Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Are there still selectees at overseas airports?

Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Looking back on the past four or five trips from Europe/South America to the US, I noticed that nobody seemed to be "singled out" by contract security agents. (Israel is another story.)

They still ask the questions prior to check-in and at the gate, but I've never noticed anyone pulled aside for further scrutiny other than random pat-downs/wandings/bag inspections just prior to boarding.

In Rodney Wallis' book, Lockerbie, he discussed how the Pan Am security agents didn't actually know what a selectee was. They just asked the questions, and they didn't necessarily speak enough English to understand the responses.

So do the interviews actually lead to anything? Or is it just strictly theater?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 3:07 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Mats
Depends on the training of the person asking the questions.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's theater. Questioning passengers isn't needed to interdict contraband WEIs. It was voodoo "security" then and voodoo "security" it still is.

In Rodney Wallis' book, Lockerbie, he discussed how the Pan Am security agents didn't actually know what a selectee was. They just asked the questions, and they didn't necessarily speak enough English to understand the responses.
Is that claim in that book accurate? I used to fly PanAm a fair amount from LHR to JFK and also from FRA; and I don't recall ever encountering that language problem at LHR or FRA when flying them.

I am not sure what difference it would make for PanAm 103's security, even if understanding the spoken language were an issue.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 11, 2012 at 7:32 am
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:14 am

Looking back on the past four or five trips from Europe/South America to the US, I noticed that nobody seemed to be "singled out" by contract security agents. (Israel is another story.)

They still ask the questions prior to check-in and at the gate, but I've never noticed anyone pulled aside for further scrutiny other than random pat-downs/wandings/bag inspections just prior to boarding.

I got "the treatment" at MAD earlier this year, Spanish contract screener must not have liked my responses to his questions and that triggered a SSSS on the boarding pass and extra scrutiny. I have a thread about this somewhere here.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

In February I had "SSSS" on my boarding pass after I checked in at HKG.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, COPA, Air Canada (dormant)
Older data point but I was identified as SSSS at CUN last September.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I travel LH on EWR-DUS somewhat frequently. Four times out of five, I get pulled aside for additional screening before boarding. Never an SSSS on the boarding pass but just a random and likely because I'm a solo traveler carrying a laptop bag and possibly duty free (they think it's easy until they get into my laptop bag...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.