Wiki Posts
Search

"What's your problem?!?"

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
"What's your problem?!?"

Yesterday, I was making the return leg of my regular PHX-SNA-PHX run to see my spouse when I entered the security line at SNA. I got through the TDC with the silly "state your name" business and proceeded to get my laptop out, my bins ready, and my shoes and belts off.

As I approached the screening module, I told the male TSO that I wanted to opt out.

He stared at me and then said, "What's your problem?!?" in a rather harsh and loud voice. I responded, "I don't have a problem. I am opting out just like that sign about 10 feet behind you says I have a right to do."

He let out a very long, drawn out sigh and then got on his radio and said, "Another male assist. Ridiculous." He then proceeded to lecture me on the scanners, etc. I simply turned my back to him and kept an eye on my things as they went through the scanner.

The TSO who was doing the pat down arrived in about two minutes, took my items and we did our little dog and pony show before I was released. I headed over to the TSA service desk where I lodged my complaint and took the form and will be emailing my complaint to the TSA.

Honestly, I have no idea why that particular TSO decided to take a job that entails working with the public. He clearly doesn't like it when people exercise the right to opt out, and I am sure he hates it even more when people won't engage him by cowering at the sight of his fake badge and his unkempt beard.

What's my problem?

TSOs who can't be bothered to show a little respect to the public who simply exercise an option that is stated on the signs mere feet from where these TSOs work.

Now that is ridiculous.
Old May 29, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
You're to nice. I would've told him what he could do.
Old May 29, 2012, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
I headed over to the TSA service desk where I lodged my complaint and took the form and will be emailing my complaint to the TSA.
What's the point? The TSA will "lose" your complaint.

Next time, get him saying it on camera. Instant Youtube material - and it'll have more effect.
Old May 30, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
He stared at me and then said, "What's your problem?!?"
"It looks like you are".
Old May 30, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
I've never had this response simply in response to opting out, but I've had plenty of TSO's get cranky (e.g. "hold your horses, buddy", "chill out", "take it easy") when I opt out and start asserting myself over seeing my stuff and getting clean gloves and the like.

I also had a barker get in my face once and call me a "troublemaker" because I had the audacity to politely and quietly ask him not to shout at me.

They say this stuff because they're accustomed to receiving total acquiescence from 95% of passengers... it just blows my mind how most people just keep their heads down and allow themselves to be yelled at and then degraded in the nudiescope.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Priority Club Platinum
Opt out

I also always opt out.... I dont put my things through until TSA agent is there as THEY STEAL EVERYTHING.... usually that holds up the line which makes them real happy... but saves my wallet and yes you were way to nice... I would have told that agent off...
Old May 30, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
SNA is always bad. I saw them separate a mother from her 6-7 year old child one time. Another where they trotted out 3 screeners (including a 3-striper) for a simple grope. All about intimidation. Almost as bad as RDU, but not quite.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Did have a funny experience at SNA once. I wore my "The TSA Wants to See Me Naked" t-shirt and went thru with my friend. I got thru without a peep out of TSA and my friend got singled out for secondary. She's like "it's not fair - HE'S the one with the shirt!"
Old May 30, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Superguy
Did have a funny experience at SNA once. I wore my "The TSA Wants to See Me Naked" t-shirt and went thru with my friend. I got thru without a peep out of TSA and my friend got singled out for secondary. She's like "it's not fair - HE'S the one with the shirt!"
Threatening those you care about is a common tactic of intimidation in repressive societies. TSA seems to have the techniques of a repressive society down pat.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:01 pm

What's a "TSA service desk"?
Old May 30, 2012, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
What's a "TSA service desk"?
It's where the passengers who want to file a complaint get "serviced." Kind of like the animal husbandry clinic at the local large animal vet.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by Caradoc
Kind of like the animal husbandry clinic at the local large animal vet.
With most TSA experiences, I think the visit to the vet's office would probably turn out to be a lot more pleasant.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by clrankin
With most TSA experiences, I think the visit to the vet's office would probably turn out to be a lot more pleasant.
I dunno. Both are likely to involve a shoulder-length glove, but the vet's more likely to have J-Lube.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:06 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
They have tried the in-your-face stuff with my on opt-outs. Everytime I yawn, and I yawn a few times during the grope. Tends to move it along at that point, other than one TSA guy who recognizes me at IAH Term E and gives me a quick one and I am on my way.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Caradoc
What's the point? The TSA will "lose" your complaint.

Next time, get him saying it on camera. Instant Youtube material - and it'll have more effect.
I would like to hear his story. I will listen the video. He can tell us what exactly happened at airport today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.