Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

List of things/people TSA has caught that likely would NOT have been caught pre 9/11?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List of things/people TSA has caught that likely would NOT have been caught pre 9/11?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Most of the top catches of 2011 were metallic things that would likely have been caught by the WTMD pre-9/11 (or non WEI, such as birds or an entirely inconsequential "science experiment").

What is the added value TSA provides as measured by things that probably would NOT have been caught pre 9/11? Or is it just a $8B/year money pit?

Please list actual "good catches" below.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Cupcakes... wouldn't have been caught before 9/11, because there was no need to.
My medicines... wouldn't have been caught before 9/11, because there was no need to.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

C-4 might have been missed prior to 9/11, oh wait, still missed 50% of the time by TSA.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
My Macbook Air would not be randomly tested for explosives every time I fly.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:57 pm

Snowglobes. The number of airborne snowglobes was pretty out of hand pre 9/11.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
Or is it just a $8B/year money pit?
That about covers it
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P

If you count illegal drugs, large amounts of cash, and fake IDs as "good catches," there have been a lot of those caught that would not have pre 9/11.

Personally I don't. I have no desire to legalize drugs and no love for illegal aliens, but I don't think a commercial airport is the place to set up a dragnet for that or anything else.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: United 1P, Hertz Gold #1 5*, Avis First, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
  • Dignity
  • First amendment rights
  • Fourth amendment rights
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

~600 (and counting) thieves, drug dealers, sexual assaulters, murderers, hate crime criminals, drunkards.

...Unknown numbers of new cancer victims.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

~600 (and counting) thieves, drug dealers, sexual assaulters, murderers, hate crime criminals, drunkards.
Employed by TSA or caught by them?

How many are there if they won't be counted?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by loops

Employed by TSA or caught by them?

How many are there if they won't be counted?
1. TSA employees.

2. One of the peer-reviewed reports the TSA suppressed/rejected assigned a statistical percentage to passengers being irradiated and TSA clerks working around the emitter.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:06 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Most of the top catches of 2011 were metallic things that would likely have been caught by the WTMD pre-9/11 (or non WEI, such as birds or an entirely inconsequential "science experiment").

What is the added value TSA provides as measured by things that probably would NOT have been caught pre 9/11? Or is it just a $8B/year money pit?

Well, since 9/11, TSA has caught a fair share of my anger and principled stands. Doesn't seem to be helpful to the traveling process though.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Numerous pairs of children's round-tipped scissors.

Thousands of nail clippers.

Tens of thousands of pocket knives.

Full-sized tubes of toothpaste.

And various other dangerous items of a similar ilk.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
My 'TSA-approved' luggage lock.

Seriously.

Long weekend overseas, carry-on only. Had an extra-thin 'emergency' duffle and lock in case I shopped and had to check a bag on the return. My carry-on was a standard gym duffle, compartments at each end. The unused TSA-approved lock was loose, by itself, in one of the end compartments.

'Bag check'. OK. He tears through the entire bag, then opens the end compartment, finds the lock. That's the problem. ??? He says the xray person has never seen one before (?) and besides, they are for CHECKED bags only, shouldn't be bringing it through the checkpoint, they'll let it go this time.

Two pairs of clippers, toenail and fingernail. You're only allowed one pair, so ...they confiscated both pairs. (This was in HNL last December).
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by studentff
If you count illegal drugs, large amounts of cash, and fake IDs as "good catches," there have been a lot of those caught that would not have pre 9/11.
Even TSA agree this is outside the scope of their charter. Though they keep beating their chests about such "catches."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.