Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All

Just when you think the TSA has sunk as low as you can sink.....

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...12/detail.html

DENVER -- Aaron Nieman is frustrated, after his pregnant wife's insulin and ice packs were confiscated by TSA screeners at Denver International Airport on Thursday afternoon.

The couple has traveled around the world with her supplies and have never encountered any troubles before.

"It made me feel upset and made me feel somewhat helpless," he said.

His wife is traveling alone to a baby shower in Phoenix.

She asked us not to use her name for fear of security and retaliation for speaking out.

"He's like well, you're a risk. It's like excuse me. And he's like. This is a risk, for I can't tell you why again. But this is at risk for explosives,” she told 7NEWS.

We talked to his wife minutes before her flight.

She say she was never told her insulin was taken.

"I got a bottle of nail polish. I got hair spray bottles. I got needles that are syringes. But yet I can't take through my actual insulin,” she said.

The mother-to-be told 7NEWS she was able to get half a vial through security, apparently unnoticed by TSA agents.

"It was at the bottom of my lunch box, because they didn't search it all the way through. They just took out every thing on top,” she said.

The woman has since made arrangements for additional insulin to be delivered to her in Arizona.

A formal complaint has been filed with the TSA.

The TSA would not get into specifics of this case, but provided 7NEWS this prepared statement.

"TSA's mission is to safely, efficiently and respectfully screen nearly 2 million passengers each day at airports nationwide.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
This has "retraining" written all over it.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:49 pm

The global terrorist network of diabetics. Poisoned fruit from a poisonous tree.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
Abusing passengers is one thing. Behaving in ways that compromise the health and safety of people is another. I still wait for the day when the absurd tactics of the TSA result in the death some one. When will it end?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
The TSA would not get into specifics of this case, but provided 7NEWS this prepared statement.

"TSA's mission is to safely, efficiently and respectfully screen nearly 2 million passengers each day at airports nationwide.
and make sure that we get it completely wrong as often as is humanly possible....
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Disgusting. Americans have no rights these days. You're treated as a common criminal with less rights than a prisoner in jail. At least in jail they'll make sure you get your insulin if you really need it.

Americans really put up with this?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:54 am

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Disgusting. Americans have no rights these days. You're treated as a common criminal with less rights than a prisoner in jail. At least in jail they'll make sure you get your insulin if you really need it.

Americans really put up with this?
Obviously they do. They remain sheeple until it affects them directly. It is very sad what security in America has become.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:21 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Let me guess....

TSA Excuse 1: "She's lying. The incident never happened."

TSA Excuse 2: "Somewhere in the world, someone has harmed someone else with ice packs and insulin."

TSA Excuse 3: "She shouldn't be flying while pregnant. Her priorities are obviously whacked."

TSA Excuse 4: "Proper procedures were followed."

TSA Excuse 5: "Why does she need insulin for the quick flight from DEN to PHX?"

TSA Excuse 6: "She shouldn't be flying while a diabetic. Her priorities are obviously whacked."

TSA Excuse 7: "Do we know for sure that she is actually pregnant?"

TSA Excuse 8: "9/11."

TSA Excuse 9: "Of all the luck! The cameras weren't working that day! Darn!"

TSA Excuse 10: "Preventing insulin and ice packs from being brought aboard our nation's aircraft is just another layer the TSA uses to prevent terrorists from killing innocent Americans."
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by DAL4550
Abusing passengers is one thing. Behaving in ways that compromise the health and safety of people is another. I still wait for the day when the absurd tactics of the TSA result in the death some one. When will it end?
I haven't yet read the whole thread so I apologize if some else came to the same conclusion.....

Sadly you know when this MIGHT stop - when some poor passenger dies AND the next of Kin can finally proof the TSA was responsible. Unfortunately that will probably only happen when hell freezes over
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:24 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
This is the exact kind of case that needs to be used to make an example of TSA and TSOs. IMO the individual TSOs who did this should be criminally charged, preferably with something extremely serious. Could you justify 2 counts of attempted murder (one for the mom, one for the baby)?

These individual TSOs should named, be perp-walked into the court house, spat on by strangers, and be so shunned out of their communities that their families go into hiding for 2 generations.

Any TSA apologists care to disagree? Are you really going to make excuses for confiscating insulin from a pregnant woman? I dare you. I dare you to do it in public and see what the people do to you.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moeve
I haven't yet read the whole thread so I apologize if some else came to the same conclusion.....

Sadly you know when this MIGHT stop - when some poor passenger dies AND the next of Kin can finally proof the TSA was responsible. Unfortunately that will probably only happen when hell freezes over
There are some people in this country that won't wait for a court of law.

Judge Lynch never sleeps...
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by n4zhg
There are some people in this country that won't wait for a court of law.

Judge Lynch never sleeps...
Ahem... Just to balance your comment a tad? At the airport security checkpoint we are all judged guility by thugs who are judge, jury and executioners with no oversight on their actions.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I think this says it all:
She asked us not to use her name for fear of security and retaliation for speaking out.
Congratulations, DHS, you have successfully created a culture of fear. Citizens shouldn't have to fear their government.

Originally Posted by DAL4550
But this has been the case for a while. Look at the backscatter strip-search machines. They compromise long-term health and safety. "Say your name loudly" compromises personal safety. Checkpoint interrogations (the "enhanced" BDO program under trial at BOS) compromises personal safety and corporate confidential information. And we won't even get into shredding the Constitution.

Our government is destroying our country & citizens in a misguided effort to "save" it.

There really is no surprise here. Especially the fact that it is - once again - Denver.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:42 am

As a diabetic, I have enough things to worry about while travelling in addition to the usual TSA nonsense. I don't need to be worrying that my insulin will be confiscated. Every insulin bottle I've ever had has been 10 mL, well under the liquid limit. I've never tried travelling with ice packs but there is no reason they shouldn't be allowed in this case.

This story is scary because the TSA confiscated the insulin and didn't tell her. She is lucky that she was only travelling to Arizona where she should be able get insulin fairly easily. What if she was travelling out of the country? I would hate to try to get medications while in a Caribbean country, for example.

I really hope this TSA screener is fired. There is no excuse for taking someone's medication. To take it without telling the person is even worse. It's bad enough to worry that my electronics are going to be stolen. I shouldn't have to worry that my medication is going to be taken.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:47 am
In Memoriam

If the insulin was actually taken without notice, this violates TSA proceedure, which does not allow confiscation, only "voluntary" surrender of items. It is also theft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.