Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated thoughts on the "Trusted" traveler program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated thoughts on the "Trusted" traveler program

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Same here. I declare my Tim Horton's doughnut and coffee when drive over the border out of Canada.
My motto in these matters is: 'assume nothing'.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:29 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by entropy
They need to continue to 'sift' out the low risk travelers. PEople (including me) will gladly pay reasonable fees to avoid the PITA of standing in lines... or taking off shoes, etc. For the government, why should they waste their time with a low-risk traveler?
What is the connection between paying a fee and being a low-risk traveler?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
What is the connection between paying a fee and being a low-risk traveler?
Paying a fee to the government for a privilege is communist.

Paying a fee to anyone for any privilege is extortion.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3M), UA1K, and so many others
pre-screen programs are risky

Delete

Last edited by jtjackson; Mar 29, 2016 at 6:31 pm Reason: Delete
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by jtjackson
If you were looking to get smuggle something on to a plane and you knew you needed to qualify as a FF to get reduced screening, you would spend time and money flying around the country until you had enough status to qualify. Then you smuggle your surprise on board.
But you don't even need to fly around enough to get status to qualify. You can simply pay the fee and sign up.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
If you were looking to get smuggle something on to a plane and you knew you needed to qualify as a FF to get reduced screening, you would spend time and money flying around the country until you had enough status to qualify. Then you smuggle your surprise on board.
Oh, please. You'd just bribe/extort/impersonate a TSA employee. They aren't subjected to the same harassment passengers are. They are the biggest security threat at USA airports.

As has been said repeatedly, we could save billions and speed travel if TSA would focus on the real threats and stop the silly play acting.
We could save billions and speed travel if TSA were removed from USA airports and security was returned to the airlines with zero government interference. Air travel would instantly become safer too.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:51 am

My question is whether or not the opt-out is possible in the expedited line. I agree that shoes on / laptop in the bag isn't much of an improvement at all. I use slip on shoes and have a top loading laptop case. The biggest delay is removing all metallic items.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by morrison723
My question is whether or not the opt-out is possible in the expedited line. I agree that shoes on / laptop in the bag isn't much of an improvement at all. I use slip on shoes and have a top loading laptop case. The biggest delay is removing all metallic items.
It's only significant metal objects when using full PreCheck, not all metallic objects. Things like pens, many watches, wallets, a couple coins, many belt buckles, etc can stay on. Things like cell phones, sets of keys, and large belt buckles need to come off/out. Also light jackets can stay on.

Being that it's generally only a few things at most, I usually just throw them in my bag before I even get to the ID check, and then when I get to the X-ray I just throw my bag(s) on the belt (as I don't have to remove anything, it's not just laptops and shoes that you don't need to remove, you don't need to remove anything) and walk through the metal detector.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
If by expedited line, you mean the Pre-Check line, it isn't clear what you mean by opt out. Opting out usually refers to the Whole Body Image (WBI) machines. But, WBIs are not used in the Pre-Check lines.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:55 am

I know this was posted a while ago, but it is possible to opt out.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by mojoe24
I know this was posted a while ago, but it is possible to opt out.
For clarification: There is nothing to opt out OF in the Pre-Check line. Pre-Check, by default, uses a walk-through metal detector (WTMD) as its primary screening methodology, rather than the Millimeter Wave (MMW) Whole Body Imaging (WBI) scanners.

It is the WBI scanners, often referred to as Nude-O-Scope or NoS here on FlyerTalk, which people opt out of, and they are not used in Pre-Check lines, only in standard screening lines.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:38 am

While I don't know much about this "trusted" program, I would never pay for "pre-screen." From my experience via general observations, the pre-screen line does sometimes offer a huge advantage in terms of getting people through check-in in a timely manner. However, I've also seen far too often that TSA lets anyone into the pre-screen line, particularly when the regular line is especially long, which sort of defeats the purpose. I'm not paying the government money for expedited service when there's no guarantee that I'll actually get what I'm paying for.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
For clarification: There is nothing to opt out OF in the Pre-Check line. Pre-Check, by default, uses a walk-through metal detector (WTMD) as its primary screening methodology, rather than the Millimeter Wave (MMW) Whole Body Imaging (WBI) scanners.

It is the WBI scanners, often referred to as Nude-O-Scope or NoS here on FlyerTalk, which people opt out of, and they are not used in Pre-Check lines, only in standard screening lines.
IIRC, there was never a guarantee that Pre pax would always get to use the WTMD.

Nappy originally said the NoS would only be for secondaries - we saw how that worked out. Very recently, Ross has posted that NoS will be 'available' to Pre users - supposedly because those with joint implants prefer it.

How long before Pre pax are regularly 'randomly' funneled to the NoS?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by studentflyer3412
While I don't know much about this "trusted" program, I would never pay for "pre-screen." From my experience via general observations, the pre-screen line does sometimes offer a huge advantage in terms of getting people through check-in in a timely manner. However, I've also seen far too often that TSA lets anyone into the pre-screen line, particularly when the regular line is especially long, which sort of defeats the purpose. I'm not paying the government money for expedited service when there's no guarantee that I'll actually get what I'm paying for.
Supposedly the TSA is substantially reducing (eliminating?) random Precheck unless you've opted in or signed up for the one of the trusted traveler programs.

Originally Posted by chollie
IIRC, there was never a guarantee that Pre pax would always get to use the WTMD.

Nappy originally said the NoS would only be for secondaries - we saw how that worked out. Very recently, Ross has posted that NoS will be 'available' to Pre users - supposedly because those with joint implants prefer it.

How long before Pre pax are regularly 'randomly' funneled to the NoS?
It's already been happening at some airports. There was a report by fellow member CDKing that it happened to him at JFK.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Supposedly the TSA is substantially reducing (eliminating?) random Precheck unless you've opted in or signed up for the one of the trusted traveler programs.

It's already been happening at some airports. There was a report by fellow member CDKing that it happened to him at JFK.
Physically impaired Pre-eligible pax will still be getting a stranger's hands stuck down their pants and between their legs.

I wonder if the 'involuntary medical opt-outs' for Pre pax will still include the mandatory bag search-and-swab. 'Pre' means "we might think about trusting you a little bit, just this once' and "involuntary medical opt-out because I'm physically unable to assume and hold the position" cancels out the trust and you're just another pax who is guilty because you dared to show up at the checkpoint with physical limitations and hoping to fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.