Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Interesting post regarding TSA/Security from charitable blog

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Interesting comments about security / TSA from a charitable foundation blog.

"I have been struggling with something lately that I feel this morning I was able to understand. First I have to explain how I feel about airport security...."

http://mariposafoundation.com/?p=1173
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Interesting opinion piece. I agree with the sentiment, of course, but I was somewhat shocked to learn that TSA now has the authority to confiscate your iPod if they suspect you have illegally downloaded music on it. I don't remember hearing THAT tidbit on FT, which leads me to believe that it's hogwash.

Aside from that, the one criticism I'd give is that the piece proceeds from an almost entirely emotional point of view, without making points by facts. I prefer to debate on facts, rather than pure emotion, because pure emotion is too easy to discredit as hysteria, while facts can only be countered by other facts.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Interesting opinion piece. I agree with the sentiment, of course, but I was somewhat shocked to learn that TSA now has the authority to confiscate your iPod if they suspect you have illegally downloaded music on it. I don't remember hearing THAT tidbit on FT, which leads me to believe that it's hogwash.

Aside from that, the one criticism I'd give is that the piece proceeds from an almost entirely emotional point of view, without making points by facts. I prefer to debate on facts, rather than pure emotion, because pure emotion is too easy to discredit as hysteria, while facts can only be countered by other facts.
I do think that the CBP has this authority, but not the TSA. I have to run now, but I will research it later if the answer has not appeared in the meantime.

As for the blog, pretty to look at and beautifully written. It is an opinion piece and not meant to be technical information.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by WillCAD

Agreed. It's important for TSA opponents to keep things 100% factual. That's why, for example, I didn't jump in on the "TSA Pats Down Toddlers" or "TSA Takes Purple Heart Recipients Nail Clippers". Make sure there's an actual police report you can see from a government site, or a newspaper article from a real news source that does its own reporting, and not a "blog" that simply rehashes things.

Otherwise the TSA will use it against you, as they did with the recent nail-clipper and toddler-search stories that weren't exactly what they appeared to be.

The TSA may steal your iPod, there are actual criminal convictions about that.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I do think that the CBP has this authority, but not the TSA. I have to run now, but I will research it later if the answer has not appeared in the meantime.

As for the blog, pretty to look at and beautifully written. It is an opinion piece and not meant to be technical information.
Here is one article.

I’ve been writing about this problem since 2008. Nothing at CBP has changed. No international traveler at the U.S. border, leaving or arriving, is safe from having their electronic devices (cell phones, MP3 players, digital cameras, memory devices, laptops) randomly confiscated without warrant or court order, by CBP, and without reasonable suspicion of wrong doing, or probable cause.
And there is this pdf from CBP itself.

I could not cut and paste but I did snip this jpeg:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.