FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA refusing GE Cards for security checkpoints (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1301897-tsa-refusing-ge-cards-security-checkpoints.html)

rsh913 Jan 12, 2012 5:56 pm

TSA refusing GE Cards for security checkpoints

4 times in the last week my GE card has been refused as id proof by TSA. They wanted a passport or DL. Finally today at MCI I asked for a supervisor an he said they've been told a few days ago that GE cards are no longer valid for ID proof.
I've not checked TSA's website to see if its true.
Any body else have any ideas on this?

Thx.

rsh913 Jan 12, 2012 5:58 pm

It seems GE card is no longer listed on TSA's website.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm

DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)

spacev1986 Jan 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by rsh913 (Post 17803491)
4 times in the last week my GE card has been refused as id proof by TSA. They wanted a passport or DL. Finally today at MCI I asked for a supervisor an he said they've been told a few days ago that GE cards are no longer valid for ID proof.
I've not checked TSA's website to see if its true.
Any body else have any ideas on this?

Thx.

seems incorrect to me... As far as i know not only is it an acceptable form of ID, but its also going to be worked into the new Pre-Check program. certainly there is a preferance towards passports and Driver's licenses, as since they are familiar documents they are easier to verify...if this has changed, its been very recent and they havent even told us yet.

14940674 Jan 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by spacev1986 (Post 17803511)
As far as i know not only is it an acceptable form of ID, but its also going to be worked into the new Pre-Check program.

It certainly is an acceptable ID, but I have never heard that it would be used in PreCheck. Since PreCheck encodes your BP, there is no need for a TT ID Card.

The thread below covers the same topic as this thread, but has been going since July of 2011:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...-id-check.html

spacev1986 Jan 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674 (Post 17803664)
It certainly is an acceptable ID, but I have never heard that it would be used in PreCheck. Since PreCheck encodes your BP, there is no need for a TT ID Card.

The thread below covers the same topic as this thread, but has been going since July of 2011:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...-id-check.html

Part of getting a trusted traveler card is undergoing a background check. If you have a GE card, youve had that, and as such, that makes you elligible for pre-check. Theres no need to physically present a TT card, correct... what i meant was that TT card holders are by very nature elligible for pre-check.

MSPeconomist Jan 12, 2012 6:44 pm

I have had mixed success, but the problems have been where TSA is unfamiliar with the GE card and I then offer my passport to move the line faster. Once they told me that it was fine since it was a government issued photo ID with an expiration date, as if that was the rule they had been taught.

arollins Jan 12, 2012 7:37 pm

Here is a kicker.

I'm licensed Customs Broker working for a a mid-size international freight forwarding company. In order to receive my broker's license, I had to go through US Customs background checks, finger printed and pass an exam. I'm also the license holder for my local branch, as such, I've had to receive a TSA approval for employment and to also allow entrance to the cargo area at the airport, this required an extensive background check including criminal, mental, and financial records. I have a TSA ID for my employment purpose, a copy of the TSA approval letter certifying my ID, brokers license, I also have GE, passport and DL. My TSA ID and letter means NOTHING:mad: when it comes to going through security lines. I asked a supervisor on it, and he told me that the ID is only good for cargo purpose only and its not recognize as a valid ID for traveling purpose. :td:
I can literally walk on airport grounds, tarmac, cargo area, with my TSA ID as long as I'm "working" yet I'm not allowed to go through security when catching a flight. Even on my GE profile it clearly indicates that I'm a licensed broker.
You think you have it bad with your GE non approval, I've gone through 3 separate rounds of background checks, have to be re-certified every 3 years and that means nothing, nada, zilch when it comes to going through security.
Funny thing is that as part of my job, I'm also on the forefront of homeland security. Go figure.

cestmoi123 Jan 13, 2012 8:56 am

Originally Posted by rsh913 (Post 17803501)
It seems GE card is no longer listed on TSA's website.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm

DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)

It's never been listed there explicitly.

dsauch Jan 14, 2012 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 (Post 17806884)
It's never been listed there explicitly.

+1 it was never listed there, hence it was never officially accepted. I got through with it couple of times, but TSA was always surprised to see it.

So now it seems they clarified specifically that GE is not to be accepted.

14940674 Jan 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by dsauch (Post 17814294)
So now it seems they clarified specifically that GE is not to be accepted.

I don't think they have clarified anything; rather they have neglected to include the GE card in error. It is identical to the NEXUS and SENTRI cards, so there is no reason for them to officially not accept it.

halls120 Jan 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674 (Post 17814310)
I don't think they have clarified anything; rather they have neglected to include the GE card in error. It is identical to the NEXUS and SENTRI cards, so there is no reason for them to officially not accept it.

Other than their manifest incompetence and stupidity as an organization, of course.

aviators99 Jan 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Sometimes when I show them the "Sentry" on the back, it helps. Sentry *is* listed on the TSA site.

At MIA last week, the TDC noted, "We just learned about these today". I was surprised that they didn't already know, since I thought MIA was one of the places where the GE card is supposed to allow you to go through without taking off your shoes. But looking at the website, I learned that it's just in the AA terminal where that's true, and I was flying DL.

chollie Jan 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by aviators99 (Post 17814633)
Sometimes when I show them the "Sentry" on the back, it helps. Sentry *is* listed on the TSA site.

At MIA last week, the TDC noted, "We just learned about these today". I was surprised that they didn't already know, since I thought MIA was one of the places where the GE card is supposed to allow you to go through without taking off your shoes. But looking at the website, I learned that it's just in the AA terminal where that's true, and I was flying DL.

I think there's some confusion.

The Pre-check program may allow you expedited screening (shoes on, laptops in bag, etc). That program is currently only available at certain airports at certain checkpoints for certain airlines. Currently, it doesn't matter which ID you present - the decision to let you through (or not) is contained in a barcode on your boarding pass. You may be allowed to use Pre-check even if you aren't a GE member.

AFAIK, GE, Sentri and Nexus holders all go through the same checks, so all of the IDs should be acceptable. The GE card is relatively new - there are GE members out there who enrolled in the program when it was new - they were never given a GE card and do not need the GE card to use the GE kiosks. They're still eligible for Pre-check, but currently that's only if they're flying the right airline at the right airport and the right checkpoints.

LoganTSO Jan 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 17815785)
The GE card is relatively new.

Key phrase right there. Most likely when ever the TDC procedures get an update, it will be mentioned then.

chollie Jan 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by LoganTSO (Post 17826243)
Key phrase right there. Most likely when ever the TDC procedures get an update, it will be mentioned then.

Which should take how long? They're still not all up-to-date on NEXUS and it has been around for at least a couple years, if not longer.