Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Orlando-Sanford (SFB) files paperwork to replace TSA with private screeners!

Orlando-Sanford (SFB) files paperwork to replace TSA with private screeners!

Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Thumbs up Orlando-Sanford (SFB) files paperwork to replace TSA with private screeners!

WESH has the news:

WESH:
TSA Screeners Could Be Replaced At Local Airport
Airport Considers Hiring Private Screeners

POSTED: 12:39 pm EDT March 13, 2012
UPDATED: 12:55 pm EDT March 13, 2012

A short quote:
Orlando-Sanford International Airport announced on Tuesday that the airport has filed paperwork to drop TSA screeners and hire private security screeners.

U.S. Rep. John Mica, who chairs the House transportation committee, was on hand for the announcement and to explain changes in aviation law.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Here's the Orland Sentinel article, by Dan Tracy, that the television station probably got its story from:

Orlando Sentinel:
Sanford airport will try again to kick out TSA

3:25 p.m. EDT, March 13, 2012

A short quote:
SANFORD Orlando Sanford International Airport officials have restarted a push to hire private security forces, relying this time on a new law championed by U.S. Rep. John Mica, R-Winter Park.

Replacing federal Transportation Security Administration workers with contract employees would result in a more "customer friendly" operation, airport president Larry Dale said at a Tuesday news conference.

But he could not say if a switch would result in lower costs because he has not seen any financial proposals from the three companies the airport has on a short list for the work.

Dale originally tried to boot TSA almost two years ago, but the agency rejected his request.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Now if only big brother, Orlando International Airport, would follow the same path as it's little brother, Sandford International Airport in regards to booting out the TSA. ^^^
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
Now if only big brother, Orlando International Airport, would follow the same path as it's little brother, Sandford International Airport in regards to booting out the TSA. ^^^
Or maybe more airlines will move into SFB. If only I didn't have to connect in Iceland, it'd become my preferred airport, though you can credit FI to AS.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I understand getting rid of the TSA.
However, does replacing them with private screeners do any good? They will still have to enforce the same idiocy.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by dimramon
I understand getting rid of the TSA.
However, does replacing them with private screeners do any good? They will still have to enforce the same idiocy.
They only positive I can see is that they'd be less likely to pull the "I'm a Federal Officer, do you want to fly today?" card. But you're right, it's still the same idiocy.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Sanford airport will try again to kick out TSA

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7371145.story

SFB wants to kick TSA out of the airports for second time. Why they want to remove TSA from SFB?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by N830MH
Why they want to remove TSA from SFB?
From the article:

Replacing federal Transportation Security Administration workers with contract employees would result in a more "customer friendly" operation

I wish them good luck with this ^
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Originally Posted by N830MH
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7371145.story

SFB wants to kick TSA out of the airports for second time. Why they want to remove TSA from SFB?
I think it might be because they think they will have far greater control over the rogues, will be able to control the level of politeness, level of quality, and level of integrity of the screeners. This is as it should be, but is not with the TSA.

Reading the article, Congressman Mica is right on point with his opinion that the TSA should get out of the Human Resources business and be about its original mission of determining appropriate and necessary security regulations and requirements, rather than doing that, then doing an incompetent job of implementing dumb ideas.

Consider this:
The FAA, in its original incarnation was the Civil Aeronautics Board, which was responsible of airline oversight aviation safety. It provided a regulatory agency which was empowered to issue regulations, enforce them, and to provide/assist with infrastructure development which has made the US Aviation system a role model and the envy of the world in terms of efficiency, cost-effectiveness and general all around usefulness. Pray we don't lose it, although we are on the verge of losing it given some of the proposals coming from the East.

The CAB/FAA was never thought to be the entire workforce of the aviation industry, but rather a regulatory agency, similar to what Rep. Mica states (and I believed to be true then) the TSA was supposed to be.

To show the depth of stupidity of the current model, compare what might have happened if Roosevelt had taken the TSA model for the CAB:
The CAB/FAA would issue regulations for airlines to meet, hire regulators and inspectors to enforce those regulations. (So far, so good).
The CAB/FAA would set standards for aircraft, pilots, controllers, mechanics and hire inspectors to enforce those standards (so far, so good).

Where it would change, following the present TSA model, is that the CAB would then hire pilots, cabin crew, mechanics, aircraft assemblers, etc. They would work for the CAB, fly, staff and maintain the airplanes for the airlines, at government expense, while the airlines sold tickets, and had no liability of screwing up since the pilots, mechanics, crew were all government employees reporting to a different hierarchy.

This is absurd on its face, but this is precisely what the TSA has become. It is time to end this madness, throw it away and rebuild it from scratch. Getting rid of federal screeners (i.e. TSOs) is the first logical step. Although Mica's rider continues to pay non-federal screeners, control (under TSA supervision) vests with the airport authorities.

Note that this will not necessarily end the problems, but it might bring local (i.e. non-federal) management and accountability to the scene.

Also, Mica's bill only mandates that Pistole "shall consider." It does not mean he won't summarily reject on one or another specious rationale.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
They only positive I can see is that they'd be less likely to pull the "I'm a Federal Officer, do you want to fly today?" card. But you're right, it's still the same idiocy.
Yes, it's ultimately the same idiocy. But a private screener who knows that they can be fired over one incident, as opposed to a TSA screener who is virtually impossible to fire short of breaking the law while on duty, is much more likely to treat you like a human being, and much less likely to hit your "resistance" extra hard for opting-out.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
From the article:

Replacing federal Transportation Security Administration workers with contract employees would result in a more "customer friendly" operation

I wish them good luck with this ^
I agree. Soon TSA will be gone forever. They won't come back at US Airports anymore. They won't be back again for the life.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by tkey75
Or maybe more airlines will move into SFB. If only I didn't have to connect in Iceland, it'd become my preferred airport, though you can credit FI to AS.
Just don't get caught inside the city limits of Sanford with Skittles and ice tea. That is grounds for being murdered in Sanford. Just ask Trayvon Martin. Oh wait, you can't ask him. He was killed for walking with Skittles while black. In Sanford. And the fine citizens of Sanford are such racist pigs that the killer is walking around free. I think I'll stay out of Sanford. And we thought the TSA was bad about pastries or candy. Pikers compared to the Sanford police.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.