Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Fairbanks (FAI): TSA has passenger arrested for 2.5 grams of Marijuana (legal in AK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairbanks (FAI): TSA has passenger arrested for 2.5 grams of Marijuana (legal in AK)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

A very interesting story out of Fairbanks (FAI), reported by Sam Friedman of the Fairbanks Daily News Miner:

Fairbanks Daily News Miner:
Fairbanks man charged after TSA search uncovers marijuana

Apr 20, 2012

A short quote:
FAIRBANKS — A prominent Fairbanks engineer faces a misdemeanor drug possession charge after he allegedly called the Transportation Security Administration to accuse an agency official of taking marijuana he said was for medical use from a checked bag.
The passenger had about 2.5 grams (0.08 ounces) in his luggage. Another short quote:
The criminal complaint does not say whether [the passenger] had a medical marijuana card. Under the terms of a 1998 voter initiative, Alaskans with medical marijuana cards can have up to an ounce of marijuana, although even with a card there is no legal way to buy the drug or even its seeds. Medical marijuana is not legal under federal law.

[the passenger] was charged April 12 with sixth-degree drugs misconduct, a misdemeanor. He is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday morning in Alaska District Court.

Last edited by RatherBeOnATrain; Apr 20, 2012 at 10:20 am Reason: correct title
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: United
I'm really glad that the plant in question was stopped before it could take down that plane.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Transportation Security and Drug Enforcement Agency. Now that's what I call an efficient use of bureaucratic resources. It frees up the DEA to continue the record-breaking success they've had keeping illegal drugs from Mexico off the streets.

Oh, wait...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Well, since he was arrested on local charges apparently it was not legal for him.

Yo Police? I'm calling because you took my pot.

Pretty funny this was released today.

Last edited by cordelli; Apr 20, 2012 at 9:58 am
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Apr 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm Reason: forgot where I was, I don't post here
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by cordelli

Pretty funny this was released today.

Mike
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:11 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
An arrest does not equate to guilt.
I never said he was guilty
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by cordelli
I never said he was guilty
It was at least implied "apparently it was not legal for him"
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
Filght #420 perhaps?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:04 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
It was at least implied "apparently it was not legal for him"
No, it wasn't.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:18 am

Being a former Fairbanks resident, they are all probably snickering at this article. Prior to 1990, you could have up to four ounces. I visit the News Minor website often to catch up on the local news. Great place to visit for the "real" Alaska.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Daily News Miner: Satterberg will defend man in TSA pot case

The Daily News Miner has posted an update:

Fairbanks Daily News Miner:
Satterberg will defend man in TSA pot case

Apr 24, 2012

A short quote:
FAIRBANKS — [Bill Satterberg, the] Fairbanks attorney who successfully challenged a state law criminalizing ownership of small quantities of marijuana within a home is defending a Fairbanks man accused of carrying the drug in his checked airplane luggage and complaining to TSA for confiscating the drug.
and
After the hearing, Satterberg described the charge as “an overzealous TSA case,” and said he plans to challenge the legality of the way the TSA reportedly confiscated the contraband without informing Hargesheimer. Satterberg took the 2001 misdemeanor drug case against North Pole resident David Noy to Alaska Court of Appeals, where the court ruled the state’s constitutional right to privacy is more important than a law that assigns criminal penalties for owning marijuana.

This is going to be a very interesting case.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:18 pm

Lucky he wasn't arrested on federal charges, marijuana is STILL illegal under federal law which always and automatically trumps local law. Doesn't sound like a fishing expedition by the tsa though which is what should be stopped. Before September 11, 2001, could someone have gotten away with putting a case of crack through the xray then gotten away with it because "the private security should only be worried about guns and stuff on the planes?" No? Well why should they now? I frankly don't have a problem with the tsa referring to local law enforcement if they see something OBVIOUSLY illegal during the NORMAL DISCHARGE of their duties, it's when they go fishing because a perfectly legitimate and legal item MIGHT have illegal uses.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by TheOneTheOnly
Lucky he wasn't arrested on federal charges, marijuana is STILL illegal under federal law which always and automatically trumps local law. Doesn't sound like a fishing expedition by the tsa though which is what should be stopped. Before September 11, 2001, could someone have gotten away with putting a case of crack through the xray then gotten away with it because "the private security should only be worried about guns and stuff on the planes?" No? Well why should they now? I frankly don't have a problem with the tsa referring to local law enforcement if they see something OBVIOUSLY illegal during the NORMAL DISCHARGE of their duties, it's when they go fishing because a perfectly legitimate and legal item MIGHT have illegal uses.
Do you really think the FBI is gonna show up for a misdemeanor?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by TheOneTheOnly
What constitutes "obviously illegal"? After all, no TSO is trained to identify illegal drugs. And there can be no legal repercussions against any TSO for failing to report something that may be illegal, but does not constitute WEI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.