Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Area Director Concedes Scanner Images Extremely Graphic

TSA Area Director Concedes Scanner Images Extremely Graphic

Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Superguy
Screening was done to TSA standards. Otherwise, the planes aren't permitted to enter US airspace.
The standards at the time, perhaps.

At this time, I am not required to be screened according to TSA standards to fly back to the US. I do not have to pass through a NoS or have a full patdown. Nobody asks me my name or my destination. And unless I have shoes that are likely to have metal in them, I do not have to take them off.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Don't worry. Soon a TSA spokesman/woman will simply announce that he "misspoke".
now we now beyond a shadow of a doubt why Rolando Negrin got upset.

some things could no longer be denied.

"could be shown to little kids". Blogdad Bob should be arrested for conspiracy to corrupt minors.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone challenging TSA about WBI in court should call TSA area director Pat Ahlstrom as a witness. I would like to see how he would try to weasel out of his statement while under oath.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
now we now beyond a shadow of a doubt why Rolando Negrin got upset.

some things could no longer be denied.

"could be shown to little kids". Blogdad Bob should be arrested for conspiracy to corrupt minors.
First fired for gross violations of integrity.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Aug 11, 2011 at 7:44 am
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"They were graphic, no doubt about it," TSA area director Pat Ahlstrom said of the old scans. "Now, they don't have to be concerned that a private image will be viewed by a TSA officer."
That big jackwagon Ahlstrom is simply spinning the new software story to convince the public to use the machines.

Colorado Springs Airport will obtain the software in a few months...
Crap -- COS used to be a safe airport without any Cancer Machines. Are they now installed and operational? I haven't been there since last April.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: CO Platinum
Hmm. reminds me a joke:

Q: How can you tell when a TSO is lying?

A: His/her lips are moving.

DY...T???
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:05 am

It's truly disturbing to try to sort out the disparity between references to this images as both "preschool friendly" and "graphic."
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
It's truly disturbing to try to sort out the disparity between references to this images as both "preschool friendly" and "graphic."
I have no problem sorting it out, the person who called the Strip Search Machine images preschool friendly very likely lied.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I have no problem sorting it out, the person who called the Strip Search Machine images preschool friendly very likely lied.
That's among the disturbing possibilities.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
Paging Blogger Bob.

Please pick up the "I'm humbly apologize for not being truthful when I said the images from the WBI were ready for the cover of Reader's Digest and to be handed out at your local preschool" phone.
I seriously doubt that BB has ever done anything "humbly."

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
First fired for gross violations of integrity.
I hear "knowingly giving a false impression" is popular these days.

Mike
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
The standards at the time, perhaps.

At this time, I am not required to be screened according to TSA standards to fly back to the US. I do not have to pass through a NoS or have a full patdown. Nobody asks me my name or my destination. And unless I have shoes that are likely to have metal in them, I do not have to take them off.
As always, Some Airports Do, Some Airports Don't. Each one is different.

I don't have to go thru a lot of that BS at certain US airports, at others I do (aside from the mandatory shoe carnival). It doesn't necessarily mean that TSA standards aren't enforced. It's probably the "unpredictability" factor.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:13 pm

So they lied about the graphic nature of the images. How truthful are they being about the health risks regarding the AIT?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
The photo accompanying the linked article depicts the screen that the NoS operator supposedly sees, at least as of 2009.

Two thoughts:
1.) Isn't that prohibited? TSA says photographing everything is okay EXCEPT X-ray or NoS screens;
2.) Note that the brightness control on the screen is turned all the way down. I wonder what this obscures that would normally be visible.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
Allof this reminds me of the childhood story, "The Emperor's New Clothes", where the Emperor gets sold invisible clothes that aren't really there and everyone pretends they see them except a child who correctly points out that he is naked.

TSA is relying on an endless stream of lies to convince travelers that they don't really see or experience what their senses tell them they do. The deny, deny, deny strategy that has proven so reliable it keeps being employed. It worked for Clinton in the Lewinsky scandal and for countless other politicians and agencies in the past.

We all know what they saw based on the images from the same machines when used on baggage. The guns and other devices in the bags were revealed in photographic quality. It is simply a matter of time before these naked images make their way to the internet at which time TSA will claim that they "no longer do that", i.e. will be using privacy software, and act as though the past transgressions were no big deal.

There needs to be an investigation of TSA that results in the prosecution of Pistole, Napolitano and the high ranking managers within DHS and TSA. Hopefully the next Administration or Congress will bring this to fruition and put these creeps in jail where they belong.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Don't worry. Soon a TSA spokesman/woman will simply announce that he "misspoke".
I'd like to see a spokesperson declare an Area Director misspoke. That position is within spitting distance of the Asst Admin of Security Operations, so they better be real careful, saying something like that... unless they were told to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.