Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:31 am

On a previous flight, I was reading a physics textbook.

It included a chapter on atomic nuclei, and another that discussed how airplanes flew!

Given this flight crews reaction to a mere WW1 book, I should never be allowed to fly again!

I suppose it was a good thing that I didn't brng my copy of the Qur'an.

TSA did inspect my Bible.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:30 am

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
I believe that a friend was reading "Elements of Propulsion: Gas Turbines and Rockets" by Jack Mattingly. He wasn't questioned, oh, and he's Indian, so he'd be the perfect subject for profiling.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Harier

TSA did inspect my Bible.
Ah, man, that's where I hide my rock hammer.

Mike
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef
Ah, man, that's where I hide my rock hammer.

Mike
How much did Red get for it?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
How much did Red get for it?
$10. It's $7 in any rock or gem shop, but there's added risk, so the price went up.

Mike
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, National Executive, Delta Silver, United Silver
I'm glad they didn't see my books when I had "The Twelfth Imam" and "The Last Jihad" in my carry-on bag!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA scumbag. Global Entry. Piggly Wiggly loyalty card.
This is my first post, so please go easy on me. I have been reading FT for ages, but never got the guts to post.

I was once sat at the gate at LHR for a CX flight to HKG, when I was (very politely) asked by security not to read a book called "The Naked Pilot" which is all about the human factor in aviation accidents. I complied with his request, and put it away.

Frequently, if I have a connection exceeding two hours, I will sit watching the runway with my scanner and an airport diagram. A lot of the time, LE or Security come and politely ask me what I am doing. I particularly remember an HPD officer at IAH ask me where I got the airport diagram. When I told him I downloaded it from faa.gov he said "Don't these people know we're at war with terrorists?!" Then he spent half an hour having me answer questions like "What's the difference between a 767 and a 777?" and "What does the DC in DC-10 stand for?"

But he did give me one little thing that I still quote to people to this day - "Too much security is better than not enough."
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by N779UA
This is my first post, so please go easy on me. I have been reading FT for ages, but never got the guts to post.

I was once sat at the gate at LHR for a CX flight to HKG, when I was (very politely) asked by security not to read a book called "The Naked Pilot" which is all about the human factor in aviation accidents. I complied with his request, and put it away.

Frequently, if I have a connection exceeding two hours, I will sit watching the runway with my scanner and an airport diagram. A lot of the time, LE or Security come and politely ask me what I am doing. I particularly remember an HPD officer at IAH ask me where I got the airport diagram. When I told him I downloaded it from faa.gov he said "Don't these people know we're at war with terrorists?!" Then he spent half an hour having me answer questions like "What's the difference between a 767 and a 777?" and "What does the DC in DC-10 stand for?"

But he did give me one little thing that I still quote to people to this day - "Too much security is better than not enough."
Great first post - welcome to Flyertalk
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott PP/LPE, Hilton Diamond
Geez, with all the aviation paraphernalia I have on my briefcase (actually a Brightline flight bag), the AOPA cap or lapel pin I usually sport, and my headphone bag that's embroidered with "Flight Crew" (a gift from a client: Embry-Riddle), I'm surprised I'm not serving multiple life sentences by now. Oh wait, I am, it's just called being a Frequent Flyer...
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thought of this thread on a trip I took last week. I was flying Christmas night and got Air Disaster: Volume 2 as a gift and I was anxious to read it.

Thankfully, if anyone noticed they didn't complain.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
Thought of this thread on a trip I took last week. I was flying Christmas night and got Air Disaster: Volume 2 as a gift and I was anxious to read it.

Thankfully, if anyone noticed they didn't complain.
This is just silly to read on a plane. What a "look at me" thing to do.
Nothing to do with TSA.
Some people are anxious about flying.
Kids get scared. Etc etc

I'm a doctor and wouldn't read a gory pathology picture atlas in public.
I wouldn't read a hustler magazine in a church.
I wouldn't read a beer connoisseur magazine in an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.
Obnoxious.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by growlers
Nothing to do with TSA.
Kids get scared. Etc etc

I'm a doctor and wouldn't read a gory pathology picture atlas in public.
I wouldn't read a hustler magazine in a church.
I wouldn't read a beer connoisseur magazine in an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.
Obnoxious.
And, let's not talk about doctors offices with their copies of WedMD, Pathology Today, Cancer: A Survivor's Guide, Is It Flu or Is it a Cold? and Gideon's Bibles like I may suddenly be in need of its contents more than ever lying around the waiting area.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by growlers
Nothing to do with TSA.
Kids get scared. Etc etc
Your comment is just bizarre. I flew back to Europe last week and noticed someone a few rows up watching a film -- on the seat-back monitor -- of planes being blown out of the sky. This was a film that was part of Delta's complimentary selection.

I didn't see anyone getting upset or kids getting scared, and a film with those graphic scenes is much more obvious than someone paging through a book or magazine held low in their own space.

Just mind your own goddamn business.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:52 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
Just mind your own goddamn business.
ding ding, we have winner!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
I flew back to Europe last week and noticed someone a few rows up watching a film -- on the seat-back monitor -- of planes being blown out of the sky. This was a film that was part of Delta's complimentary selection.
Sounds like almost as much fun when I watched Argo on a DL flight - the airport scene at the end in particular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.