Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
A Boston Globe blog picked up the story and provided a couple updates:

...United spokesman Charles Hobart emailed the Globe this statement: “The service Mr. Gilbert described does not reflect the experience we aim to deliver our customers. We are reaching out to Mr. Gilbert and to Shuttle America, the United Express carrier that operated the flight, to better understand what occurred and to ensure Mr. Gilbert knows we value his business.”

In an interview this evening, Gilbert said he has been contacted by United and is arranging a time to discuss the incident.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
There's another explanation ... but it forces me to bring up an aspect of this story that hasn't been mentioned to date (much to my relief).

The victim is African-American.

For better or for worse, people of color in this country have been unjustly treated by those in authority for a long time. Many have decided, when confronted with such behavior, to simply submit to the injustice, and deal with the ramifications later. (When you're pulled over for Driving While Black by a Good Ole Boy, arguing with the guy with the firearm, the billy club, and the handcuffs about the scope of the Fourteenth Amendment is not likely to lead to enlightenment.)

That's what I read into his story. Throwing a fit on the aircraft would've likely resulted in his being denied the ability to fly at all that day. He made the choice to fight on a battleground of his own choosing, not the airline's --- and a battleground where he'd have a much better opportunity to prevail.

It is tragic that such choices are forced upon people. I don't know if I would make that choice. But having lived a life of relative privilege, I have no right to judge a man when I have never walked in his shoes.

I have to agree, if he had thrown a fit, they would have been terrible to him. Much worse then a white man, but much less then an Aribic looking man. It is the country we live in, unfourtenetly
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Originally Posted by Allan38103
The crew asked the guy about what he was reading.
The guy answered.
The plane took off.

The end.
You SIR are WRONG!

The F/A's were out of line and TOO STUPID to be called F/A's.

If this is the sad state this so called "free" country we live in then heaven help us.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:53 pm

My opinion of this whole incident: disgusted. Once again, the need for a puking smiley is self-evident.

My vote for a "did they learn their lesson" book: The Bomb

A copy translated into Arabic would be fun. @:-)
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:03 pm

I am not sure where all of this discussion about race is coming from. The only claim of race being a issue is from the passenger because he is black. Someone please point out where race was involved in the decision of the FA to send an alarming message to the Captain, who then made the decision to abort the flight. We have no idea what was in the message conveyed to the Captain. I read that the FA(race unknown) was overly concerned that the passenger wanted to keep his hand carried nearby and was reading an aircraft magazine that could have been purchased in the bookstore after security. This is what the police inquired about and there were ok with the answers.
Until I read what the FA conveyed to the Captain, and I believe the reasons for the abort would be on FAA control tower tapes, I am not buying the race card allegations.
I mentioned this incident to an SW First Captain neighbor and he said if he had been called out to talk to the passenger he would have asked to read the magazine after the pax was done with it!!

I wonder what would have happened if a white,elderly, retired LEO was reading a copy of Combat Handguns,Tactical Weapons, or Guns & Ammo.

Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OnTheAsile
Until I read what the FA conveyed to the Captain, and I believe the reasons for the abort would be on FAA control tower tapes, I am not buying the race card allegations.
You're misreading my intention ... which is why I hesitated to bring up the issue.

I have no opinion on whether or not race was a factor in the accusation made against the passenger; there's no evidence in play to support that conclusion.

My comment was about the speculation over why the passenger seemingly reacted meekly to these events. To that question, I offered the following answer: some members of racial minorities have chosen to always respond to authorities in a compliant manner, whether or not the authorities have reasonable cause for their accusations, because of bad experiences with racist authorities.

For the armchair quarterbacks here who might like to give advice to this passenger about how he ought to have handled the situation, I simply say ... things are never as simple as they seem when you've had a different set of life experiences.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:14 pm

You're misreading my intention ...
I don't believe that I mentioned or quoted you.

For the armchair quarterbacks here who might like to give advice to this passenger about how he ought to have handled the situation, I simply say ... things are never as simple as they seem when you've had a different set of life experiences.
I agree.
In addition, do we really know the complete story? Not so far.........

Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

I don't believe that I mentioned or quoted you.
Well, I was the one who brought it up in the first place. Plus, I'm naturally paranoid ...

In addition, do we really know the complete story? Not so far.........
As always. Though at least the initial statement from United isn't a knee-jerk defense of its own employees ...
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:18 pm

Well, I was the one who brought it up in the first place.
Actually I think Mr. Gilbert started the ball rolling with allegations in his personal website.

Plus, I'm naturally paranoid ...
Just listen to more of Buffalo Springfield and you will be cured..
Repeating myself:
"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away"

Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I am not sure where all of this discussion about race is coming from. The only claim of race being a issue is from the passenger because he is black. Someone please point out where race was involved in the decision of the FA to send an alarming message to the Captain, who then made the decision to abort the flight. We have no idea what was in the message conveyed to the Captain. I read that the FA(race unknown) was overly concerned that the passenger wanted to keep his hand carried nearby and was reading an aircraft magazine that could have been purchased in the bookstore after security. This is what the police inquired about and there were ok with the answers.
I mentioned this incident to an SW First Captain neighbor and he said if he had been called out to talk to the passenger he would have asked to read the magazine after the pax was done with it!!

I wonder what would have happened if a white,elderly, retired LEO was reading a copy of Combat Handguns,Tactical Weapons, or Guns & Ammo.

There has been no discussion, let alone "all" of it. Mr. Gilbert stated his race and only he knows whether that was simply a statement of fact or a subtle allegation of racial discrimination.

Of course we don't know any details of the conversation(s), only Gilbert's assertion they were not 'belligerent' in nature. Race may or may not have been a factor, as could other things not reported. I'm glad UA is taking this seriously one way or the other.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
I'm a subscriber to the Smithsonian Institution's Air & Space magazine, and regularly read my latest copy while flying.

When I've finished it, I often offer it to the flight crew as I exit the aircraft and fairly regularly one of them accepts it with thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by saulblum
So what kind of book would have caused a problem then?
I think this book would freak out the nervous Nellies on your next flight. (It is actually an excellent book for those interested in the hardware they are sitting in. ^)

Of course, to freak out both your fellow passengers and the TSA checkpoint clerks looking for The Big Catch™, there is no finer book than this one to Really set them off. (also an excellent book.)
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by greggwiggins
I'm a subscriber to the Smithsonian Institution's Air & Space magazine, and regularly read my latest copy while flying.

When I've finished it, I often offer it to the flight crew as I exit the aircraft and fairly regularly one of them accepts it with thanks.
Me too. I save them for the flights I take. Very relaxing. I've noticed at hotels and such that FA's are some of the most paranoid people on the planet.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
I think this book would freak out the nervous Nellies on your next flight. (It is actually an excellent book for those interested in the hardware they are sitting in. ^)

Of course, to freak out both your fellow passengers and the TSA checkpoint clerks looking for The Big Catch™, there is no finer book than this one to Really set them off. (also an excellent book.)
I'd recommend either in a foreign language - particularly Arabic.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:09 am

Interesting incident. As a pilot I frequently take multiple copies of AOPA's flight training magazine to read on flights as I very often never get around to reading them and a long flight is a good place to catch up. Never had any issues so far. On one occasion I was singled out by the TSA for extra screening while checking in. The TSA guy found the magazines but it did not result in anything other than having a conversation about flying (apparently he has a friend who is a pilot and files out of the same airfield that I do).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.