Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

LAS TSO confiscates Cupcake by claiming its frosting is a "gel"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAS TSO confiscates Cupcake by claiming its frosting is a "gel"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Good God

Originally Posted by cardiomd
....if they were going to "confiscate" them I'd spit on all of them first.
Precisely the first thing I thought of when reading the title of this thread.

Maybe some traveler should make cupcakes and load them with Ex-Lax.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:06 pm

If they don't confiscate frosted cupcakes, next thing you know, every taro-ist in the world is going to stash his nefarious material in a cupcake and bring it on the plane. So, really, if you think about it, confiscating frosted cupcakes makes sense...and eating them for you keeps them out of the landfills. Win-win.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
If I had access to the material I would have wolfed down all of the tops of the cakes. Mmmmm, frosting!

Or, if they were going to "confiscate" them I'd spit on all of them first.
Exactly. Or just dump it in the trash.

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain

Reading the cupcake's label - "Traditional southern style red velvet cake with Madagascar Bourbon vanilla cream cheese buttercream frosting" - is making me hungry too...
The truly amazing part of this story is that she was able to wait to eat that second cupcake until the way home. That looks great!

Here's my question: Pies are allowed. Many pies have fruitish filling on the inside that are far more liquid-like than cupcake frosting. Why was the cupcake taken?

Hope she got the name of the TSOs involved.

Mike
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Billiken
Precisely the first thing I thought of when reading the title of this thread.

Maybe some traveler should make cupcakes and load them with Ex-Lax.
Cupcakes frosted with Ex-Lax are delicious. I know because I did that for my best friend's 16th birthday. She loved it so much she asked for a second (while I had a dozen, only one was "special"). It was revenge for her giving another friend fenamints in the movies.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I am stuggling to see where the officer has stated they are hungry?

That sounds like opinion, rather than fact, and somehow hyperbole has been introduced to try and garner support by making it sound like the officer was somehow confiscating the item for personal gain rather than any other reason.

This story (myth) is busted.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Another reason why TSA is the biggest joke around and needs to be abolished.... I hope this story inspires people to rise up.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:29 pm

Years ago, in the early 2000s, I traveled frequently to a town that had a wonderful bakery. Everything was prepared on premises, and it was all fresh, every day. I always bought a large tray of goodies to bring home and brought that tray through the checkpoint. Cookies, croissants, eclairs, tarts, you name it, it was on that tray. And all of the fillings were "gel".

Now I realize how dangerous all that pastry was. I'm glad that the airplane didn't fall out of the sky. If only I had known, I could have taken the sensible precaution of eating it all the morning before the flight.

Thinking about all the close calls make me shudder in fear. If only I had known.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I am stuggling to see where the officer has stated they are hungry?
According to the bostonchannel story posted above
"In general, cakes and pies are allowed in carry-on luggage," said TSA spokesperson James Fotenos, adding they were looking into why this cupcake was confiscated.
Do you really need to wait for TSA's investigation to be completed before you can conclude that their explanation will be that their TSO was hungry? (All the other possible explanations make the TSO and agency look worse.)
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:27 pm

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 9:01 pm
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
If I had access to the material I would have wolfed down all of the tops of the cakes. Mmmmm, frosting!
I won't eat frosting anymore. It's too much sugar. I have stay away from candy, cupcakes, brownies, cakes and etc. That's why my doctor say no to me. I have keep my blood pressure low. Only that I can eat banana, strawberry and etc.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by littlesheep
I'm confused. Where's the cupcake?

A cupcake is a mushroom like solid object made mostly from flour. This is a jar filled with something, apparently gel-like.

Note: my question is culinary, not about the TSA high-Q.
If what I believe is true, this is why it is a cupcake:
Solid object, made from flour, water, egg, butter, etc. After baking, it is cut into layers. It is layered into the mason jar along with icing. It's like a mini layer cake. The TSO was questioning the icing, not the cupcake itself.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Another terrorist plot foiled by the TSA.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by littlesheep
I'm confused. Where's the cupcake?

A cupcake is a mushroom like solid object made mostly from flour. This is a jar filled with something, apparently gel-like.

Cupcakes in a jar are one of the latest things in the cupcake craze, usually for gift giving. They come in several different types, usually in a small mason jar.

• The cupcake is baked in paper as normal and just dropped into the jar to protect it and look pretty
  • The batter is poured in the jar and baked in the jar and then frosted in the jar to be spooned out when it's eaten
  • A cupcake is sliced into layers, with filling between the layers stacked in the jar

They were a Rachael Ray mention in her magazine in the spring, and were instantly the latest craze.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by cordelli
Cupcakes in a jar are one of the latest things in the cupcake craze, usually for gift giving. They come in several different types, usually in a small mason jar.

• The cupcake is baked in paper as normal and just dropped into the jar to protect it and look pretty
  • The batter is poured in the jar and baked in the jar and then frosted in the jar to be spooned out when it's eaten
  • A cupcake is sliced into layers, with filling between the layers stacked in the jar

They were a Rachael Ray mention in her magazine in the spring, and were instantly the latest craze.
With all the publicity I'll bet Wicked Good Cupcakes of Cohasset gets a ton of orders.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:21 pm

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.