Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 6, 11, 2:14 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in the sky
Posts: 490
TSA agent threatens woman with defamation lawsuit.

sorry, I don't know how to imbed link properly:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...06/11065015824

I really *would* like to see this case argued.
loops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 2:26 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Programs: United
Posts: 2,717
I am gonna need my popcorn. I wonder if the TSO got permission before starting this lawsuit.
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 2:27 pm   #3
Talkboard Vice President; Moderator: Marriott Rewards forum & Travel with Children
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunrise, FL
Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Platinum Premier Hertz President's Club
Posts: 12,613
Wow, great response to the threat of a lawsuit!

Bruce
bdschobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 2:53 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
sorry, I don't know how to imbed link properly:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...06/11065015824

I really *would* like to see this case argued.
Sometimes I wish I hadn't retired from practicing trial law. This would be a hugely fun case with respect to many issues. One fertile area is that of alleged damages claimed by Clerk Magee. Damages for defamation involve "damage to reputation. So Johan et Pirlouit character Magee's reputation and character are at issue and a ripe area for discovery. It becomes not only prudent but necessary to investigate every potentially untoward incident that might reflect on reputation. Every sexual encounter, male or female,canine or caprine, would need to be deeply investigated. Had she even shoplifted a Baby Ruth in High School? Tattoos? Piercings? Abortions? Did she seem to like it when her pet dog humped her leg?Remember the issue she opens up by filing such a suit is not whether she ever did anything that WAS wrong; it is whether she ever did anything that people in the community might think was wrong. Unlike most cases, where it is character that might be the issue, here it is reputation in the community that she must claim was damaged and that opens the door.
After having fun with Blue Meanie Magee (Wow! Alliteration) we could take a baseball bat upside the head of the TSA. A necessary issue would be whether our cerulean fingered, stannum badged <redacted, so no feelings get hurt> followed SOP. So, a Rule 26 Document Demand accompanied by a Rule 45 Subpoena Duces Tecum gets served demanding that the full, unredacted, non Blogdad Bob edited SOP, gets produced. Finally, we get to see the sacred scroll. They refuse? I will go to sleep tonight dreaming of perp walking Pistole to the contempt slammer."Do you, the jury, believe that the Defendant Alkon was justified in describing the actions of Plaintiff Magee as rape?" When the jury answers "Yes", the headlines the next day will be "Jury finds that TSA raped passenger." Can you say "tipping point?"
And when her former manager is asked, "Was she fired because Alkon called it rape?" he will answer, "No, it's because Magee endangered our ability to successfully suck up the taxpayers' milk by filing this idiotic lawsuit that we fired her."
And we can probably find out whether the badges really are chocolate inside a tin foil wrapper.

Last edited by 4nsicdoc; Sep 6, 11 at 3:39 pm. Reason: the truth hurts
4nsicdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 3:06 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SEA/YVR
Programs: UA1K BIS Million Mile Flyer, HH Diamond, IC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 8,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Wow, great response to the threat of a lawsuit!

Bruce
Ms. Alkon certainly found herself an enthusiastic defense lawyer who is clearly committed to her case.
Fredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 3:17 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in the sky
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Medic View Post
I am gonna need my popcorn. I wonder if the TSO got permission before starting this lawsuit.
I wondered this myself.

butter/salt? lime/chile? (yum)
loops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 3:20 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 30
I really hope that a lawsuit, if actually filed by the tso, will be thrown out before trial on the grounds mentioned by Ms. Alkon's lawyer.

But, if it did go to trial I would love to see how the tsa will try to squirm out of producing the SOP, that they would have to show, in order to prove that the tso was doing her job properly.

Either way it is more bad publicity for the tsa.

Mych
Mych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 3:33 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc View Post
A necessary issue would be whether our cerulean fingered, stannum badged groper followed SOP. So, a Rule 26 Document Demand accompanied by a Rule 45 Subpoena Duces Tecum gets served demanding that the full, unredacted, non Blogdad Bob edited SOP, gets produced. Finally, we get to see the sacred scroll.
This would be the only reason I would like to see this one go to trial - especially since, the TSA agent's attorney letter notes that she was following standard operating procedure.

It's not like the TSA can't tell her she can't sue Ms. Alkon, which opens them up for a lawsuit, in my non-lawyerly opinion. If I had to guess, TSA may even push back and say she wasn't following SOP, but then that opens them up to a lawsuit... And it'd be interesting to see the plaintiff need to sue the TSA to allow her to provide the SOP as the main part of her case.

