Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

"Report: 1 in 4 airline caterers say food carts vulnerable"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...here/15286633/

This is something I've said before to pro-TSAers: even if the TSA checkpoint was 100% airtight, there are way too many avenues to get something airside. My favorite part of the article:
The report recommends:

• A TSA presence in any kitchen where meals are prepared or plated.
Insert joke here.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
And this has been going on for how long?

But hey, anything for s'kewrity and keeping those dangerous toothpastes, hair gels and soda's out of the insecure area
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:21 pm

If the TSA ever finds out that highly flammable liquids are poured into the planes fuel tanks they will freak out
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:54 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
To be fair, this is all union produced nonsense. TSA has plenty of its own nonsense, mind you, but the recommendations are all from the union to the TSA, and the union created the report and gave it to the TSA.

In other news, I commissioned a study, and found out that my driveway and parking areas are unsafe, and non-vetted people have access ot them at anytime. I gave this report to the TSA and suggested an agent be stationed in every parking area and driveway.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
I agree there are plenty of alternate avenues beyond the checkpoints that can be used to smuggle things on board a plane and there is a need for focus in those areas.

This so-called report(really more of a survey) however has other underlying motivations.

Of the 3 recommendations in the report, two benefit the union directly. Requiring certified sub-contractors and stop using temporary labor both benefit the union with marginal security benefit.

A better method would be to screen and inspect the food carts prior to leaving the facility or entering the airport.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by ronin308
I agree there are plenty of alternate avenues beyond the checkpoints that can be used to smuggle things on board a plane and there is a need for focus in those areas.

This so-called report(really more of a survey) however has other underlying motivations.

Of the 3 recommendations in the report, two benefit the union directly. Requiring certified sub-contractors and stop using temporary labor both benefit the union with marginal security benefit.

A better method would be to screen and inspect the food carts prior to leaving the facility or entering the airport.
I agree, this report is nothing more than politically (read: Monetarily) motivated panic-mongering, designed solely to scare the pols and the public into eliminating non-dues-paying labor in the airline food prep industry. I'll bet that management would have a few things to say about this report.

This report is part of a flurry of "we're vulnerable!" and "threats are near!" and "the sky is falling!" reports surrounding the 9/11 anniversary. Gotta keep those peasants cowering in fear so they won't wake up and realize they're being duped and fleeced.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Airbridge
If the TSA ever finds out that highly flammable liquids are poured into the planes fuel tanks they will freak out
But they will make sure said liquids are in small containers and randomly swab them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.