Go Back   > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 11, 11, 10:46 am   #1
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL Lost Luggage
Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Posts: 3,427
Angry Arrested TSO Toussain Puddie could receive "guaranteed dismissal" of theft charges

The Broward and Palm Beach New Times has posted an interesting update on Toussain Puddie, a former TSO who was the subject of the FT TS&S thread "Oops, not another thief in TSA employ"

Here's the update by Stefan Kamph, which was posted on Tue., Aug. 9 2011 at 3:44 PM: State Going "Full Blast" With Theft Charges Against Former TSA Screener, Says Lawyer

The title is misleading since the update actually describes the possibility of Puddie receiving a guaranteed dismissal of the theft charges filed against him, as described in the last two sentences of the update:
[Toussain Puddie's attorney] says that his client's family is "scared" of [Puddie becoming a convicted felon], and is pushing for the pretrial intervention with a guaranteed dismissal. Meanwhile, Puddie's friends have organized an online petition for the charges to be dropped.


Anyone care to organize a petition drive to help ensure prosecution?
RatherBeOnATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 11:22 am   #2
  
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 513
It's a sad state of affairs when the federal government takes people who either don't realize, after nearly two weeks, that the very expensive pen they unintentionally took home from work is not their pen, or who realize it isn't their pen but don't think that they should try and return it to the owner or a lost and found. That speaks volumes about the quality of the TSA workforce.

On the other hand, the story may be that he is a common thief. That speaks volumes about the TSA workforce as well.

Either way, the most dangerous part travelling on a commercial airline is transiting the TSA checkpoint. That' when the risk of arrest is highest, the risk of fines is highest, the risk of unwanted touching is highest, the risk of verbal abuse is highest, and the risk of theft is highest. Additionally, there's health risks to consider.

This continuing story is just a reminder that the TSA poses the greatest risk to the airline passenger.
OldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 11:24 am   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 11,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
It's a sad state of affairs when the federal government takes people who either don't realize, after nearly two weeks, that the very expensive pen they unintentionally took home from work is not their pen, or who realize it isn't their pen but don't think that they should try and return it to the owner or a lost and found. That speaks volumes about the quality of the TSA workforce.

On the other hand, the story may be that he is a common thief. That speaks volumes about the TSA workforce as well.

Either way, the most dangerous part travelling on a commercial airline is transiting the TSA checkpoint. That' when the risk of arrest is highest, the risk of fines is highest, the risk of unwanted touching is highest, the risk of verbal abuse is highest, and the risk of theft is highest. Additionally, there's health risks to consider.

This continuing story is just a reminder that the TSA poses the greatest risk to the airline passenger.
TSA is a real and significant danger to travelers.
Boggie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 11:35 am   #4
RVP
  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
Either way, the most dangerous part travelling on a commercial airline is transiting the TSA checkpoint. That' when the risk of arrest is highest, the risk of fines is highest, the risk of unwanted touching is highest, the risk of verbal abuse is highest, and the risk of theft is highest. Additionally, there's health risks to consider.

This continuing story is just a reminder that the TSA poses the greatest risk to the airline passenger.


Thanks! That's it in a nutshell.

If you don't mind, I'm going to quote this in the new round of missives to my senators and congressmen.
RVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 11:47 am   #5
Moderator: Marriott Rewards forum & Travel with Children
  
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunrise, FL
Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Platinum Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 13,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
Either way, the most dangerous part travelling on a commercial airline is transiting the TSA checkpoint. That' when the risk of arrest is highest, the risk of fines is highest, the risk of unwanted touching is highest, the risk of verbal abuse is highest, and the risk of theft is highest. Additionally, there's health risks to consider.

This continuing story is just a reminder that the TSA poses the greatest risk to the airline passenger.
Beautiful. Worth quoting again and again.

Bruce
bdschobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 11:52 am   #6
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,719
I'm devoid of sympathy for this TSO. That said, if he didn't really know what the pen was worth and thought it was just a pen on top of a filing cabinet, a felony conviction does seem a little steep. I personally think a misdemeanor conviction would strike the right balance. Had he actually taken the pen at the checkpoint knowing it belonged to a passenger, then a felony would seem like the way to go. Frankly, I'm okay as long as it results in some conviction and record.
Ari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 11:53 am   #7
  
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Houston
Programs: CO Platinum
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
It's a sad state of affairs when the federal government takes people who either don't realize, after nearly two weeks, that the very expensive pen they unintentionally took home from work is not their pen, or who realize it isn't their pen but don't think that they should try and return it to the owner or a lost and found. That speaks volumes about the quality of the TSA workforce.

