Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated thoughts on the "Trusted" traveler program

Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Hi folks,
I am seeing more and more references out there that are leading me to believe that this will be a "front of line/shoes on/laptops in bags" enhancement only.

I am not getting the impression that this will change anything with regards to actual body scanning.

If that is indeed the case (just my guess at this point since they have to be *so* secretive about everything) then I am thinking that allowing the TSA to access my frequent flier travel history and allowing them to barcode scan my BP every time I go through the airport just isn't worth it.

If that is the case I will decline to participate. Unfortunately I think this is a stepping stone to eventually make bar coding on ALL boarding passes so that everyone can be tracked. This is their way to start off slowly with a nice little "option" before they make it mandatory. By that time people will be "used to it" and there will be less resistance.

Hello Mr. Frog, meet water pot.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
You don't need to guess.

You don't need to speculate.

You don't need to "get impressions".

They are not being secretive about it.

Here it is, straight from the horse's a**, uh, mouth:
Pistole's interview in Denver: http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...raveler-pilot/
Noting the possibility of allowing trusted travelers to keep their shoes on and their laptop in a carry-on in airport security lanes, Pistole said the TSA's main objective is to provide a free program available to the country's top travelers in order to remove the hassle of travel.

Q (Travel Weekly): Is there any analysis on how much time will be saved?
A (JPIAI): We have done quite a bit on that, but I don't want to go into detail. Clearly, if someone doesn't have to take their shoes off, you could assign a specific time to that in terms the X-ray viewing and putting their shoes back on. We have some metrics with that, and with the laptop and briefcase. The idea is to expedite the physical screening because we have done the intelligence screening.
Anyone who thinks trusted traveler means no NoS or groping is in for a big disappointment.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
While keeping my laptop in my backpack, and my shoes on my feet, I might save one minute. I'm not going to pay for that, unless I know that I won't be sent to the Nude-O-Scope.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
My question is whether or not the opt-out is possible in the expedited line. I agree that shoes on / laptop in the bag isn't much of an improvement at all. I use slip on shoes and have a top loading laptop case. The biggest delay is removing all metallic (and non-metallic) items.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by TXagogo
I am not getting the impression that this will change anything with regards to actual body scanning.

...allowing the TSA to access my frequent flier travel history and allowing them to barcode scan my BP every time I go through the airport just isn't worth it.

If that is the case I will decline to participate. Unfortunately I think this is a stepping stone to eventually make bar coding on ALL boarding passes so that everyone can be tracked. This is their way to start off slowly with a nice little "option" before they make it mandatory. By that time people will be "used to it" and there will be less resistance. .
I am still hopeful that the expedited screening line will feed into a WTMD with occasional 'random' additional searches at the 3% rate they always mention.

Since I am in my early thirties, I have very little pre-9/11 air travel history; so the government probably already has most of my records.

They already make the airline feed them a list of who is traveling on each flight; how much additional info would they gain by barcoding our BPs?

The only question that occurred to me was whether AA will report flights outside of the TSA's domain to the TSA. For example, if I am in Europe and fly CDG-FRA using my AAdvantage number, will TSA now have access to that information? (I'm assuming they wouldn't have that info now... which is not necessarily a valid assumption.)
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does Anybody Realize What's Going On Here?

Pissy is overtly creating class warfare. He's banking on the fact that many frequent flyers will gladly surrender their backgrounds and pay a fee to become a member of the "privileged class." He's dangling carrots in front of us like: "You don't have to take off your shoes." or "You can leave your laptop in your bag." and many will take the bait. He's created a whole class of people who now owe him. He keeps them hooked because everyone of the privileged class knows that Pissy can also take away these privileges at any time for any reason. So, the privileged class must obey and not commit even the slightest infraction. He also effectively removes a lot of people from the fight.

This is exactly a major reason why the Communists stayed in power as long as they did -- creating a privileged class who you control.

