Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by spd476
Can you imagine being a passenger on that flight and missing a connecting flight because of this nonsense? I would be furious. Why does it matter what he is reading? I could care less if he was reading the manual for the plane we were on. I don't see how he would be a threat. This is just ridiculous.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...000Z/KBOS/KIAD

The flight arrived nearly an hour late because of this nonsense.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:09 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Allan38103
The crew asked the guy about what he was reading.
The guy answered.
The plane took off.

The end.
This is a falsehood per the info available.
-The crew never asked the man what he was reading.
--The crew called LEOs, deplaned him, and had LEOs ask
- Gentleman in question answered at once, calmly, and with no malice.
- After being cleared from crew's overeaction, the plane took off over an hour late.
-Many people were Inconvenienced

The end
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:12 am

The guy answered.
The plane took off.

The end.
So if the cops then demanded that his checked and carry-on bags be taken off and searched to see what other reading material the passenger had, and the flight ended up taking off three hours late, you'd be okay, because after all, the plane took off?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by spd476
Can you imagine being a passenger on that flight and missing a connecting flight because of this nonsense? I would be furious. Why does it matter what he is reading? I could care less if he was reading the manual for the plane we were on. I don't see how he would be a threat. This is just ridiculous.
I would be furious as well--not at Mr. Gilbert--but at the airline/crew. Had I been there, I certainly would have been taking notes and surreptitiously taking photos of the flight attendants to catalog the possible culprit(s), and registered my own complaints with the airline and publicly, far and wide.

It is absolute nonsense. UA needs to do some crew disciplining and possibly some firings.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: *wood Gold
This whole article has prompted me to think about having some fun today. Perhaps tonight I'll drive down to IAD, park, go in, and start taking pictures of the UA ticketing area just to see their reactions (and as a form of protest).

It should be fun.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
UA flight attendants are bunch of paranoid nutbags - my hope from the merger is new management will jettison most of them in favor of the CO staff and CO new hires.

That being said, I was aware of their paranoia and a couple months back I specifically took a complimentary copy of Flying magazine from the AC MLL at YYZ to read on my UA flight - making sure the cover and lots of pictures were visible to the FAs and flight deck crew as I read the magazine before departure.

I'm a pilot and read that magazine frequently, but I would have dared them to say something, as the Peel Police who work at YYZ would have likely arrested the crew for creating a disturbance had they called the police on me for my choice of reading material.

I will continue to drag around my copy of Flying on various UA flights in attempt to bait these loonies into saying something so I can humiliate them.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting -- I looked on the UA website and on the Dulles airport flight info websites and couldn't find his flight number. I suppose they could have changed the schedule between August 11 & now. I did find UA 3429. Given the four-digit number, I suspected it was a cropduster and, likely, a commuter airline. I was right, if this other flight # is correct. The flight was actually Trans States Airlines. That doesn't relieve UA of any responsibility and future liability, but, it does perhaps explain why the crew was so weird about this. Not being UA, they can't really claim 9/11 paranoia as a reason.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:45 pm

What did they think was going on? That he was boning up on Terrorism 101 with "Blowing up Planes for Dummies?" I can't imagine the conversation that the crew would have had to have with one in other to arrive at the conclusion that they needed to get the LEOs involved.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hey everyone next time you see Janet Napolitano give her a big ol "Thanks!".

This is what happens when you have a "see something, say something" campaign of paranoid Americans spying on each other.

What a great place our nation has become. Land of the free and home of the brave. Sure.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:41 pm

I once noticed a FA and a seatmate looking at me strangely because I was reading "The God Delusion". Luckily it did not warrant questioning, but maybe we do have to watch what we read, or maybe just switch to e-readers so no one else knows...
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
The crossword I was doing on a plane the other day contained the answer: World Trade Center. Arrest me.
Query whether the TSA will start reviewing the crossword puzzles found in the complimentary in-flight magazines for hidden and cryptic messages.

Of course, they'll need to hire someone who can actually complete a crossword puzzle, but....
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
I once noticed a FA and a seatmate looking at me strangely because I was reading "The God Delusion". Luckily it did not warrant questioning, but maybe we do have to watch what we read, or maybe just switch to e-readers so no one else knows...
No. We do not have to watch what we read. And I will not.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:28 pm

The guy answered.
The plane took off.

The end.
The crew over-reacted to a harmless book.
The guy humored the idiots
The plane took off late

everyone was needlessly hassled for no valid reason.

The terrorist score another victory.
Not the end
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
The guy answered.
The plane took off.

The end.
Your summary is woefully inaccurate. The crew did not ask him what he was reading. The police did. After the plane was returned to the gate. Big difference. And this distinction was clear in the victim's blog.

Perhaps if the flight crew was so worried, they could have asked him what he was reading and then the guy could have answered and the plane took off. On time. With no inconvenience to anyone!

I hope that is not the end. It was ridiculous and the flight crew and/or the person who decided he needed to be questioned by the police needs to be held accountable for their actions. Out of an abundance of caution, my arse!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
or maybe just switch to e-readers so no one else knows...
Not an option during takeoff and landing, when all electronic devices must be turned off and stowed ... which is, of course, exactly when this incident occurred ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.