Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Documentary - Photography in Public Spaces

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, BA, AA

This is a 16-minute short documentary where people set up cameras in public spaces in London and the reaction of private security guards and police.

The behavior of the police is a startling contrast to what we see in American airports.

http://www.veryshortlist.com/vsl/dai...our-ground/?vp
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
The manager who invited the photographers onto the estate has the right idea. If someone is just trying to cause a hassle, then giving them more than they desire will usually run them off. If they were legitimately interested, they might actually get some cool photos of your property.

When I was scouting locations for a commercial, I happened upon a steel mill. I liked the look of the buildings. A guard came over in one of those little carts and asked if I'd like to get some shots inside. I popped on a hard hat, he introduced me to a safety guy, and I managed to get some shots like this:

Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by marklyon
The manager who invited the photographers onto the estate has the right idea. If someone is just trying to cause a hassle, then giving them more than they desire will usually run them off. If they were legitimately interested, they might actually get some cool photos of your property.

When I was scouting locations for a commercial, I happened upon a steel mill. I liked the look of the buildings. A guard came over in one of those little carts and asked if I'd like to get some shots inside. I popped on a hard hat, he introduced me to a safety guy, and I managed to get some shots like this:

The next time, be sure to tell them you want to see a magnesium charge for a run of nodular iron.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I enjoyed that film.

I suspect that the reaction in American cities would be similar, with one glaring exception - most police don't recognize or acknowledge the right to take private, non-commercial photos or video in all public spaces. There have been numerous incidents over the last few years of photographers being questioned and ordered to cease photography by uniformed police in various American jurisdictions; most of them that I have seen resemble the encounter with the private security in the documentaries, wherein the police themselves throw out various catch phrases like "security reasons", "terrorism", and even "the Patriot Act".
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:24 pm

In 1980 after I started up my commercial photo business in Houston I was trying to build my portfolio and was out near Pasadena, TX taking pictures of refineries just after sunset when the lighting is the best. I remember a car load full of security guys coming up to me and demanding to know what I was doing. I explained and passed out some business cards. They huddled and came back and warned me that even though I was on a public road outside of their fence line they had the right to protect their property and that what went on behind the fence was private, they even suggested that because a large doorway was open I could see inside. I suggested they close the door if they had security sensitive stuff inside. They huddled some more, spoke over some big old style Motorola walkie talkies and finally just left.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:19 pm

I'm proud of our police.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.