Go Back   > > >

Old Aug 10, 11, 11:54 am   #1
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Center for Public Integrity: TSA cannot guarantee accuracy of 900,000 security badges

The Center for Public Integrity, one of the country's country's oldest and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit investigative news organizations, has posted this Alexandra Dusnak article: iwatchnews.org: TSA cannot guarantee accuracy of 900,000 airport security badges

Ms. Dusnak opened her article with this line:
More than 10 percent of the TSA’s identification badges have errors that could compromise airport security, a new audit has found.
Her article also links to the Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General's report, TSA's Oversight of the Airport Badging
Process Needs Improvement
(redacted)
, dated July 07, 2011.

Page 6 of the DHS OIG report cracked me up, when I read this explanation:
At one airport, a record contained a questionable date of birth; however, the record belonged to an airport canine. According to airport officials, they had issued badges to working dogs in the past. Although we were informed that Exhibit 1. Canines such as this is no longer standard practice, this one were previously issued badges. this canine was still listed as an active badge holder at the time of our visit.
I have not finished reading the whole DHS OIG report, but it appears to be full of explanations about how the "sterile area" is anything but!
RatherBeOnATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 11, 2:38 pm   #2

Huge Hole In Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain View Post
The Center for Public Integrity, one of the country's country's oldest and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit investigative news organizations, has posted this Alexandra Dusnak article: iwatchnews.org: TSA cannot guarantee accuracy of 900,000 airport security badges

Ms. Dusnak opened her article with this line:
More than 10 percent of the TSA’s identification badges have errors that could compromise airport security, a new audit has found.
Her article also links to the Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General's report, TSA's Oversight of the Airport Badging
Process Needs Improvement
(redacted)
, dated July 07, 2011.

Page 6 of the DHS OIG report cracked me up, when I read this explanation:
At one airport, a record contained a questionable date of birth; however, the record belonged to an airport canine. According to airport officials, they had issued badges to working dogs in the past. Although we were informed that Exhibit 1. Canines such as this is no longer standard practice, this one were previously issued badges. this canine was still listed as an active badge holder at the time of our visit.
I have not finished reading the whole DHS OIG report, but it appears to be full of explanations about how the "sterile area" is anything but!
Very interesting article and DHS report -- shows there is a huge hole in security. The TSA screeners, baggage people, and everyone else who has access to the sterile area and planes should be checked and rechecked -- every single day, every single time they go in and out of the sterile area -- that is if they are truly sincere about making sure we are safe. The key words here are "truly sincere."
Slide101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 11, 2:43 pm   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide101 View Post
Very interesting article and DHS report -- shows there is a huge hole in security. The TSA screeners, baggage people, and everyone else who has access to the sterile area and planes should be checked and rechecked -- every single day, every single time they go in and out of the sterile area -- that is if they are truly sincere about making sure we are safe. The key words here are "truly sincere."
It is abundantly clear that the TSA is "not" about security. It is purely based on money, expansion/growth and theater for the uninformed and anything for security type(largely uninformed anyways).
jtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 11, 9:54 pm   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd View Post
It is abundantly clear that the TSA is "not" about security. It is purely based on money, expansion/growth and theater for the uninformed and anything for security type(largely uninformed anyways).
It's called "being on the dole".
Pesky Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 11, 10:30 pm   #5

The 'hole in security' is not with the travelling public. It's with DHS and TSA. Shut down the TSA and hire professional security services (who will use common sense and respect our rights) and I will feel much 'safer'.
bluenotesro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 11:15 am   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, G.E./NEXUS, Amex, UA 1K/RCC, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Again, why am I not surprised?
FriendlySkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 11, 10:40 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Love how I'm reading about the issue with passes right after looking at the thread saying the Pilots are being let through with only an id check ... Just ridiculous and sad!
GoingAway is offline   Reply With Quote