Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA agent threatens woman with defamation lawsuit.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA agent threatens woman with defamation lawsuit.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc
Sometimes I wish I hadn't retired from practicing trial law. This would be a hugely fun case with respect to many issues. One fertile area is that of alleged damages claimed by Clerk Magee. Damages for defamation involve "damage to reputation. So Johan et Pirlouit character Magee's reputation and character are at issue and a ripe area for discovery. It becomes not only prudent but necessary to investigate every potentially untoward incident that might reflect on reputation. Every sexual encounter, male or female,canine or caprine, would need to be deeply investigated. Had she even shoplifted a Baby Ruth in High School? Tattoos? Piercings? Abortions? Did she seem to like it when her pet dog humped her leg?Remember the issue she opens up by filing such a suit is not whether she ever did anything that WAS wrong; it is whether she ever did anything that people in the community might think was wrong. Unlike most cases, where it is character that might be the issue, here it is reputation in the community that she must claim was damaged and that opens the door.
After having fun with Blue Meanie Magee (Wow! Alliteration) we could take a baseball bat upside the head of the TSA. A necessary issue would be whether our cerulean fingered, stannum badged <redacted, so no feelings get hurt> followed SOP. So, a Rule 26 Document Demand accompanied by a Rule 45 Subpoena Duces Tecum gets served demanding that the full, unredacted, non Blogdad Bob edited SOP, gets produced. Finally, we get to see the sacred scroll. They refuse? I will go to sleep tonight dreaming of perp walking Pistole to the contempt slammer."Do you, the jury, believe that the Defendant Alkon was justified in describing the actions of Plaintiff Magee as rape?" When the jury answers "Yes", the headlines the next day will be "Jury finds that TSA raped passenger." Can you say "tipping point?"
And when her former manager is asked, "Was she fired because Alkon called it rape?" he will answer, "No, it's because Magee endangered our ability to successfully suck up the taxpayers' milk by filing this idiotic lawsuit that we fired her."
And we can probably find out whether the badges really are chocolate inside a tin foil wrapper.
As a member of the bar, I am grateful you are retired.

There are so many things in here that should get an attorney sanctioned it is sad and pathetic.

If you disagree with the SOP of TSA, there are ways to approach the problem. Getting jollies from implying a TSA worker practices bestiality is not one of them.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
If this ever gets to court, I don't see why the SOP would be at all relevant. This isn't a criminal proceeding to determine whether the crime of rape was committed. It's a civil proceding to determine if the passenger was reasonable in her description of the event as "rape". But a "reasonable passenger" doesn't have knowlege of what's in the SOP and therefore couldn't be using it to make a determination of whether what happened was or was not "rape". Therefore it's not material to the case.
The attorney for Magee made it an issue by claiming that Magee's actions were in conformity with SOP. Further, discovery is not limited to only "relevant" evidence. Discoery is also allowed in respect of any evidence that might lead to the discovery of something that is relevant. For example, let's assume just for the sake of argument that the SOP does call for penetration of bodily orifices. That makes the terms of the SOP itself relevant. Even if the SOP (System of Offensive Practices?) doesn't go that far, then an issue of whether Magee exceeded the procedure by so much that it amounts to rape surely exists. With Magee using the "I only did what the SOP requires"defense, the SOP is not only discoverable but itself relevant under both the California Evidence Code or the Federal Rules of Evidence.
Bt the way, you seem to be using "releant" and "material" interchangibly. They are different concepts in evidence law. If I unloaded a right hook (since that's the only arm I have that works) on SATTSO (I know, you shouldn't hit girls.) The fact of a broken nose would be relevant but not material in a criminal assault case, since the only issue would be whether I hit it/he/she. In a civil case resulting from the assault, it would be both, since damages are in issue.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Terribly terribly insulted anyone would think I was a woman!
Since they are simply inferior to manly men, right???
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Well, the possibility that no one seems to want to mention is that Ms. Alkon is exaggerating her experience that day and that the pat-down she received was no worse than what everyone else goes through when they opt out (not that it's OK). I do think that what the TSA is doing is basically sexual assault but I don't think Ms. Alkon is doing anyone any favors by calling it rape. I wonder if she has any witnesses that can testify that the feel-up went past the normal "resistance."
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by NoParachute
Getting jollies from implying a TSA worker practices bestiality is not one of them.
I didn't imply it. You inferred it. I was simply making the point that if there was a good faith basis for believing that this predatory plaintiff had engaged in caprine capers, it was an area of legitimate inquiry in discovery. Congratulations, though, on knowing what the word means.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by mpattdu
Well, the possibility that no one seems to want to mention is that Ms. Alkon is exaggerating her experience that day and that the pat-down she received was no worse than what everyone else goes through when they opt out (not that it's OK). I do think that what the TSA is doing is basically sexual assault but I don't think Ms. Alkon is doing anyone any favors by calling it rape. I wonder if she has any witnesses that can testify that the feel-up went past the normal "resistance."
Nope, not buying this as valid because there is no "what everyone goes through" for comparison. Every time you go through an opt out, it can range from an old style pat down to total assault and molestation, you just have no idea of what is "policy" and what is not. I have had one experience despite many opt outs where i walked away feeling absolutely dirty after going through a patdown that was just over the top too intense and invasive, i no longer had questions about someone over reacting with tears from a patdown, yelling rape or the many concerns of sexual abuse / rape survivors with this process.

