Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The White-Haired 'Terrorist' in Seat 8B

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
The White-Haired 'Terrorist' in Seat 8B

From today's Wall Street Journal.

(I hope that this is not behind a paywall.)

I can't believe what I'm seeing—she is using a knife inside an airplane! It's like seeing a unicorn. In our era, you rarely even see a plastic knife on a plane, let alone a pocketknife. People in wheelchairs get strip-searched at security, but somehow this lady coasted right on through.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Aug 6, 2011 at 10:36 am
Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:21 am

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

It is behind a paywall, but just go to google and then search for the headline title, then click on the google link and the entire article will pop up.

Pretty poor simpleton-style writing from WSJ. The lady is "dishonest" because she wants to keep her pocketknife? Now the author realizes "the world is complicated?" Chronology of middle age, mind of a middle-schooler. Read some of the comments attached, they are amusing.

It says the author is a comedian -- perhaps he was just trying to be funny, but it is neither Dave Barry wry style funny nor actually funny...
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

I guess this was "artfully concealed"

My dear departed Dad never went anywhere without his pocketknife. At least he is not around to witness this insanity.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:04 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Thegweni
I guess this was "artfully concealed"

My dear departed Dad never went anywhere without his pocketknife. At least he is not around to witness this insanity.
"artfully concealed" yes, but not found
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
I thought knives were legal on a plane if the blade was smaller than 4 inches.

Although the story is bizarre: if she knew the knife was not allowed on the plane, surely she would have been more discreet about it? It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode about old people stealing.

Last edited by janetdoe; Aug 6, 2011 at 3:16 pm
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by janetdoe
I thought knives were legal on a plane if the blade was smaller than 4 inches.

Although the story is bizarre: if she knew the knife was not allowed on the plane, surely she would have been more discreet about it? It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode about old people stealing.
No knives of any length "except for plastic or round bladed butter knives."

You may be thinking of scissors.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
So the point of this article was about how old people are dishonest and not about how ridiculous this has all become?

Where's the "bang head into wall" avatar when you need it?

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.