Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 4, 12, 8:33 am   #1

Programs: Kryptonium Kettle, Hoping to reach TSADD (TSA Disparaging Diamond) this year; PC plat,former MR Plat
LAX: TSOs who accepted bribes from smugglers *NOT* facing criminal charges

There is an interesting detail in this article:

Associated Press (posted on WashingtonPostdotCom):
Suspected drug couriers agree to plead guilty in TSA bribery scam at Los Angeles airport

Published: July 3, 2012

A short quote:

The two TSA employees named in court filings, Dianna Perez and Randy Littlefield, as well as [Mileage Peaks], do not face charges. Perez and Littlefield no longer work for the federal agency.

Between November 2010 and October 2011, Perez helped the drug couriers circumvent airport security nine times through various methods, including giving the smugglers instructions about how to pack marijuana so alarms on TSA’s explosive detection system wouldn’t be triggered.

Perez and Peaks were arrested in October following the discovery of two pieces of luggage carrying 15 bags of marijuana worth $38,000 on a Boston-bound flight from Los Angeles.
Old Jul 4, 12, 8:37 am   #2
Suspended

So, telling a TSA employee not to touch your junk = $11,000 threatened fine.

A TSA employee accepting bribes to smuggle = perfectly acceptable.

Interesting. I guess some animals really are more equal than others.
Caradoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 12, 8:38 am   #3

Programs: Frontier EarlyReturns Summit, DL GM
Quote:
"TSA holds all of its employees to the highest professional and ethical standards and has zero tolerance for misconduct in the workplace."
Old Jul 4, 12, 8:42 am   #4

Programs: Delta, United
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caradoc View Post
A TSA employee accepting bribes to smuggle = perfectly acceptable.

The screeners faced charges that were later dismissed without prejudice, which allows federal prosecutors the ability to refile charges. Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office, said there was an ongoing investigation and couldn’t comment further.

Sounds like the DOJ is going to refile but with other charges.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jul 4, 12 at 9:01 am..
FlyingUnderTheRadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 12, 8:53 am   #5
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
Sounds like the DOJ is going to refile but with other charges.
Hopefully something with a bit more clout to it. With a capital punishment, for example.
Old Jul 4, 12, 9:53 am   #6

On this Independence Day, I think it's only fitting to quote the Voice of Liberty, Nico Melendez:

Quote:
TSA spokesman Nico Melendez said the agency takes these incidents seriously and takes appropriate disciplinary actions.
Old Jul 4, 12, 11:04 am   #7

Let's see now. Government employees in charge of very the oh so important security of the nation - collude with individuals with unknown intent - to circumvent said security.

I wonder if there's a word that sums up the actions of someone who betrays their nation's security?

I wonder what the traditional punishment is for such a crime?

Anyone with any suggestions?
Darkumbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 12, 3:39 pm   #8
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkumbra View Post
Certainly. But last time I mentioned them here, someone started squeaking about how TSA employees supposedly deserved respect.
Old Jul 4, 12, 3:50 pm   #9
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkumbra View Post
Let's see now. Government employees in charge of very the oh so important security of the nation - collude with individuals with unknown intent - to circumvent said security.

My guess - it sounds to me as being very likely that the former TSA clerks are now cooperating witnesses in trying to find the smugglers, in exchange for an agreement not to prosecute.
sbrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 12, 7:37 am   #10

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrower View Post
My guess - it sounds to me as being very likely that the former TSA clerks are now cooperating witnesses in trying to find the smugglers, in exchange for an agreement not to prosecute.
Yup, appears that this is going up the food chain. Preferably, someone is thinking strategically, and the dropping of these specific charges will produce greater long-term rewards. Just might take a year or two, to measure the success (or lack of).
Old Jul 5, 12, 9:50 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: US Dougie's Preferred, UA Gate Louse, HH Diamond, National Emerald Club, TSA Disparager Gold
Sounds like these 2 are this year's Alvin Crabtree.
Old Jul 5, 12, 1:14 pm   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
Sounds like these 2 are this year's Alvin Crabtree.
With all respect, I don't think that's a fair comparison.

1. According to the article, these two aren't employed by TSA anymore. Crabtree continued to be employed by TSA. It seems clear that these two are being disciplined, while Crabtree's discipline is far less clear.

2. Nowhere was there any implication that Crabtree's incident involved anything more than his own negligence. These two are clearly involved in something larger.
jkhuggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 12, 1:33 pm   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: US Dougie's Preferred, UA Gate Louse, HH Diamond, National Emerald Club, TSA Disparager Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhuggins View Post

1. According to the article, these two aren't employed by TSA anymore. Crabtree continued to be employed by TSA. It seems clear that these two are being disciplined, while Crabtree's discipline is far less clear.

2. Nowhere was there any implication that Crabtree's incident involved anything more than his own negligence. These two are clearly involved in something larger.
[/quote]

I don't think it's all that clear that this is the reason they're not working for TSA anymore.

The bottom line is this: if any of these individuals had been a "regular" citizen and not working for TSA, they would be facing criminal chargers right now.
Old Jul 5, 12, 3:41 pm   #14

Quote:
I don't think it's all that clear that this is the reason they're not working for TSA anymore.
Given TSA's extreme reluctance to say simple things like "we fired their @$$es", I understand your point-of-view ... but this is the usual non-statement we get from TSA when they fire someone for cause.

Quote:
The bottom line is this: if any of these individuals had been a "regular" citizen and not working for TSA, they would be facing criminal chargers right now.
I'm not so sure. Giving the small-fry a break in order to catch the big criminals further up the food chain is not an unusual procedure, no matter who the small-fry's employer is.

But, as in all things, your mileage may vary, and I can respect someone who draws different conclusions with the limited information available to us.
jkhuggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 12, 8:51 am   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhuggins View Post
Alvin is iconic and deserves his own special place in TSA history: