSA might send it after the normal three to five year foot dragging delay.

add: I am sure TSA uses a variation of the products made by this startup Oklahoma company, part of the growing Security Industrial Complex profiting from the WOT. How can you not love a company with the groupthink approved slogan The precondition to freedom is security.

They make wave over (no dip) test strips to detect peroxide and chlorate compounds in the Big Gulp cup you bought after the checkpoint at the Cinnabomb Sweet Roll and Tewwowist Supply Store.
This company does not make non-dip peroxide strips, at least as far as the link you sent me shows (and they would certainly describe their magic detection system if they had it). Their strips (here and here) detect peroxides in solutions, not in the air above solutions. They also have capillary tests, which they state "Does not contaminate the liquid being tested". This statement is there because the capillaries are sterile, not because they dont touch the liquid. Capillaries are specifically designed to collect a small sample of liquid by touching it, through the property of capillarity.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This company does not make non-dip peroxide strips
I said a variation of, as I am sure there are many companies cashing in on the DHS spending spree for Tewwowist Detection. I am sure you are aware of the no touch but quite expensive air sampling devices made by Drager. It appears someone has made a no touch test strip which TSA is using for probably peroxide detection.

However from the limited chemistry I have seen about the process, this will detect liquid hydrogen peroxide, for someone wanting to smuggle the raw ingredients on board and do the (IMHO impossible) chemistry in the airplane lav, i.e. the original London schoolboys who started the whole War on Liquids.

One web site said pre made washed and dried TATP has no volitile odors and even dogs cannot smell it. Thus the Security Theatre show performed by TSOs with test strips will only catch amateur bad guys with about as much chance of success as the Underwear (Non)Bomber. Smart professionals will waltz their evil items right past the test strip waving BDOs. Pure Security Theatre.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

I said a variation of, as I am sure there are many companies cashing in on the DHS spending spree for Tewwowist Detection. I am sure you are aware of the no touch but quite expensive air sampling devices made by Drager. It appears someone has made a no touch test strip which TSA is using for probably peroxide detection.
(bolding mine)

Who? Please show me - I want to know, since if this seemingly magical conquest could be achieved, it would help me a whole lot on my daily work.

Detection tubes such as Drager's require pumping rather large samples of air through them, and often repeated exposures, using significantly more time than 5 seconds, to show a colorimetric change. Furthermore, their sensitivity is quite low, in the parts per million range. H2O2 in the air could reach this range in industrial settings, but not by spontaneously vaporizing from small sample of a solution solution, no matter what concentration.

As a professional who detects H2O2 routinely, I am stating here that there is no visual colorimetric reaction that H2O2 can produce capable of being used on a test strip, allowing it to change color after being waved over a solution of H2O2, no matter how concentrated.

And I wont even go into the whole discussion if concentrated peroxides are a threat to aviation (which I agree is ridiculously far-fetched).
Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSORon
Like the ETD systems we use, they can be programed to detect just about any chemical. The US Coast Guard uses the same ETD technology to detect drug traces on interdicted vessels. They are looking for drugs and have their units programed to do so, the TSA is not looking for drugs and our units are not programed for it.
Ron,

I went back and looked at the briefing. The TSA logo was all over it. If the briefing was given at the DHS level, I would have given them a pass about detecting drugs, money, and -- I forgot the first time -- media (i.e.: books, CDs, DVDs). But, since this was clearly a TSA briefing given by a TSA briefer, I can only conclude that it is the TSA's policy to search for these non-prohibited items. Perhaps the TSA assumed that this presentation was given among friends, until it wound up on the internet.

These types of external presentations in any federal agency require review & approval by several individuals in the leadership chain. This briefing is an official admission that the TSA uses these devices and other search techniques (play the pie chart in "slide show" format) to actively search for drugs, money, and media. I've sent a copy to Rep. Issa's staff.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who? Please show me - I want to know, since if this seemingly magical conquest could be achieved, it would help me a whole lot on my daily work.
OK so now you got me curious what these Magic Strips are and how they work.

On July 5, 2012, Blogdad Bob wrote about them. Random Testing of Liquids at Departure Gates. Nothing new...

