Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by OldGoat
How do you know that asking for a supervisor would have resolved it "easily and without any fuss"? Or is that your assumption?
Not only that but the report I read said she and her husband began asking for names and "people scattered - it was very frustrating".

I wrote my outrage on Babble's Being Pregnant column - any comments/stumble love or whatever would be appreciated.
http://blogs.babble.com/being-pregna...in-medication/

Spreading the word,
Angela <><
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by cb1111
Oh, I agree, but the outcome would have been very different had she said "let me talk to a supervisor, I need my meds."

I think her concern as soon as she cleared the checkpoint is what to say on GMA. The "granny smuggled a half vial through" pretty much sums up her actions from here on out.

The more vocal amonst this group will never agree with me. The ones who agree with me will just stay quiet in order not to incur the wrath of the vocal bunch.

Let me say it again. The screener was at fault, but the passenger could have resolved it easily and without any fuss - and that is her fault.
This is unbelievably naive.

STSOs on up are regularly complicit in supporting the wrong actions of front line TSOs.

I give you the dreaded NEXUS chat that so many of us have gone through. We show the TSOs, the STSOs, and on up all of the print outs and websites and documents showing the TSA says it accepts the NEXUS, but they won't allow it.

I guess it is partially our fault the TSOs and STSOs and on and on won't accept our NEXUS.

Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:33 pm

Horsemanure.

You guys are so blinded by your hatred of everything TSA that you can't see the bigger picture.

Yes, the screener was wrong for taking it, but the passenger should have said "wait a mnute, I need this stuff and there's a big sign over there that says that it is allowed. Either let me take it or call your supervisor."

You guys are always telling people to stand up for their rights and and belittle them when they aquiesce.

This has nothing to do with being afraid of future harassment, there are too many ways of resolving this issue where she would not be "scared of retribution."

What ever happened to taking responsibility for yourself? If I needed meds that were allowed (per signage at the checkpoint) then no pipsqueak screener will take them from me without an argument.
Why don't we blame her for being diabetic? If caught early enough many diabetics can control it with diet or pills. So she must be at fault for being lazy or incompetant and needing insulin!

CB1111 you are trying to deflect th fault or responsibility of TSA, why may I ask?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Horsemanure.

You guys are so blinded by your hatred of everything TSA that you can't see the bigger picture.

Yes, the screener was wrong for taking it, but the passenger should have said "wait a mnute, I need this stuff and there's a big sign over there that says that it is allowed. Either let me take it or call your supervisor."

You guys are always telling people to stand up for their rights and and belittle them when they aquiesce.

This has nothing to do with being afraid of future harassment, there are too many ways of resolving this issue where she would not be "scared of retribution."

What ever happened to taking responsibility for yourself? If I needed meds that were allowed (per signage at the checkpoint) then no pipsqueak screener will take them from me without an argument.
That must be one great pair of rose colored spectacles.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 4:41 am

Horsemanure.

That someone should have stood up for her rights - and her safety - doesn't change the fact that IT'S NOT HER FAULT THE TSA VICTIMIZED HER. Yes, she should have told them, "F**K no, you're not separating me from my medication, get me a supervisor and an actual law enforcement officer over here NOW!" - but there are people out there who are not confrontational. Who not only WILL not, but literally CANNOT engage in confrontation, even or especially with government types. There are people who cannot fathom the notion that government operatives might not give a damn about their (your) health and safety, or their own rules. Those people, if subjected to such treatment, ARE STILL VICTIMS OF WRONGDOING THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN.

If you weren't such an unabashed and dedicated apologist for the TSA here, perhaps you could see that. Way to blame the victim, CB.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:22 am

Oh, I agree, but the outcome would have been very different had she said "let me talk to a supervisor, I need my meds."

I think her concern as soon as she cleared the checkpoint is what to say on GMA. The "granny smuggled a half vial through" pretty much sums up her actions from here on out.

The more vocal amonst this group will never agree with me. The ones who agree with me will just stay quiet in order not to incur the wrath of the vocal bunch.

Let me say it again. The screener was at fault, but the passenger could have resolved it easily and without any fuss - and that is her fault.
CB, the reality is that often the viewpoint is very different on my side of the belt. Many of us here have had encounters when it comes to medical items stated as permitted on the website. Being polite, calm, and rational simply doesn't always work with TSOs or STSOs, especially when they seem to lack a basic understanding of medical items or issues.

I know from personal experience.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by rgfloor
...CB1111 you are trying to deflect th fault or responsibility of TSA, why may I ask?
Where do you get notion from? It is obvious that the screener was at fault, but I believe (from personal experience - but obviously not with that screener) that she could have easily resolved the issue at the checkpoint - but then we wouldn't be discussing this.

No supervisor would have supported taking the meds. Perhaps they would have made her dump the ice that was melting, but no supervisor would have dumped the meds - unless there is more to this story than we know about.

