FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA Area Director Concedes Scanner Images Extremely Graphic (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1246640-tsa-area-director-concedes-scanner-images-extremely-graphic.html)

Fisher1949 Aug 10, 2011 7:25 pm

TSA Area Director Concedes Scanner Images Extremely Graphic

Apparently the TSA story about the scanner images being a chalk outline were a little less than truthful. Who would have guessed.

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/...rce=commented-

Doesn't mention that the Rapi-Scan x-ray scanners won't get the privacy software anytime soon.

SFOSpiff Aug 10, 2011 7:29 pm

I love this bit of high-quality reporting:

"The machines at DIA do not give off radiation"

and nothing helps spread TSA misinformation like the media.

The MMW machines operate at 20-30 GHz on the electromagnetic spectrum, all of which is, by definition, radiation.

PhoenixRev Aug 10, 2011 7:35 pm

The Transportation Security Administration on Friday unveiled new security checkpoint machines at Denver International Airport that will obscure details of a passenger's body and instead show what looks like a chalk outline.

"They were graphic, no doubt about it," TSA area director Pat Ahlstrom said of the old scans.
Paging Blogger Bob.

Please pick up the "I'm humbly apologize for not being truthful when I said the images from the WBI were ready for the cover of Reader's Digest and to be handed out at your local preschool" phone.

saulblum Aug 10, 2011 7:36 pm

More "reporting" that may as well be a TSA press release.

"We haven't been attacked that way since Christmas Day," Ahlstrom said.
Well, Santa Claus also showed up that day and we have not been attacked that way since, so personally I attribute the lack of attacks to Santa Claus, not to AIT.

SFOSpiff Aug 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by saulblum (Post 16899556)
Well, Santa Claus also showed up that day and we have not been attacked that way since, so personally I attribute the lack of attacks to Santa Claus, not to AIT.

That's a much better response than my usual comeback to a logical fallacy:

Me: <looks at other person's clothes> Do you have the Ebola virus?
Person: Uh, no.
Me: And you're wearing blue jeans. What do you know, blue jeans prevent the Ebola virus!

Actually, here's a way to spin that Christmas Day remark. Under private security, we had 0 underwear bomb plots. Under TSA, we had 1; TSA failed to prevent it and had no hand in stopping it. In other words, we're worse under TSA than private security.

greentips Aug 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff (Post 16899652)
That's a much better response than my usual comeback to a logical fallacy:

Me: <looks at other person's clothes> Do you have the Ebola virus?
Person: Uh, no.
Me: And you're wearing blue jeans. What do you know, blue jeans prevent the Ebola virus!

Actually, here's a way to spin that Christmas Day remark. Under private security, we had 0 underwear bomb plots. Under TSA, we had 1; TSA failed to prevent it and had no hand in stopping it. In other words, we're worse under TSA than private security.

You totally miss the point.

Under the old (private) security system, the private system never stopped a single underwear bomb plot. On the other hand, the TSA has only failed to stop one underwear bomb plot. Likewise, the old security system failed to stop every shoe bomb attempted , unlike the TSA which caught every single shoe bomb plot except one.

Just gotta know how to look at things from the TSA perspective. :)

SFOSpiff Aug 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by greentips (Post 16899720)
Just gotta know how to look at things from the TSA perspective.

Dividing by zero? That explains a lot. :eek:

Boggie Dog Aug 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev (Post 16899550)
Paging Blogger Bob.

Please pick up the "I'm humbly apologize for not being truthful when I said the images from the WBI were ready for the cover of Reader's Digest and to be handed out at your local preschool" phone.

Would anyone like to point out the violations of TSA Core Values by the TSA Blog Team headed up by Bob Burns?

Core Values

To enhance mission performance and achieve our shared goals, we are committed to promoting a culture founded on these values:

Integrity: We are a people of integrity who respect and care for others and protect the information we handle.

We are a people who conduct ourselves in an honest, trustworthy and ethical manner at all times.

We are a people who gain strength from the diversity in our cultures.

HawaiiTrvlr Aug 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Just for clarity about the TSA catching anyone like the shoe bomber or the underwear bomber. Both of those men originated on flights outside the US so they were not screened by the TSA. That still leaves the TSA with 0 terrorist catches.

nachtnebel Aug 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Bart, SATTSO TSORon and others

They were graphic, no doubt about it," TSA area director Pat Ahlstrom said of the old scans. "Now, they don't have to be concerned that a private image will be viewed by a TSA officer."

A TSA worker used to sit alone in a room analyzing nude images with blurred faces of passengers and would then radio back to agents at the line to alert them to any contraband.

This was done to maintain the privacy of people going through the checkpoint.

The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com

So, Bart, SATTSO, TSORon, you have someone high up in your org conceding that these scans indeed were graphic, were a strip, were everything we feared they would be, what do you do have to say for yourselves? You denied this. Is there any reason we should not consider your words to be worth less than a sack of excrement?

And yet all this heated defense of them. One more knife in the back of the truth, in the back our our dignity, in the back of everyone TSA scr*wed at the airport.

How in the H*LL can we take TSA's word that these instruments are even safe!!! You sorry bunch of pathetic liars TSA....
we're suppose to forgive all that because you've finally done the right thing?

JumboD Aug 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Pesky Monkey Aug 10, 2011 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by nachtnebel (Post 16900239)
So, Bart, SATTSO, TSORon, you have someone high up in your org conceding that these scans indeed were graphic, were a strip, were everything we feared they would be, what do you do have to say for yourselves? You denied this. Is there any reason we should not consider your words to be worth less than the foulest sack of excrement?

And yet all this heated defense of them. One more knife in the back of the truth, in the back our our dignity, in the back of everyone you are scr*wing at the airport.

How in the H*LL can we take TSA's word that these instruments are even safe!!! You sorry bunch of pathetic liars TSA....

Don't worry. Soon a TSA spokesman/woman will simply announce that he "misspoke".

PhoenixRev Aug 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Here's the link and the exact quote from Blogger Bob:

These images are friendly enough to post in a preschool. Heck, it could even make the cover of Reader’s Digest and not offend anybody.
So, in Bob's world, "graphic" images are okay to post in preschools.

:confused:

Superguy Aug 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff (Post 16899747)
Dividing by zero? That explains a lot. :eek:

In theory, that should mean that the private screening was infinitely better than what we have under TSA.

Superguy Aug 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr (Post 16899944)
Just for clarity about the TSA catching anyone like the shoe bomber or the underwear bomber. Both of those men originated on flights outside the US so they were not screened by the TSA. That still leaves the TSA with 0 terrorist catches.

Screening was done to TSA standards. Otherwise, the planes aren't permitted to enter US airspace.