Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
As a former bomb disposal tech what is your take on TSA's liquid restrictions?
I'm not EOD and I can tell you the liquid restrictions are a steaming pile of whale dump.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Rondall
We talked to all of our people and they didnt touch her insulin," said TSA spokeswoman Pat Ahlstrom.
No mention of the tapes. I wonder if they didn't review the tapes or if the checkpoint was not being recorded (not good) or if somehow the tapes got over-written.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
No mention of the tapes. I wonder if they didn't review the tapes or if the checkpoint was not being recorded (not good) or if somehow the tapes got over-written.
I doubt the tapes would have required resolution in any event: insulin vials are pretty small. I agree that this story sounds confusing. It sounds like the insulin went missing while a lot of fuss was being made over the ice.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I doubt the tapes would have required resolution in any event: insulin vials are pretty small. I agree that this story sounds confusing. It sounds like the insulin went missing while a lot of fuss was being made over the ice.
Might not pick up the vial(s), but if someone appeared to stick a hand in a pocket and didn't take anything back out of the pocket, or if it looked like someone picked up something small and threw it away - or, for that matter, if one of the TSOs was seen handing something small to the pax - that sort of thing would be suggestive.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by n4zhg
I'm not EOD and I can tell you the liquid restrictions are a steaming pile of whale dump.
I agree. I believe that the chance of a person/persons getting a liquid or combination of liquids on a plane, having the time and privacy to prepare those liquids into a functional explosive is as remote as TSA finding a terrorist.

TSA claims they screen near 2 millions people per day and have been doing so for almost 10 years now and not one terrorist found.

2,000,000 X 365 X 10 = 7,300,000,000 people screened and not one terrorist.

Are we really getting our tax moneys worth from TSA?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We talked to all of our people and they didnt touch her insulin," said TSA spokeswoman Pat Ahlstrom.
Asking people if they committed an act that would result in their termination is not very effective.

Maybe the TSA should roll out this new "layer" of security to passengers.

"Excuse me, but are you a terrorist? No? OK, you are free to board.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Whoa! If they reviewed tapes they would be forced into a "Are you going to believe what Blogger Bob says or what your lying eyes see?" situation and even the TSA's institutional propensity for abject prevarication recognizes that that's untenable.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Tom M.
Asking people if they committed an act that would result in their termination is not very effective.

Maybe the TSA should roll out this new "layer" of security to passengers.

"Excuse me, but are you a terrorist? No? OK, you are free to board.
You might think this was an astonishing level of irony, ignorance and incompetent...or you might just think it's charming and quaint how the TSA never bothers with consulting public relations before blurting out an answer.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

2,000,000 X 365 X 10 = 7,300,000,000 people screened and not one terrorist.

Are we really getting our tax moneys worth from TSA?
That is a hell of a lot of junk groping.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armattheus
This has "retraining" written all over it.
It should have jail written all over it--attempted murder.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cb1111
There is the FT way of making a big stink and then there is the normal way of standing up for your rights.
The normal way does nothing anymore.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:58 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
As I read on, there are parts of this story from the side of the pax which are not adding up so imho, the only way do prove/disprove anything (and where as much as I hate to say it , for the TSA to come out smelling like a rose) is to produce the surveillance tape as if someone accused me of "doing something" and I had video proof that "i didn't do it", I'd produce the tape faster than you could say "glove save and a beauty".
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by goalie
As I read on, there are parts of this story from the side of the pax which are not adding up so imho, the only way do prove/disprove anything (and where as much as I hate to say it , for the TSA to come out smelling like a rose) is to produce the surveillance tape as if someone accused me of "doing something" and I had video proof that "i didn't do it", I'd produce the tape faster than you could say "glove save and a beauty".
Or, if the tape is inconclusive, why not show it anyway? No harm done.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA has had enough time to review any video evidence and get everyone together to get their stories straight yet all we have are short statements claiming no fault on the part of TSA.

Perhaps they are still editing the videos.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The normal way does nothing anymore.
Not true. The normal way gets people put on lists, further harassed, threatened with arrest. TSA is creating its own problems these days.

As I read on, there are parts of this story from the side of the pax which are not adding up so imho, ...
I attribute this more to incompetent reporting and a naturally forgetful pregnant mother.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.