I don't work TSA, nor do I like their methodology, but they have a crappy mission and are doing it with barely trainable people.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:33 pm
Suspended

No supervisor would have supported taking the meds.
Are you sure? Randy Pepper, Michael Arato, etc.?

It's painfully obvious that there are TSA supervisors who would have supported taking the meds.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where do you get notion from? It is obvious that the screener was at fault, but I believe (from personal experience - but obviously not with that screener) that she could have easily resolved the issue at the checkpoint - but then we wouldn't be discussing this.

No supervisor would have supported taking the meds. Perhaps they would have made her dump the ice that was melting, but no supervisor would have dumped the meds - unless there is more to this story than we know about.

I don't work TSA, nor do I like their methodology, but they have a crappy mission and are doing it with barely trainable people.
.....and are doing a crappy job performing their mission.

Finished the sentence for you.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Horsemanure.

Hasn't the government - and TSA in particular - continually crowed about how they are here to "protect" us, and that we are incapable of taking responsibility to protect ourselves? Isn't that the WHOLE BASIS of TSA's existance?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:56 pm

How do you know this? A screener THIS poorly trained is a direct result of a poor supervisor. Why bother to escalate up that chain of command?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: Membership has its benefits, or so I am told.
Originally Posted by rgfloor
Why don't we blame her for being diabetic? If caught early enough many diabetics can control it with diet or pills. So she must be at fault for being lazy or incompetant and needing insulin!
Not that I want to divert this important discussion, but I wanted to point out that type 2 diabetes (which can be controlled by diet/pills) is a different disease than type 1, and I am willing to bet this woman had gestational diabetes, which is a 3rd kind. In type 1, the body, through no fault of the person, does not make ANY insulin and is required to put it in their body, or die. I could lose 20 pounds and I would still need insulin!

A gestational diabetic's organs are working for two and the pancreas can not sometimes meet the need/demand, so the mother must inject or she and/or her fetus will suffer greatly. AND in fact many type 2s are not just lazy and incompetent, but their pancreas has just worn out....it is sometimes a chicken/egg question...as the pancreas begins to wear out, blood sugar rises, but very little gets converted to energy...so you feel hungry and tired, so you eat more, which makes your blood sugar go higher, and yet, you are still hungry, and that soaring blood sugar makes it impossible to get up and walk around, let alone "work out." Endocrine and metabolic meltdown.....

Yes, we are debating TSA, and I am sorry for jumping in, but I do follow these conversations as they are important to me, but let's not cavalierly discuss diabetes and whose "fault" the disease is, if we don't know what it really is (and "most" people don't.....).

thanks
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by ITravelThereforeIam
Not that I want to divert this important discussion, but I wanted to point out that type 2 diabetes (which can be controlled by diet/pills) is a different disease than type 1, and I am willing to bet this woman had gestational diabetes, which is a 3rd kind. In type 1, the body, through no fault of the person, does not make ANY insulin and is required to put it in their body, or die. I could lose 20 pounds and I would still need insulin!

A gestational diabetic's organs are working for two and the pancreas can not sometimes meet the need/demand, so the mother must inject or she and/or her fetus will suffer greatly. AND in fact many type 2s are not just lazy and incompetent, but their pancreas has just worn out....it is sometimes a chicken/egg question...as the pancreas begins to wear out, blood sugar rises, but very little gets converted to energy...so you feel hungry and tired, so you eat more, which makes your blood sugar go higher, and yet, you are still hungry, and that soaring blood sugar makes it impossible to get up and walk around, let alone "work out." Endocrine and metabolic meltdown.....

Yes, we are debating TSA, and I am sorry for jumping in, but I do follow these conversations as they are important to me, but let's not cavalierly discuss diabetes and whose "fault" the disease is, if we don't know what it really is (and "most" people don't.....).

thanks
Thanks for this post. I learned things (always a good thing!),

Makes it easier to understand why checkpoint experiences might differ because the specific type of diabetes dictates what the pax will be carrying.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
Here's what BB says at the Blog today:

TSA was in the news last week after a passenger alleged we prohibited her from bringing insulin through the checkpoint at Denver International Airport (DEN). While we did search the passengers bag after an alarm and did not allow an oversized, unfrozen ice pack to be brought on board, (in adherence with the 3-1-1 liquid regulations) our initial review of this incident including interviews with the officers and a review of the CCTV indicates that the cooler contained a sports drink and a melted icepack, but not insulin. Because the passenger stated that she was a diabetic, she was permitted to take the sports drink through the checkpoint.
Truth or Dare, who is telling the truth?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ITravelThereforeIam

thanks
I'm certainly no medical expert or authority but in addition to the points you made in some Type II's the bodies natural insulin does not unlock the cells allowing uptake of blood glucose so it eventually enters fat cells increasing the persons body weight. The syndrome is called Insulin Resistance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.