Because of my job and my background investigations, I could instantly become part of this privileged class, as could a lot of you. But, I, for one, am going to stay in this fight until we get our Constitution back.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:09 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Pissy is overtly creating class warfare. He's banking on the fact that many frequent flyers will gladly surrender their backgrounds and pay a fee to become a member of the "privileged class." He's dangling carrots in front of us like: "You don't have to take off your shoes." or "You can leave your laptop in your bag." and many will take the bait. He's created a whole class of people who now owe him. He keeps them hooked because everyone of the privileged class knows that Pissy can also take away these privileges at any time for any reason. So, the privileged class must obey and not commit even the slightest infraction. He also effectively removes a lot of people from the fight.
Well, as you said, he is removing as many people from the fight as possible. Remember at the beginning even flight crews, airport workers and everyone were subjected to the new procedures with the NoS and resistance - or is it torso now? - patdown. Enough pilots complained as well as flight attendants, so they both got exempted. Then airport workers wouldn't put up with those shenanigans every morning to go to work so they were exempted too. Now the frequent flyer community - and probably the one most likely to be vocal about it in terms of revenue passengers - will be the next to go. You'll be left with the once-a-year air travelers - I forget if the k word was banned on TS&S - in the regular line with anyone who'd create a scene quietly being shifted to dedicated checkpoints.

I will keep an open mind about the program, but if it's just shoes on/laptops in cases it's not worth it to me. I'll take my chances in the general lane and do a SDOO or real opt-out if it comes to that.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:17 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Pissy is overtly creating class warfare. ...

Because of my job and my background investigations, I could instantly become part of this privileged class, as could a lot of you. But, I, for one, am going to stay in this fight until we get our Constitution back.
+1e6

I hope enough FFs stand with you. I worry, though, that the AFS mantra "If it keeps us safe, I don't care what they do." has become the FF's creed "If I don't get irradiated, I don't care what they know."

I also hope that they (continue to?) exclude non-US citizens from the program, to the point where potential tourism/business travelers stay away in droves.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:06 am

Pissy is overtly creating class warfare. He's banking on the fact that many frequent flyers will gladly surrender their backgrounds and pay a fee to become a member of the "privileged class."
That's one way to look at it. Another is that the people who object the most will be able to have expedited screening and those in the "anything for safety" camp will be able to have the full screening they want. What's wrong with that?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:28 am

And what of the wheelchairs and anomalies of a nature that most would consider private? The involuntary accessories of life that some of us travel with in addition to shoes, laptops and liquids?

Trusted or no?

If not, how about a frequent full search program? After so many (pick a number) full body searches failing to turn up scary stuff :-:, the occasional random free roll through security?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Noting the possibility of allowing trusted travelers to keep their shoes on and their laptop in a carry-on in airport security lanes, Pistole said the TSA's main objective is to provide a free program available to the country's top travelers in order to remove the hassle of travel.
How is the X-ray operator going to know that the bag with the laptop still in it belongs to a "Trusted Traveler"?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

This is exactly a major reason why the Communists stayed in power as long as they did -- creating a privileged class who you control.

+1000

It's dangerous when they start dangling things like this and people are reacting like it's a carrot. It distracts from the real issue of why they do it at all.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
+1e6

I hope enough FFs stand with you. I worry, though, that the AFS mantra "If it keeps us safe, I don't care what they do." has become the FF's creed "If I don't get irradiated, I don't care what they know."

I also hope that they (continue to?) exclude non-US citizens from the program, to the point where potential tourism/business travelers stay away in droves.
I'm not a US citizen. I've lived, worked and paid taxes in the USA since 1996, but have never had the desire or inclination to naturalise. Therefore, the Trusted Traveller programme is not open to me. Even if it were I wouldn't join. The more I see of this kind of thing, the less inclined I am to apply for citizenship.

This is clearly another divide and conquer tactic.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by loops
And what of the wheelchairs and anomalies of a nature that most would consider private? ...
Terrorists, bviously.

Originally Posted by javabytes
+1000

It's dangerous when they start dangling things like this and people are reacting like it's a carrot. It distracts from the real issue of why they do it at all.
Bingo.

People should be asking why scope and grope is even happening. Instead they want to know where to sign up, how to sign up, and what it entails. Epic FAIL, US citizens. Epic.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by barbell
Terrorists, bviously.

Bingo.

People should be asking why scope and grope is even happening. Instead they want to know where to sign up, how to sign up, and what it entails. Epic FAIL, US citizens. Epic.
I would imagine that the majority of those who sign up don't care about being zapped with radiation or being seen naked. They just want to get on their flight and get to where they are going without the hassle of other passengers who are concerned about their rights under the Constitution.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.