Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

LAS TSO confiscates Cupcake by claiming its frosting is a "gel"

LAS TSO confiscates Cupcake by claiming its frosting is a "gel"

Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Parody Song & Video: "Code Red Velvet: Cupcakes of Mass Destruction"

Six Am Comics has produced a parody song and video; here's the link to it on youtube:

Youtube: Code Red Velvet - Cupcakes of Mass Destruction
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
I am not a gel,I am frosting,I'm icing,I am harmless,I'm confectioners sugar & butter

The Los Angeles Times has a wonderful quote from creator of the TSA Compliant Cupcake:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Times
"I am not a gel, I am frosting, I am icing, I am harmless, I am confectioners sugar and butter!" - Kelly Colgan
Source:
Los Angeles Times:
Bakery's TSA Compliant Cupcake is latest volley in Cupcakegate

January 12, 2012, 10:20 a.m.

It's such a good quote that I bet Carl Kasell will repeat it on next week's episode of Wait Wait...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Compare the cupcake fiasco with a Wiley Coyote scenario of screeners opening a bag, seeing a 4+ pound package labelled "US Government/ACME TNT - DANGER" and ignoring it...

....possibly because it wasn't 'artfully concealed'...

...as a cupcake....
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Cupcake story part two: the cupcake itself

Yesterday, we found ourselves driving to Cohasset, MA, to take our kids to a birthday party at a play gym. As we pulled up to the shopping center where the gym was located, I saw a place called "Wicked Good Cupcakes." The name rang a bell and, sure enough, a google search revealed that this was the infamous cupcake store.

Unfortunately, the store was closed, so we couldn't chat with the proprietor to find out exactly how much free publicity they got (or point them to this thread), but the gym served their cupcakes. Even a day old, the verdict is: Best. Cupcake. Ever.

Anyone who has ever met me will tell you that I am a cupcake expert (and, unfortunately, have the girth to prove it), so I'm confident in my opinion. No jars, but I did have a chocolate cupcake with cream cheese frosting. Messy and gooey, although not really gel-like. Personally, I no longer blame the TSO for confiscating the cupcake.

Bottom line: If you find yourself in Cohasset or neighboring Hingham, it's an easy trip down Route 3A. The store is closed on Sundays.

Mike
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
For those of you who watch Shark Tank, the owners of this fine establishment (the cupcake store, not the TSA) are going to be on Shark Tank tonight.

Mike
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Aw, Mike, why'd you have to go and bump this thread after so long. Now I've got an uncontrollable craving for cupcakes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.