Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Come to Amtrak; we don’t undress you, we don't mess with you.

Come to Amtrak; we don’t undress you, we don't mess with you.

Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No Thanksgiving Harassment

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I'm riding AMTRAK on Wednesday. I'll report any TSA harassment.
My ride from Union Station to Albany was uneventful (except for my MARC commuter train -- more in the AMTRAK thread). The only harassers I saw were two BWI airport cops standing on the platform. Since the train station is located at BWI, I suspect they were out there just to keep them busy. I didn't see any TSA at Union Station, Penn Station or Albany.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:16 am

My ride from Union Station to Albany was uneventful (except for my MARC commuter train -- more in the AMTRAK thread). The only harassers I saw were two BWI airport cops standing on the platform. Since the train station is located at BWI, I suspect they were out there just to keep them busy. I didn't see any TSA at Union Station, Penn Station or Albany.
Has FT reached the point where any uniformed LE is automatically labeled a "harasser" for simply being present at a transportation station/airport/dock? How does "standing on the platform" constitute harassment?

Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Has FT reached the point where any uniformed LE is automatically labeled a "harasser" for simply being present at a transportation station/airport/dock? How does "standing on the platform" constitute harassment?

I'm reminded of a story told to me by a retired USAF public affairs officer. He said a newspaper editor once told him, "If you want me to publish a good news story, take out an ad."

Same thing applies here concerning transportation security.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:03 pm

I'm reminded of a story told to me by a retired USAF public affairs officer. He said a newspaper editor once told him, "If you want me to publish a good news story, take out an ad."

Same thing applies here concerning transportation security.
Wrong.

Observing without inferring with passenger flow will aid security. If you want to live in a world where transportation security isn't needed, build a time machine. But those of us who recognize that transportation is regular target of terrorism in the here and now appreciate LE presence that does not interfere with the lawful actions of passengers.

Somewhere recently I saw a study that the frequent presence of cops in certain public places cut down on pickpocketing and petty theft. Even if that is all the LE on the platform do, it is a net public benefit, and the LE do not deserve to be described as "harassers".
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Wrong.

Observing without inferring with passenger flow will aid security. If you want to live in a world where transportation security isn't needed, build a time machine. But those of us who recognize that transportation is regular target of terrorism in the here and now appreciate LE presence that does not interfere with the lawful actions of passengers.

Somewhere recently I saw a study that the frequent presence of cops in certain public places cut down on pickpocketing and petty theft. Even if that is all the LE on the platform do, it is a net public benefit, and the LE do not deserve to be described as "harassers".
I'm sure you will find a sympathetic ear on one of these message boards:
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by Critic
Private contractors are still held to the same BS standards as "real" TSA airports - and often they're wors than the real thing because they have to prove their worth. See all the complaints about SFO.
^ Agreed. Some of my worst travel experiences have been at tiny airports who have something to prove. No one wants to be Boston Logan. They're afraid some bad guy will transit through their tiny airport and then be inside security at the next airport. It's brutal at airports on the Hawaiian neighbor Islands, in central Midwestern small town airports and those in the suburbs of major airports (aka, all those around LAX.) As I type this I realize I just need to get more jobs in big cities and stop flying out of those places.

Edit to add: I'm never worried about LE Officers, <redacted by moderator>. I do feel safer with LE officers just observing and paying attention. <redacted by moderator>.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 9, 2017 at 10:47 am Reason: Gross pejorative generalization of TSA employees
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:34 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Please follow the guidelines in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum's Sticky post:
Welcome to Travel Safety/Security’s Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum. While this forum permits discussion and civil debate of travel security policy, the FlyerTalk Guidelines & Rules still apply. The moderators will enforce a zero-tolerance policy against personal attacks – against a fellow FTer, TS/S posters in general, or TSA employees as a group. While we don't wish to turn away reflective criticism we do ask that participants refrain from posting behaviors that only serve to inflame or disrupt the forum. Derisive terms used to grossly generalize others such as A. S. S., smurf, goon, thug, Gestapo, Nazi, perv, perp, kettles, gropers, mouth-breathers and the like add no value to the forum and are not permitted.

Moderators may delete posts and move or close threads without notice. This notice may be considered your “warning”.
Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security Co-moderator
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:13 pm

In California a few years ago, Amtrak dog:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.