Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Great New York Times Blog Article on Security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Here is the link to a great New York Times blog article on airport security.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...-the-birds/?hp
Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:18 pm

Me thinks Dick could have written something with a serious point or at least hit the sarcasm a little harder. This piece is a bit fluffy and mostly flatterign for DTW. There were some decent points; bolding mine.

How many guns have they got by patting down people's resistance? I'd say zero. How many would they catch with the WTMD? All of them. More proof that this is a stupid and unnecessarily invasive procedure.

I raise my hand an you get cuffed? PAHLEEEEEASE.

(A chilling note: another affable patter in another major city, when I asked him if anyone was still dumb enough to try to get bad stuff through security, said, “Mr. Cavett, you’d be amazed at how many guns we get this way.” I gulped and asked what would be happening to me now if I had one. “See that guy at the coffee counter? He’s a cop. I raise my hand and next thing you know you’re wearing his ‘bracelets.’ You go away for a good long time.” “Thanks,” I said, too stunned to ask who those reckless heat-toters were. From his manner it was clear they weren’t merely licensed gun-carriers who wear them all the time and just forgot.) ]
Confiscating an unlabeled (but perfectly legal bottle) is more evidence that little Johnny Playcop needs an attitude adjustment.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Already being discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...s-himself.html

Bruce
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ScatterX
Confiscating an unlabeled (but perfectly legal bottle) is more evidence that little Johnny Playcop needs an attitude adjustment.
It's sad as hell, but you have to play their game. I found some cool artwork on the web, sized it, and added some print. I just used clear packing tape to fix them on the bottles. Haven't had a problem.

In fact, I have sheets of them printed at home for when the labels get ratty. Easily replaced.

They want lables? Give them lables. Nothing says where they have to come from.

Last edited by Houston.Business; Aug 21, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.