We started using test strips back in the summer of 2007 and continue to do so. The test involves a test strip and a dropper containing a nontoxic solution. In case you're wondering, our officers don't place the test strips in your beverages/liquids. They simply have the passenger remove the cap/lid and they hold the strip over the opening of the container. Procedures call for moving the test strip to the side and applying the solution from the dropper to test the strip. If the test results are positive TSA will conduct additional testing to make a final assessment.

So some vendor has been supplying these strips since at least mid 2007, a year after the London Liquid Plot.

From the online 2008 (supposed) SOP from some outfit, all non redacted sections, spilling no secrets that Blogdad Bob did not just write about:

Definition:
Liquid Container Screening (LCS) A screening process using devices qualified by TSA for detecting explosive vapors emanating from containers holding liquids or gels.

3.7.1. TEST STRIP CONTAMINATION CONTROL
A. To prevent contamination, the test strip containers must remain sealed and out of the reach of the general public when not in use.
B. The STSO must verify test strip detection capability when a new canister is opened and at the start and mid-point of each shift. The test strip validation is conducted as follows:
1) Remove a random test strip from the canister
2) Apply a drop of distilled water to the tip
a. If the test strip indicator produces a color change, the test strip is contaminated or defective. Do not use test strips from the contaminated canister.
b. If the test strip indicator does not produce a color change, test strips in the canister are satisfactory for use.

Notice Blogdad Bob goes out of his way to add the Mystery Factor to the Security Theatre by calling the Magic Liquid developer a nontoxic solution while the (supposed) SOP calls it distilled water. Of course, since water is a known high explosive in TSA World, the tewwowists cannot know the TSO is carrying a bottle of distilled water in the sterile area, possibly larger that 3.4 3.0 ounces, otherwise they may wrestle the bottle from the TSO and blow up something.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:40 am
Original Poster

FlaFlyer,

That is great information! Notice that the SOP calls for a negative control (using a strip without any exposure to make sure it does not change color in the absence of exposure) but no positive control (exposing to a real sample and making sure it does change color). If they were doing a real test both positive and negative controls would be necessary.

Add to that the fact that I have been informed by PM that a Flyertalker was asked to have a strip dunked into his drink a few years ago, and it sounds more and more suspicious that these are normal peroxide dipsticks that the TSA is uselessly waving over drinks because they found out the hard way that passengers dont like the TSA to dunk stuff in their drinks.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:49 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
There is a simple solution. The TSO's should carry a supply of tiny sample cups like the ones they use at the stores for samples of product. I would not mind pouring a few drops from the drink I am drinking so they could actually dunk the strips. They do not get close to my drink, they get their sample. It's not as theatrical though.

Uh oh.......I just thought of something. If we start getting a lot of false positives, not unheard of with the even the rigorously scientific procedures of the TSA, then we will have a problem.

Better to stick with the knowingly unworkable "wave the strip" method.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Ink,

I may not be as good a person as you, but I would not give the TSA a sample of my drink, simply because what they are doing is not helping me at all.

The actual act of dunking in a sample is not a complete solution either. Since most drinks people prefer are strongly colored (black, many times), they obviously affect the reading of a colorimetric test designed for normal use in white or clear liquids. Add to that the spilling of hot liquids involved in the transfer process and you have a PR disaster.

Much better to magically wave above.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
OK so now you got me curious what these Magic Strips are and how they work.

On July 5, 2012, Blogdad Bob wrote about them. Random Testing of Liquids at Departure Gates. Nothing new...

We started using test strips back in the summer of 2007 and continue to do so. The test involves a test strip and a dropper containing a nontoxic solution. In case you're wondering, our officers don't place the test strips in your beverages/liquids. They simply have the passenger remove the cap/lid and they hold the strip over the opening of the container. Procedures call for moving the test strip to the side and applying the solution from the dropper to test the strip. If the test results are positive TSA will conduct additional testing to make a final assessment.

So some vendor has been supplying these strips since at least mid 2007, a year after the London Liquid Plot.

From the online 2008 (supposed) SOP from some outfit, all non redacted sections, spilling no secrets that Blogdad Bob did not just write about:

Definition:
Liquid Container Screening (LCS) A screening process using devices qualified by TSA for detecting explosive vapors emanating from containers holding liquids or gels.