Last edited by Mientree; Sep 6, 11 at 3:38 pm. Reason: after thought...
Mientree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 3:59 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wherever liberty is threatened
Programs: TSA Disparager Silver
Posts: 315
Since the TechDirt article is already linked, here are the two Advice Goddess articles.

Don't Give The TSA An Easy Time Of Violating Your Rights - this is the one where she makes the accusation.

Breaking News: The TSA Agent Who Visited My Vagina - her response to the lawsuit.
Ayn R Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 4:03 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
I wondered this myself.

butter/salt? lime/chile? (yum)
I'd like mine lightly salted please.
nachtnebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 4:09 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in the sky
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtnebel View Post
I'd like mine lightly salted please.
Freshly ground sea salt ok? It's a sensible option with the humidity around here, normal don't cut it. I'm using an air popper btw. <g>

<edit to add> Thank you Ayn R Key for the additional links.

From the first column relating the letter she received regarding filing a sexual assault suit against the TSO:

Quote:
Harvey Silverglate, lawyer and co-founder of the wonderful campus free speech defenders, FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education), emailed me this: <I snipped introductory paragraphs from this letter>

...To win a battle for liberty like this, people must not get accustomed to these indignities, but must complain about them every single time ... and in every forum possible.
and from Amy:

Quote:
I'll echo Harvey in asking that you all do as I did (and that you spread the word to do as I did): Don't make it easy for the government, through these TSA lackeys, to be violating us -- sexually, and in respect to our right to not be searched without probable cause.

And no -- the fact that some people are terrorists is NOT probable cause. The fact that you are wearing underwire is NOT probable cause. And no -- the fact that you, in 2011, are unwilling to hitchhike thousands of miles instead of taking a plane is NOT probable cause.

The rights of vast number of Americans are being violated daily and it is absolutely essential that we all stand up and defend our rights -- and as loudly and vociferously as possible.

Are you in? Spread the word.

Last edited by loops; Sep 6, 11 at 4:25 pm. Reason: added quotes
loops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 4:24 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 175
Maybe one of our FT atty's. will chime in, but to me, it would seem the defendant's atty. purposely didn't mention the pachyderm in proximity. Countersuit.
Rondall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 4:42 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayn R Key View Post
Since the TechDirt article is already linked, here are the two Advice Goddess articles.

Don't Give The TSA An Easy Time Of Violating Your Rights - this is the one where she makes the accusation.

Breaking News: The TSA Agent Who Visited My Vagina - her response to the lawsuit.
A minor technical point, but one that needs to be made, is that the slope-headed, slack-jawed mouth-breathing minion of Janet Incompitano has not filed a lawsuit. It was a demand letter. That is the normal first shot over the bow in what California law calls a "strategic lawsuit against public participation" or SLAPP suit, something that California has expressly prohibited by enacting anti-SLAPP legislation. So idiot TSO's idiot lawyer files such a suit, loses when Pistole throws her under the bus (no - wait - it would be a 747-800 with 100% screened cargo, wouldn't it?). Then under the Cal. law they get to pay all of our heroine's legal fees and expenses. That, given the lineup of volunteers like the Popehat Group ( http://www.popehat.com/2011/09/06/co...ug-theyll-sue/) and others, including myself, those fees and costs should be enough to bankrupt this sexual pervert, induce homelessness, hunger and poverty and, hopefully, result in one less pervert sucking our oxygen. I think Clerk Magee and her lawyer underestimate the abject hatred of her kind that exists. And not because of what Amy said, but because Magee is still alive.
4nsicdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 4:50 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SEA/YVR
Programs: UA1K BIS Million Mile Flyer, HH Diamond, IC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 8,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc View Post
A minor technical point, but one that needs to be made...
Stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think.
Fredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 11, 4:55 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc View Post
So [redacted] TSO's [redacted] lawyer files such a suit, loses when Pistole throws her under the bus
Which is why the lawsuit would probably never reach a verdict. As I understand it, this action would be a civil suit, not a criminal one. If the TSO's lawyer saw the TSA "throwing her under the bus", I think they'd drop the suit rather quickly; there's no point in pursuing a case that can't be won.
jkhuggins is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 pm.