On the other hand, the story may be that he is a common thief. That speaks volumes about the TSA workforce as well.

Either way, the most dangerous part travelling on a commercial airline is transiting the TSA checkpoint. That' when the risk of arrest is highest, the risk of fines is highest, the risk of unwanted touching is highest, the risk of verbal abuse is highest, and the risk of theft is highest. Additionally, there's health risks to consider.

This continuing story is just a reminder that the TSA poses the greatest risk to the airline passenger.
Amen.
mulieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 11:59 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Posts: 13,163
From the article:

Quote:
Puddie says he didn't initially tell anyone he had the pen because "I didn't want to get in trouble."
That's where he made his mistake. I would absolutely believe that he didn't realize it was an extremely valuable pen when he took it. But when he realized that the pen was valuable, he should have just taken his chances and told them, hey, it was sitting on a counter and I needed a pen. I didn't know that it was valuable.

Mike
mikeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 12:14 pm   #9
  
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I'm devoid of sympathy for this TSO. That said, if he didn't really know what the pen was worth and thought it was just a pen on top of a filing cabinet, a felony conviction does seem a little steep. I personally think a misdemeanor conviction would strike the right balance. Had he actually taken the pen at the checkpoint knowing it belonged to a passenger, then a felony would seem like the way to go. Frankly, I'm okay as long as it results in some conviction and record.

Agree. Save the felony charges for the clerks touching sex organs repeatedly on pax all day.
nachtnebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 12:38 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 11,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I'm devoid of sympathy for this TSO. That said, if he didn't really know what the pen was worth and thought it was just a pen on top of a filing cabinet, a felony conviction does seem a little steep. I personally think a misdemeanor conviction would strike the right balance. Had he actually taken the pen at the checkpoint knowing it belonged to a passenger, then a felony would seem like the way to go. Frankly, I'm okay as long as it results in some conviction and record.
If this the guy has no priors (most likely) and it is only the $450 pen then I would bet the offense will be pleaded down to a misdemeanor with no jail time.
Boggie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 12:49 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 23,226
I'd like to know who took the pen from the checkpoint to the cabinet and did not log it as 'lost and found'.
chollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 12:49 pm   #12
  
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 646
deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 12 at 9:27 pm
littlesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 12:59 pm   #13
  
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain View Post
The Broward and Palm Beach New Times has posted an interesting update on Toussain Puddie, a former TSO who was the subject of the FT TS&S thread "Oops, not another thief in TSA employ"

Here's the update by Stefan Kamph, which was posted on Tue., Aug. 9 2011 at 3:44 PM: State Going "Full Blast" With Theft Charges Against Former TSA Screener, Says Lawyer

The title is misleading since the update actually describes the possibility of Puddie receiving a guaranteed dismissal of the theft charges filed against him, as described in the last two sentences of the update:
[Toussain Puddie's attorney] says that his client's family is "scared" of [Puddie becoming a convicted felon], and is pushing for the pretrial intervention with a guaranteed dismissal. Meanwhile, Puddie's friends have organized an online petition for the charges to be dropped.


Anyone care to organize a petition drive to help ensure prosecution?
My understanding from reading the article is that the victim has to consent to such pretrial intervention. I hope he does not. I certainly would not have.
PoliceStateSurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 1:06 pm   #14
  
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtnebel View Post

Agree. Save the felony charges for the clerks touching sex organs repeatedly on pax all day.
I am sure this clerk did it too. After all, it was part of his job.

Going to jail and getting strip searched as part of the intake process will serve him right. Then he'll know how we feel at airport checkpoints, courtesy of him and his cohorts.

Last edited by PoliceStateSurvivor; Aug 11, 11 at 1:12 pm
PoliceStateSurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 1:10 pm   #15
  
Join Date: Jul 2006
Programs: United
Posts: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I'm devoid of sympathy for this TSO. That said, if he didn't really know what the pen was worth and thought it was just a pen on top of a filing cabinet, a felony conviction does seem a little steep. I personally think a misdemeanor conviction would strike the right balance. Had he actually taken the pen at the checkpoint knowing it belonged to a passenger, then a felony would seem like the way to go. Frankly, I'm okay as long as it results in some conviction and record.
If I forget that I have a loaded gun in my backpack I get a felony conviction at the checkpoint. Doesn't matter if I forgot it was there. They are the ones with the zero tolerance rules, not my fault if they get caught up in them.
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top