Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mikeef
That does sound a bit odd. I'm surprised she didn't check to make sure that she had put everything back, but maybe her previous successful travel had lulled her into a belief that they wouldn't steal it.
She was probably flustered, don't know how much time she lost, but she may have been worried about catching her flight, and...(also a possibility, especially because she's pregnant), maybe she needed a loo, and most of all, she probably just wanted to get the h**k out of there before something else went wrong.

I've experienced all of the above.

Originally Posted by mikeef
She was absolutely looking for publicity and did exactly what everyone in this situation should do: get the media involved. I hope she filed a police report and called a lawyer, too.

Was she looking to cash in or get her 15 minutes of fame? Seems to me that she would have used her name if she were.

Mike
I think cb1111 is suggesting that she went to the checkpoint deliberately planning to provoke this situation so she could get on Youtube and be a star. In another thread, cb1111 suggests that a significant percentage of these 'incidents' are manufactured for attention and to make TSA look bad.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by chollie
She was probably flustered, don't know how much time she lost, but she may have been worried about catching her flight, and...(also a possibility, especially because she's pregnant), maybe she needed a loo, and most of all, she probably just wanted to get the h**k out of there before something else went wrong.

I've experienced all of the above.
You and me both. I'm not blaming her, just thinking that, under normal circumstances, one would make sure that their medicine and ice pack had been repacked. Then again, under normal circumstances, you wouldn't be accused of being a potential terrorist for carrying those items, either.

I think cb1111 is suggesting that she went to the checkpoint deliberately planning to provoke this situation so she could get on Youtube and be a star. In another thread, cb1111 suggests that a significant percentage of these 'incidents' are manufactured for attention and to make TSA look bad.
Oh, I know exactly what CB was thinking. And I think there is a greater chance of the TSOs bursting into a flash mob and singing Copacabana than there is that she did the whole thing for attention and to make the TSA look bad. My guess, and this is strictly a guess, is that she was simply hoping to get through screening with a little dignity intact. But what do I know?

Mike
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
<grrrrrrrr> Just once, I'd really like to see an "I'm sorry" statement from the TSA. I know "it hurts real bad" to say it but c'mon TSA, it's not like I'm asking you to produce a flying pig....
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
<grrrrrrrr> Just once, I'd really like to see an "I'm sorry" statement from the TSA. I know "it hurts real bad" to say it but c'mon TSA, it's not like I'm asking you to produce a flying pig....
Dude, whatever you're smokin', just pass it on down the line...

Mike
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Caradoc
It's cute that you think there's any relationship between the TSA's rules/regulations and the individual actions of the clerks at the checkpoint.
See my comment in another thread about how the more complex a system is made, the greater the chances of failure.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by OttawaMark
Bull. The TSOs are being paid to supposedly know the rules. Passengers are not. And the rules are very simple, at least for those with a 10th grade education. Putting the blame on the passenger here is beyond any sane reason and is in fact indicative of why TSOs and their thought processes are so despised. In case you missed it - the passenger did nothing wrong, the TSO(s) did. The blame is 100% on TSA.
What part of "minute" do you not understand. At every checkpoint I've been to, there are lots of signs. One of those signs usually talks about medical supplies.

She cannot be expected to know any changing rules but the basic rule of "I need my meds and they're allowed" hasn't (and won't) change.

She is at fault for quietly giving them up. The fact that she made a big stink afterwards (complete with granny [or whoever] smuggling a few drops through, in conjunction with "I don't want to give my name" makes it sound a bit like publicity stunt.

She'll probably be on GMA next week with a bag over her head.

I'm lucky that the only meds I take are for allergies, but you can bet your last dime that nobody takes my Zyrtec unless they replace it for me on the other side of the checkpoint. That's only common sense. It appears that both the passenger and the TSA dolts were lacking that.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:34 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cb1111
The fact that she made a big stink afterwards (complete with granny [or whoever] smuggling a few drops through, in conjunction with "I don't want to give my name" makes it sound a bit like publicity stunt.
So someone afraid of retaliation should make a big stink at the checkpoint instead?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:35 pm

Even if it happened as posted, one has to wonder "was she looking for publicity?"
Only a TSA shill would think that, barring even a smidgeon of evidence.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Even if it happened as posted, one has to wonder "was she looking for publicity?"
I'd do the same exact thing, were I in her shoes. Why stop at filing a report that will ignored, when you can show people in the community how embarrassing and inept TSA actually is as an organization?

Greater publicity also helps get the jury on your side, should a lawsuit be filed. I hope she's smart enough to get a good shark of an attorney on this one. Make TSA pay - and make the TSO personally feel the financial heat as well.

Zero tolerance: that's what everyone should have for TSA shenanigans.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:43 pm

Of course that is not what I was suggesting - and you know it so please do not put words in my mouth.

I said "perhaps"

That aside, there is the possibility that the incident was a wee bit blown out of proportion once she realized that she could get publicity. Refusing to give her name just adds to the publicity and adds to the amount of damages she thinks she can ask for.

Unfortunately, many of you can't see that as your tin foil hats have slipped down over your eyes.

The TSA is not doing security right but not everything is a huge conspiracy to take away our rights.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
So someone afraid of retaliation should make a big stink at the checkpoint instead?
There is the FT way of making a big stink and then there is the normal way of standing up for your rights.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
There is the FT way of making a big stink and then there is the normal way of standing up for your rights.
Which would be?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would you mind saying which federal agency you work at?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Which would be?
Yes CB1111, please explain step by step what the "normal" way is and what she should have done. I implore you for this process so that I may know how exactly I should stand up for my rights were I to encounter a similar situation.

Please do expect after posting it that I will need to ask follow up questions to make sure I have full clarity, especially for a fluous situation that would be encountered at a typical screening area.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mientree; Aug 5, 2011 at 1:05 pm Reason: formatting
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Which would be?
1. Prostrate yourself.

2. Avoid all eye contact so that the TSO doesn't think you're being aggressive.

3. Verbally acknowledge their superiority. The best way to do this is by thanking them for defending the country.

4. Move along, knowing that you are that much safer.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.