Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

LaGuardia (LGA):Port Authority Police arrest passenger who stole laptop at Tampa(TPA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LaGuardia (LGA):Port Authority Police arrest passenger who stole laptop at Tampa(TPA)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Some great work by the Port Authority Police and the Tampa Airport Police:

CBS New York:
Man Arrested At LaGuardia For Stealing Laptop At Tampa International Airport

June 21, 2012 6:24 PM

A short quote:
TAMPA, FL (CBSNewYork/AP) — A man who stole a laptop at Tampa International Airport has been arrested by officials at LaGuardia.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:48 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TSA is taking an awful lot of credit for this; I guess they feel proud that the cameras worked.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
The TSA is taking an awful lot of credit for this; I guess they feel proud that the cameras worked.
They must really hate the competition.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:52 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Authorities reviewed surveillance footage of the incident, which showed a man passing though airport security, then quickly removing a laptop from one bin and placing it into another
So the surveillance system works when a pax commits a crime but not when the TSA screws the puppy?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by goalie
So the surveillance system works when a pax commits a crime but not when the TSA screws the puppy?
That appears to be exactly how it works.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Caradoc
That appears to be exactly how it works.
Yes, the security surveillance camera is still work very well. I'm glad they being caught the passenger who trying to steal the laptop in TPA. He will go to jail. The laptop does not belonged him. It's belong to someone else.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I'll give them some credit for initiative and a successful outcome. But even a blind hog finds an acorn on occasion. Mostly it was good police work, maybe.

IANAL, but, can someone be arrested for a crime in another jurisdiction without an open warrant for arrest? They confronted him and he confessed. If he had told them to pound sand, did they have the authority to make an arrest on a crime committed in another state when they had no evidence or probable cause of a crime in their state? Please lawyers, simple answers. Talk down to me, but I am curious if they could have held him without his confession.

(Overtime: I wonder how many laptop computers I could buy if I got $1 for all that were stolen at the CP's and never recovered.)
Old Jun 23, 2012, 6:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, the security surveillance camera is still work very well. I'm glad they being caught the passenger who trying to steal the laptop in TPA. He will go to jail. The laptop does not belonged him. It's belong to someone else.
No, the surveillance camera systems at the airport ONLY work well when they're capturing images of non-TSA committing crimes.

When it's the TSA committing the crimes, the cameras "don't work," or are "too blurry."
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Caradoc
No, the surveillance camera systems at the airport ONLY work well when they're capturing images of non-TSA committing crimes.

When it's the TSA committing the crimes, the cameras "don't work," or are "too blurry."
Right, if the camera doesn't usually work too well. The camera should be cleared. They needed to get a better picture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.