Search

Another Awesome Job, Blogdad Bob!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Another Awesome Job, Blogdad Bob!

Checkout the video-clip attached to Blogdad Bob's 8/5/2011 Entry, Weird Science: Traveling With Homemade Gadgets .

Pay attention to "Dave from TSA’s Explosives Operation Division" as he explains that there are *four* items common to IEDs: (1) Power Source, such as a batter; (2) Initiator; and (3) Explosive Material.

The video has been linked to in the FT thread Omaha airport terminal evacuated , but I figure that the "accounting discrepancy" warrants its own thread...
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:04 am

Out of an Abundance of Ignorance (er, Caution) as usual....
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Pay attention to "Dave from TSA’s Explosives Operation Division" as he explains that there are *four* items common to IEDs: (1) Power Source, such as a batter; (2) Initiator; and (3) Explosive Material.
What a maroon! Obviously, that's 3.4 items.

TSA: just when you think stupid couldn't get any worse.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, he does work for TSA.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
The 4th item is SSI.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
You know if I was going to build a detonator I would package it in an old cell phone body that would pass right through an xray machine. Terrorist are not dumb enough to think they can get through with a ghetto rigged device.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:25 am

Checkout the video-clip attached to Blogdad Bob's 8/5/2011 Entry, Weird Science: Traveling With Homemade Gadgets .

The video has been linked to in the FT thread Omaha airport terminal evacuated , but I figure that the "accounting discrepancy" warrants its own thread...
Its actually clearly apparent the video was edited, most likely by someone on the blog staff, cutting off the beginning of the video, and the end.

But take cheap shots where you can get them. ^
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First

The video states to "think about not packing these items together". I guess that means just packing the separate items in different bags or moving them through different checkpoints. This is one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen from BB. How exactly is this making anyone "safer" ?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: Sky Miles, Star Alliance, Marriott
Originally Posted by SATTSO
Its actually clearly apparent the video was edited, most likely by someone on the blog staff, cutting off the beginning of the video, and the end.

Fair enough. But the post also contains the following, immediately before the video:
"I spoke with Dave today from TSA’s Explosives Operation Division about what types of thing can cause your bag to be checked. Watch the video to see what he had to say."

This pretty clearly implies that the video will contain material specifically intended and recorded primarily and initially for the audience of the blog post. However, the actual contents of the video are, as you mention, clearly edited from a different video, which likely had been recorded for a different purpose.

That, to me, is the frustrating part... it comes across as puerile and amateur. There's absolutely no reason to be misleading here. Just say that it comes from a training video, or other material, or something like that. By promulgating such an obvious lie, it undermines any attempt to gain credibility, in my opinion.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by steve65341
The video states to "think about not packing these items together". I guess that means just packing the separate items in different bags or moving them through different checkpoints. This is one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen from BB. How exactly is this making anyone "safer" ?
Just in case any terrorists were confused about the correct process, he's cleared it up for them
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:19 pm

Yeah, because I have 4 carry-on bags when I travel.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:31 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by jtodd
Yeah, because I have 4 carry-on bags when I travel.
Good one jtodd. Because terrorists never travel in groups. Why, on 9/11 --- oops, never mind.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
In a hypothetical world where common sense were used, it would make sense to take strange-looking items out of a carry on and put them in a bin. That way, TSA could use their low-tech eyes to look at the item without doing a bag check and prior to panicking and yelling "Bravo" and calling the BAO, bomb squad, swat team, or whoever else they call. In this common-sense world, upon seeing the item on an x-ray, the screener would ask a useful question like "what's in the bin?" and listen to the response before panicking.

However, that did not work for this custom battery pack:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/scot_peele.shtm

Note that TSA claims they did not doctor the photo and that the item was actually sent through the x-ray by the passenger just like shown in the picture. So much for separating out unusual items to make them visible and avoid overreaction.

Of course, the item was confiscated "voluntarily" surrendered in spite of being confirmed as not a threat.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by G_Wolf

That, to me, is the frustrating part... it comes across as puerile and amateur.
Amateur? Puerile? This is the TSA we're talking about right?

Here's my surprised look:
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO

How about the "Three Simple Steps to Security" listed on the TSA's Travel Tips PDF, SATTSO? Is it clearly apparent that it was edited as well? The only thing apparent to me is that TSA can't count to three.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/311_brochure.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.