Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Palm Springs Airport Evacuated for Nothing

Palm Springs Airport Evacuated for Nothing

Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Years ago, I fell asleep at FRA, the same day as a small bomb was exploded outside the airport, so there was added security. I was awakened by police who asked me to take my bag and follow them. I was directed to a room with no windows. I was told to take each item out of the bag and hold it up to a tv camera. After I did so, the door opens, and I was told I could go on my way. I was a little nervous, but there were no flight delays, no fear among other travellers, no evacuations, etc. Seems the German police had their act together.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:27 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Because the passenger's response has no relevance to the problem at hand.

The passenger will always respond with some plausible explanation of what the item is. Even in the extremely rare case where the item was, in fact, a bomb, the passenger would respond with some plausible explanation. Therefore, the passenger's response offers no useful information to the TSO.
So use a freaking water cannon to destroy luggage which the TSA can't figure out?!?!

Although the TSA obviously can't base the decision to clear an item on what a pax says it is, surely common sense would dictate that the pax's explanation could go a long way to resolving the issue without resorting to destroying the bag!

I mean, come on. Pax says, "Oh, yes, I forgot I had a jar of peanut butter in there." Is the logical thing to do: (1) blow the bag up just in case; or (2) swab the bag for ETD, and then take a look manually at the item(s) in question?

I hope the pax sues the crap out of the TSA and the individual "9 year TSA veteran" who identified the "anomaly," and anyone else involved, too. No, I don't think those suits will go far, but they would at least bring some much-needed publicity to the TSA idiocy in situations like this.

I'm reminded of the morons in DEN who threatened to turn me over to the FBI "because of the times we live in" and the fact they can't handle ETD swabs properly and who detained me for nearly an hour. "Abundance of caution" my behind. Abundance of stupidity is more like it.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
The important thing to take away from all of this is that the 9 year veteran of the TSA was WRONG. He should be fired immediately for his idiocy.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Because the passenger's response has no relevance to the problem at hand.

The passenger will always respond with some plausible explanation of what the item is. Even in the extremely rare case where the item was, in fact, a bomb, the passenger would respond with some plausible explanation. Therefore, the passenger's response offers no useful information to the TSO.
NOT TRUE!!!!! You must have forgotten that the exhaustively trained, awesomely skilled BDOs can tell at an instance whether the passenger's response is true or not. In fact, in only a few moments most BDO's can use something like a Vulcan mind-meld to know what the passenger knows!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
The important thing to take away from all of this is that the 9 year veteran of the TSA was WRONG. He should be fired immediately for his idiocy.
Or, to be more accurate, he should have been fired immediately. You know, two and a half years ago, when this happened.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
"At approximately 5:45 a.m. PDT, Transportation Security Administration officers at Palm Springs International Airport detected a suspicious item while X-ray screening a passenger's carry-on bag. For the safety of the travelers, the terminal has been evacuated and the checkpoint is closed."

TSA employee are NOT officers but normal employees.
Calling them officers is a big disgraces to real (Police etc) officers
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Or, to be more accurate, he should have been fired immediately. You know, two and a half years ago, when this happened.
So much for MY reading comprehension skills!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.