Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Sweating over scan - new airport body scanner doesn't like perspiration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAEXP, MRPLT

Sweating over scan

These are apparently the L3 devices.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
People sweat when they are nervous, anxious, in a hurry... all of which occur if you are running late for your flight.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:53 am

It won't be a problem here in the U.S. since all evil sweaters will be sent to be groped by the BDO.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
If I were to go through these, I might as well never fly again!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:00 pm

And why would anybody have sweaty armpits while standing inline waiting to be irradiated and potentially groped? Except for terrorists, of course.

And great data here:
As if to prove that Germans are relatively consistent in their views, the AFP yesterday reported that the German police, who were testing the scanners at Hamburg airport , declared that in 7 out of 10 cases, they let their alarm bells ring when there was no just cause.
A 70% false positive ratio. Wow.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
It truly is a sad commentary on the US that the Germans and the Australians seem open and transparent about vulnerabilities and limitations of these scanners but the TSA hides behind SSI.

Here's another question: have the backscatter machines been deployed anywhere outside of the US? Perhaps an open and transparent foreign government is the way for the real story to get out about the radiation exposure of these devices?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by jfunk138
Here's another question: have the backscatter machines been deployed anywhere outside of the US? Perhaps an open and transparent foreign government is the way for the real story to get out about the radiation exposure of these devices?
We know that they are being used in the UK. Also, a poster on this forum reported encountering one at an airport in Kazakhstan.

It seems unlikely that we should expect any candid information from either of those countries.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by jfunk138
I...Perhaps an open and transparent foreign government is the way for the real story to get out about the radiation exposure of these devices?
Nah, DHS would lean on the State Department to squelch mention of the specs.

The bad guys would have to do the unthinkable, plant a mole in the production departments of the machines. Ooops, too late.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:35 pm

We might as well opt out. If there is a 70% false positive rate, there's only a 30% chance we won't get groped anyway. Did they test these machines before installing them?

This makes me want to hang out by the checkpoint and count how many NoS victims still get the patdown. Unfortuantely I don't have any trips scheduled for 3+ months. I'm not sure how I would count acceptable additional screenings though. If they were carrying something prohibited, then the scanner did its job. If somebody forgot a tissue or piece of paper in their pocket, then I'm not so sure. If they required additional screening due to perspiration or nothing at all, then it failed.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by spd476
We might as well opt out. If there is a 70% false positive rate, there's only a 30% chance we won't get groped anyway. Did they test these machines before installing them?

This makes me want to hang out by the checkpoint and count how many NoS victims still get the patdown. Unfortuantely I don't have any trips scheduled for 3+ months. I'm not sure how I would count acceptable additional screenings though. If they were carrying something prohibited, then the scanner did its job. If somebody forgot a tissue or piece of paper in their pocket, then I'm not so sure. If they required additional screening due to perspiration or nothing at all, then it failed.
As far as I can tell, they only tested the machines for the ability to make a profit.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
And the Secret Service wrestled the sweat to the ground.....
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon
If I were to go through these, I might as well never fly again!
Same here, and one of the areas that I sweat, makes me dread the resolution grope even more.

http://www.schwettyballs.com/
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by spd476

Flying out of SJC several weeks ago, I went through the NoS and was pulled aside. The clerk patted my right arm up to the shoulder - my arm was BARE to the shoulder, with the exception of a thin gold medical alert bracelet. Perhaps I was sweating????
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: Sky Miles, Star Alliance, Marriott
If you want to destroy my sweater, pull this thread as a walk awaaaaayyy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.