Every patdown is different, but we the people are not permitted to know what is acceptable or not even within the TSA
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdschobel
This lawsuit may be doomed to failure but it hardly qualifies as frivolous. The chances that a judge would force the plaintiff to pay the defendant's legal fees seem very low to me.

Bruce
http://www.casp.net/california-anti-...rces/statutes/

Looks to me that it's pretty cut and dried.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Can you explain the legal theory that makes that determination relevant to the case? I don't see it.
I can't explain any legal theory, but the TSO's attorney claims that
At all times my client followed proper procedure in connection with your screening at LAX. Notwithstanding that proper procedure, you falsely accused my client of rape, which is actionable.
If the TSO is offering the argument that her actions did not constitute rape, because she followed proper procedure, then isn't the defendant entitled to address that argument?

I don't know if it would be relevant / material if the TSO had a decent attorney, but if one attorney opens up a can of worms, then my understanding is the other party is entitled to count the worms. Is there a name for that legal theory?

Since they are simply inferior to manly men, right???
I'm going to give SATTSO a pass on that one. Most people are a little offended when someone mistakes their gender. If someone referred to me as "him", I would be irritated, and not simply because men are inferior to women. That's why I avoid confusion by referring to all infants as "it".
Old Sep 9, 2011, 5:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by n4zhg
http://www.casp.net/california-anti-...rces/statutes/

Looks to me that it's pretty cut and dried.
I believe that you have identified the correct statue (Anti-Slapp).

However, there is very little in law that is "pretty cut and dried." There is no constitutional right to libelous speech. A, saying that someone raped you is an accusation of a crime and therefore likely to be libel per se if: a) untrue; b) not phrased as an opinion. (Of course, there is always "c)" which is "or if the judge/jury doesn't like you.")

I doubt that this TSO will win, from what has been stated here. First, the "opinion" of rape seems to be a valid defense. Second, I agree that the whole kerfluffle with how the SOP will be handled makes the case more complicated.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:25 pm

For example, let's assume just for the sake of argument that the SOP does call for penetration of bodily orifices. That makes the terms of the SOP itself relevant.
Why? The passenger doesn't know the SOP and isn't allowed to know it. The question before the jury, which is whether it's reasonable for the passenger to call what happened "rape", has to be determined with the information that a passenger has, not some unavailable information.

If I'm walking down the street and somebody pulls out a gun and points it at me and I'm able to get out my gun first and kill that person before they can shoot, the question of whether their gun was loaded or working properly is legally irrelevant. Likewise is what was in the mind of the person pulling the gun on me. A reasonable person is entitled, in that situation, to make the assumption that the gun is a threat.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
If the TSO is offering the argument that her actions did not constitute rape, because she followed proper procedure, then isn't the defendant entitled to address that argument?
Sure, by making the legal claim that it's irrelevant whether the TSO did or did not follow the proper procedure. That's a stronger argument anyway.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:37 pm

The attorney fees provision here applies only if the defendant wins an anti-SLAPP motion. If she wins any other kind of dispositive motion (demurrer, summary judgment, etc.) she can't get fees under this statute and she's back to the much more difficult requirements of CCP 128.7.

SLAPP's are not cut and dried. While this action would certainly meet the first part of the statute (it implicates free speech) it only has to have "minimal merit" for the plaintiff to win the motion. The plaintiff would just have to show there's speech that could, possibly, maybe, be defamatory. That is not at all a high bar to hurdle, especially when it will be uncontested that the defamatory speech in question is an accusation of rape.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
There is something insulting about being a woman?
Yes. Actually, that was a sarcastic post. Wouldn't be insulted at all.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
I could post that I am a male and my initials are 'JP' and I am very high up in DHS, but that doesn't make it so....

You self-identify as a TSO, but you're embarrassed to be 'outed' as a woman? I think it would make more sense the other way around.
Nope. I am not embarrassed to be "outed as a woman". Not at all.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:06 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by greentips
On information and belief, my opinion is: SATTSO is a boy. (In my book you are now un-neutered.)
lol thanks! ^:-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.