Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Expansion of PreCheck Announced - Does PreCheck Change Your Mind About TSA Policies?

Expansion of PreCheck Announced - Does PreCheck Change Your Mind About TSA Policies?

Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Question Expansion of PreCheck Announced - Does PreCheck Change Your Mind About TSA Policies?

I realize there are numerous points-of-view on the PreCheck trusted traveler program, the expansion of which was announced yesterday.

Admittedly, I'm of two minds. Since I'm listed in both airlines that are participating, I'll probably benefit when flying out of one of the airports in the pilot.

On the other hand, while it lowers the hassle factor for a few, it doesn't really change things for the overwhelming majority of flyers except perhaps to speed things up slightly because the PreCheck people will go through different lines (presuming that a lane was not closed just for PreCheck).

What do you all think?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by jspira
I realize there are numerous points-of-view on the PreCheck trusted traveler program, the expansion of which was announced yesterday.

Admittedly, I'm of two minds. Since I'm listed in both airlines that are participating, I'll probably benefit when flying out of one of the airports in the pilot.

On the other hand, while it lowers the hassle factor for a few, it doesn't really change things for the overwhelming majority of flyers except perhaps to speed things up slightly because the PreCheck people will go through different lines (presuming that a lane was not closed just for PreCheck).

What do you all think?
1% down, 99% to go.

Mike
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by jspira

What do you all think?

Yes, right now it only benefits a few passegers as it is still a pilot program. But what about when it is eventually opened to all passengers to apply, and all airlines at all airports?

I know many FT members on the TS/S site contact their Congress person to protest/complain about TSA, but here is what Sen. Boxer thinks of this program.

http://boxer.senate.gov/en/press/releases/110911.cfm
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SATTSO
Yes, right now it only benefits a few passegers as it is still a pilot program. But what about when it is eventually opened to all passengers to apply, and all airlines at all airports?
Let's just say I'm optimistic
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Priority Platinum, National Executive
here is what Sen. Boxer thinks of this program.
Sen Boxer would be the LAST person I'd listen to an opinion of any Federal program. She's a liberal loon.

Unless a program actually eliminates some of the BS screening procedures (NoS, patdown, etc.) - it is useless in my mind. The elite airline FF lines already speed up the process, we just need to eliminate the useless screening that violates the civil rights of all Americans.

The TSA likes to think of themselves as the "last line of defense" for airline safety - but actually, it is the passengers and crew that are the last line, and best at identifying and stopping threats -as proven with the shoe bomber and BVD bomber attempts. The TSA screening didn't identify or stop those individuals - passengers with proper situational awareness identified the suspiocious behavior and assisted the crew in restraining the bad actors until the aircraft could safely land and the perp taken away by real LEOs.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:55 pm

ADA compliant or discriminatory?

There is a similar thread discussing the practical points of this program, but just in case there's someone reading this one that has any knowledge of this, I ask again.

I would like to know if pre-check participation changes anything significant for disabled travelers that are unable to use WTMD or other scanners. Will the mandatory pat-down procedures change or be eliminated by any percentage at all for medical opt-out participants?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:59 pm

But what about when it is eventually opened to all passengers to apply, and all airlines at all airports?
Can't evaluate it until then. There are too many unknowns at this point. What is involved in "applying"? How much personal information must be released? What fees, if any, must be paid to join the program? Exactly what benefits accrue with being in the program (i.e. which procedures is one exempted from)? The ongoing pilot study may give hints as to the answers --- but if these questions had all been decided upon already, there would be no need for the pilot study.

Don't get me wrong ... I'm guessing this will be A Good Thing. But I'm only guessing at this point --- and so is everyone else.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
No animals should be more equal than others.

Everyone should go through the same screening to access the sterile area, including TSA and airline employees. X-ray of belongings, walk though / hand held metal detector, and Explosive Trace Detection / Explosive Trace Portal. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:38 pm

I have a sneaky feeling that foreigners are never going to be able to apply for this. As a result, when 60% of the flying public is elligible, we will automatically become targets of extra-special super-duper horrible screening tactics for those of us who suspitiously have passports and speak another language.

To put it mildly, Im not optimistic at all.

No one should have to remove shoes, liquids or laptops at the checkpoint.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My short answer: No.

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by N965VJ
What he said.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:06 pm

I know many FT members on the TS/S site contact their Congress person to protest/complain about TSA, but here is what Sen. Boxer thinks of this program.

http://boxer.senate.gov/en/press/releases/110911.cfm
Hmmm, you mean like the whole rest of the world?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
But what about when it is eventually opened to all passengers to apply, and all airlines at all airports?
Does "all passengers" include people who are not US citizens and/or live in the US? After all, such people fly within the USA every day.

Does "all passengers" include those who fly one round-trip every third year to visit grandchildren on the other side of the country, on a carefully researched discounted economy fare, for whom a $100 application fee would be too expensive? After all, such people fly within the USA every day.

Does "all passengers" include those who fly rarely, on different airlines, and therefore don't belong to or qualify for an airline's frequent flyer or elite program? After all, such people fly within the USA every day.

Does "all passengers" include a person who has never flown before but suddenly needs to fly across the country at short notice - to see a dying relative or go for a last-minute job interview - and won't have time for an application process? After all, such people fly within the USA every day.

Until the answer to all of the above is "yes", all this program is doing is creating a two-class society at the airport. And despite the fact that I don't belong to any of the groups listed above, I don't think that's acceptable. And as BubbaLoop said, I suspect it will make things even worse for the "have nots" as the entire TSA workfarce can concentrate its efforts on the "suspicious" minority.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:18 pm

Why should I feel better about a program which treats a very small percentage of travellers the way that the vast majority of airline travellers are currently treated around the world? (Well, frankly there is still the human element, and I don't believe that will improve with this program, so I still think that we will continue to be treated better outside the US, even with the program in place)

As RadioGirl points out, most likely it will continue to exclude a large number of people, including those of us who have clearance higher than most FTers, but who will most likely not qualify for any such program in the US.

Forgive me for being a little cynical, but I just passed through an airport security checkpoint moments ago in the US. It is one of the largest and a major international gateway yet I was singled out for my 'furrinerness' and had a significant delay as a result of not fitting the mold that the security staff were expecting at their checkpoint.

Last edited by exbayern; Nov 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm Reason: I'm 'furrin', not 'furri'!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I understand the Animal Farm reference, yet I would like to post a contrary opinion.

80+ times per year I have my name compared to any number of secret lists and each time I am cleared.

80+ times per year I present a valid ID to the TDC and get the magic squiggle.

80+ times per year I voluntarily submit my possessions for an xray inspection and whether it is initially cleared or must undergo additional tests, it always clears.

80+ times a year I submit to a screening of my person that may include WTMD or a scan of my virtually naked body, or a opt out and frisk from the same.

80+ times a year my checked luggage is voluntarily submitted for screening and physical inspection as needed, every time without incident.

Except for the times I use an unrecognized NEXUS, or insist on not being visually separated from my belongings, or add to their work by opting out, my clearing is uneventful.

As a practical matter, my screening could be less intensive than the occasional traveler, not because I am an any way special or better, but simply because I have a history that shows that I have a high likelihood of trustworthiness. It is not to say that the casual traveler is not trustworthy. It only says that they have not had an opportunity based on repeated successful clearings to demonstrate that trustworthiness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.