Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA agent threatens woman with defamation lawsuit.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA agent threatens woman with defamation lawsuit.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So if a lawful court of the United States orders TSA to do something TSA is going to not honor that lawful order which was made under existing United States law?
The TSA's position is the same as nearly all Federal agencies: They all obey Supreme Court decisions, because those are the law of the land. They generally obey Circuit Court decisions within that circuit but not necessarily elsewhere. They obey District Court decisions only with respect to that case and do not regard them as precedential.

Look at the IRS for a long history of how this plays out. The TSA seems to be following the same playbook.

Bruce
Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
This story was just addressed on Fox and Friends. The Judge (Napolitano) was supportive of the bloggers right to say what she wanted about her treatment at the CP.
^^ Not a fan of Fox News, but I love Judge Napolitano as well as his show, Freedom Watch.

Will be interesting to see if the ITS (intent to sue) letter results in an actual action being filed.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So if a lawful court of the United States orders TSA to do something TSA is going to not honor that lawful order which was made under existing United States law?
Sometimes the government and the court reach agreements that keep the information from public disclosure. I am not certain that a civil court can compel something classified as SSI or higher, be released in open court. Again, technical scenario that I am certain that I am not qualified to be an authority on.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Sometimes the government and the court reach agreements that keep the information from public disclosure. I am not certain that a civil court can compel something classified as SSI or higher, be released in open court.
It absolutely can. First of all SSI is an internal policy unrelated to any of the various federal secrets acts which reach everyone in the country, as opposed to SSI, which is a constraint only on TSA personnel. Second, courts have a vehicle called a "writ of mandate," or, sometimes, just a, "mandamus," which is an order specifically directed to a government actor requiring either that the actor do something or refrain from doing something. Ignoring a mandamus is punishable as contempt of court and can result in the jailing of the specific government actor who has ignored the mandamus.

Courts tend to be sympathetic to government claims of burden or secrecy. That doesn't mean, however, that judges will simply acquiesce in every such claim. Someday, a court is going to issue mandamus directed to someone at TSA and send the marshals out to enforce it.

Again, technical scenario that I am certain that I am not qualified to be an authority on.
I'm not an authority, either, but I'm fairly certain I'm reasonably correct on these points.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:51 pm

How is it possible to "defame" a government agency? I thought the First Amendment pretty much blocked such a thing. I mean, the press can say what it wants. And the reasoning for that is the need for free flow of ideas. It would amaze me if somehow there was a curb on the right of individuals to complain about government behavior.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
It absolutely can. First of all SSI is an internal policy unrelated to any of the various federal secrets acts which reach everyone in the country, as opposed to SSI, which is a constraint only on TSA personnel. Second, courts have a vehicle called a "writ of mandate," or, sometimes, just a, "mandamus," which is an order specifically directed to a government actor requiring either that the actor do something or refrain from doing something. Ignoring a mandamus is punishable as contempt of court and can result in the jailing of the specific government actor who has ignored the mandamus.

Courts tend to be sympathetic to government claims of burden or secrecy. That doesn't mean, however, that judges will simply acquiesce in every such claim. Someday, a court is going to issue mandamus directed to someone at TSA and send the marshals out to enforce it.

I'm not an authority, either, but I'm fairly certain I'm reasonably correct on these points.
Otherwise, TSA would find reason to blindfold passengers prior to the checkpoint?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by IslandBased
Otherwise, TSA would find reason to blindfold passengers prior to the checkpoint?
Don't give them any ideas...

Mike
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Don't give them any ideas...

Mike
Wait a second! Its the TSOs who should be wearing blindfolds! And nose plugs! ewwww
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:25 pm

I will bow to your obviously better informed self!

SSI was used by the FAA before TSA ever came into being, and it appears that only TSA, the FAA and in some cases the DOT use it at this point (I could be wrong, others may use it as well, but to the best of my knowledge, those are the only ones currently using it).

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
How is it possible to "defame" a government agency? I thought the First Amendment pretty much blocked such a thing. I mean, the press can say what it wants. And the reasoning for that is the need for free flow of ideas. It would amaze me if somehow there was a curb on the right of individuals to complain about government behavior.
Yes and no, this (based on the printed stories I have found) was a direct accusation by one person to another. The TSO was evidently accused of "rape" (by Ms. Alkons own admission), and if they feel that was libelous, they are free to file the claim as any other person is.

As far as voicing opinions about the actions or government policies and such, that would be a different story, but this appears to be a direct accusation, which if unfounded may be considered libelous.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 5:25 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
They generally obey Circuit Court decisions within that circuit but not necessarily elsewhere.
They "obey" Aukai nationwide.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one with respect to SSI. The TSA takes the position that the only bodies that can compel disclosure to SSI are the Courts of Appeal, and I think that there is some actual statutory basis for that view (it isn't based in imaginary law like a lot of their legal views). In every District Court case involving the TSA that I've read, I have never seen the forced disclosure of SSI. The TSA will sometimes let TSOs and others testify as to certain SSI and will sometimes allow consul access to SSI (that is happening in the NFL case in Oregon right now), but I do not believe that anything short of a CCA and compel disclosure of SSI nor have I seen such a case.

Ditto.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Yes and no, this (based on the printed stories I have found) was a direct accusation by one person to another. The TSO was evidently accused of "rape" (by Ms. Alkons own admission), and if they feel that was libelous, they are free to file the claim as any other person is.

As far as voicing opinions about the actions or government policies and such, that would be a different story, but this appears to be a direct accusation, which if unfounded may be considered libelous.
Truth is anyone can say "I'll sue you for defamation". Part of free speech. Bringing the lawsuit, keeping it from being thrown out, that's a different matter. People love to say "I'm gonna sue", even when caught doing something wrong. Sometimes it does serve to intimidate. Remember when beef growers threatened Oprah. There was a joke, given the ability of Oprah to marshal a legal team like no one before. But, again, it was an attempt to use civil action to suppress free speech. So, yeh, I can totally see some TSO blurting out that. Winning a court case? TOTALLY different matter!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Truth is anyone can say "I'll sue you for defamation". Part of free speech. Bringing the lawsuit, keeping it from being thrown out, that's a different matter. People love to say "I'm gonna sue", even when caught doing something wrong. Sometimes it does serve to intimidate. Remember when beef growers threatened Oprah. There was a joke, given the ability of Oprah to marshal a legal team like no one before. But, again, it was an attempt to use civil action to suppress free speech. So, yeh, I can totally see some TSO blurting out that. Winning a court case? TOTALLY different matter!
Agreed, it will be a difficult case regardless of the outcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.