Wiki Posts
Search

Sign at FLL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Sign at FLL

I noticed a new sign posted at FLL terminal 1 UA gates, Any passenger born prior to 1937 or 75 years or older does not have to remove their shoes or take off a sweater. I never saw this sign before, any other airports do this.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: United
I love age discrimination.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
now that the terrorists see a weakness in our armor, they will recruit at nursing homes.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I noticed a new sign posted at FLL terminal 1 UA gates, Any passenger born prior to 1937 or 75 years or older does not have to remove their shoes or take off a sweater. I never saw this sign before, any other airports do this.
The 'no shoes/heavy outerwear off' was extended to folks over 75 fairly recently. First I've heard of any signage, although there is a post somewhere on this forum of someone's experience with this.

Wonder what it's going to cost us taxpayers to put up new signs at all the already-cluttered checkpoints? And how much to 'update' them annually? That little maintenance contract will be worth something.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
now that the terrorists see a weakness in our armor, they will recruit at nursing homes.
I know this was said in jest, but I've actually heard this used as serious argument more times than I wish. There are some very stupid people in this world. On a more serious note, what magically makes one more of a threat if they were born a year later? Then again, this is typical bureaucrat thinking.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC*50K
Any passenger born prior to 1937 or 75 years or older does not have to remove their shoes or take off a sweater.
So this sign applies to you if meet either one of the two criteria?

Is "75 years or older" in there in case someone knows their age but not their year of birth?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by VelvetJones
I know this was said in jest, but I've actually heard this used as serious argument more times than I wish. There are some very stupid people in this world. On a more serious note, what magically makes one more of a threat if they were born a year later? Then again, this is typical bureaucrat thinking.
Actually, you are now more of a threat between the ages of 12 and 75. In between, not quite so much.

It's a hint that the public was finally putting a bit of pressure on our do-nothing Congress folks, and the media certainly helped. Folks seemed to get REALLY riled about little kids getting groped, diapers inspected, even when they were guilty of nothing more than hugging granny and even when they were clearly frightened out of their wits. Folks also seemed to get REALLY riled when little old ladies got taken into back rooms and told to drop their underwear or take off their diapers - and, bless their hearts, some of these ladies started finding the courage to overcome their embarrassment and humiliation and to come forward and talk about it.

So by cutting the under-12's and over 75's a little 'slack', TSA hopes to reduce the negative press significantly. Note that most of the complaints weren't about taking off shoes or outerwear, it was the out-of-control gropes. What folks under 12 and over 75 are also now allowed (but no one else is) are repeated passes through the scanner to avoid a grope.

Easier to put us all at increased risk (since we've all heard for years that the reason kids and oldsters aren't exempt is because 1) tewwowists have been widely known to use kids and grannies (examples, please?) and 2) if we exempt any specific demographic, that will send a signal to terrorists who will then focus on that demographic.

So now it's all turned upside down, and we are cutting kids and grannies slack and the tewwowists know it, and we're all at greater risk.

Of course, if we are NOT at greater risk by allowing these folks to keep shoes and jackets on and take multiple passes through the scanner to avoid a grope, then why does everyone else still have to put up with the cr*p?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Saw the same sign this morning @ DFW A23 checkpoint...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by VelvetJones
It is not difficult to have forged documents to show the 75 years of age with a fairly good disguise.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by TimMinYYZ
Is "75 years or older" in there in case someone knows their age but not their year of birth?
Nah, it's there so they don't have to update the signs every year, which is naturally not funded. Of course, that means the OTHER part of the sign is redundant and a waste of good acreage.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Nah, it's there so they don't have to update the signs every year, which is naturally not funded. Of course, that means the OTHER part of the sign is redundant and a waste of good acreage.
And updates to the OTHER part of the sign will be funded, of course.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by HMPS
It is not difficult to have forged documents to show the 75 years of age with a fairly good disguise.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:27 pm

Arg, I regret wearing sunblock.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
What makes me laugh about this disguise is that it definitely would have beat the scanner, and likely the pat down. If you had a prosthetic beer belly I seriously doubt the TSO is going to squeeze your stomach and demand to see it. I guess this why the TSA will soon demand full x-rays, and then claim they are safe.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:22 pm

I've seen it at every airport I've been at recently. It's part of the "risk based screening".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.