3.7.1. TEST STRIP CONTAMINATION CONTROL
A. To prevent contamination, the test strip containers must remain sealed and out of the reach of the general public when not in use.
B. The STSO must verify test strip detection capability when a new canister is opened and at the start and mid-point of each shift. The test strip validation is conducted as follows:
1) Remove a random test strip from the canister
2) Apply a drop of distilled water to the tip
a. If the test strip indicator produces a color change, the test strip is contaminated or defective. Do not use test strips from the contaminated canister.
b. If the test strip indicator does not produce a color change, test strips in the canister are satisfactory for use.

Notice Blogdad Bob goes out of his way to add the Mystery Factor to the Security Theatre by calling the Magic Liquid developer a nontoxic solution while the (supposed) SOP calls it distilled water. Of course, since water is a known high explosive in TSA World, the tewwowists cannot know the TSO is carrying a bottle of distilled water in the sterile area, possibly larger that 3.4 3.0 ounces, otherwise they may wrestle the bottle from the TSO and blow up something.
So in addition to asking for glove changes to protect against a false positive from glove changes, can I ask the TSO to verify that the strip is from a recently opened canister from which another strip has been tested (to verify the entire container is clean) at shift start or shift mid-point? (I suspect these 'shift start' inspections are done about as frequently and reliably as 'shift start' inspections to ensure that all WTMDs are plugged in and operational).

As a taxpayer, after reading these instructions, I wonder how often a canister of contaminated strips is discarded (and how much it costs).
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: United
Ink,

I may not be as good a person as you, but I would not give the TSA a sample of my drink, simply because what they are doing is not helping me at all.

The actual act of dunking in a sample is not a complete solution either. Since most drinks people prefer are strongly colored (black, many times), they obviously affect the reading of a colorimetric test designed for normal use in white or clear liquids. Add to that the spilling of hot liquids involved in the transfer process and you have a PR disaster.

Much better to magically wave above.
I'd charge them for the sample. After all, if I just spend $4 on a soda and they want some of it then I think it is perfectly reasonable for them to give me $0.05 for the sample.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
There is a simple solution. The TSO's should carry a supply of tiny sample cups like the ones they use at the stores for samples of product. I would not mind pouring a few drops from the drink I am drinking so they could actually dunk the strips. They do not get close to my drink, they get their sample. It's not as theatrical though.

Uh oh.......I just thought of something. If we start getting a lot of false positives, not unheard of with the even the rigorously scientific procedures of the TSA, then we will have a problem.

Better to stick with the knowingly unworkable "wave the strip" method.
OK, but I still have a couple problems with this.

What about liquids in my bag (including ones purchased in the sterile area)? Could this process be combined with gate backpack searches? Could I be told I have to submit just-purchased duty-free for testing?

What about a sealed (un-resealable) liquid that I want to save for later? Like Red Bull (red-faced in embarrassment)? I get it in the sterile area, don't intend to drink until arrival (where it may or may not be available).

I think they got worthless test strips, know it, and are finding ways to use them up, at least until the supply contract runs out.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:18 am

Has anyone yet to ID the technology they're using for the Magic Strips?

Found this in a search about the various tech they've tested:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008hls/Bre...Breakout34.pdf

Can't seem to find anything that shows non immersive liquid trace detection.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:42 am

Just a thought.

It might be worthwhile when we see these gentlemen doing their magic waving show - to follow them. I'm sure that sooner or later they'll discard the spent strips, or even the container into the trash. Might be worthwhile doing some trash bin diving.

I doubt they have the discipline to 'collect their brass'
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
One big problem even the TSA lawyer could Google. If dipping the test strip contaminates the sample, it cannot be poured back into the pax's big cup. If the pax tells the TSO "Sure I will donate a sample, but I will not accept it back and you are the sole legal owner forever of that sample" the TSA now owns the sample and must dispose of it.

add: If the TSO were to take a sample and then refuse to keep it and then try to give it back to the pax to dispose, the pax would have every right to say "The announcement on the PA just said "Do Not Accept Items From Strangers" and I have no idea who you are and what you re trying to hand me. Out of an abundance of caution I must assume you are an Al Kidda mole trying to hand me a bomb."

However, if the sample tests Positive, then by TSA definition the TSO is now standing in the sterile area holding a TSA owned bomb. How to get rid of it? Terminal dump and bomb squad for every false positive?

Last edited by Flaflyer; Jul 14, 2012 at 12:05 pm Reason: add

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.