TSA Stealing again, this time from a kid

Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:57 am
Original Poster

TSA Stealing again, this time from a kid

"the mother of the Brooklyn student, Chris Dunn, called the alleged theft of his cash -- a gift from his grandma -- "disgusting and a violation of my son's trust."

"Just hours later, another TSA screener at JFK was caught on surveillance video swiping a senior citizen's cellphone. The worker, Roy Richburg, 25, of Queens, was arrested and fired."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/q...tjYwrMzs3H7lNN
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by I'd Rather Walk
"Just hours later, another TSA screener at JFK was caught on surveillance video swiping a senior citizen's cellphone. The worker, Roy Richburg, 25, of Queens, was arrested and fired."

Wow...fired without retraining. I'm shocked, and glad I was sitting down to read this one.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:35 am

So, this TSA was filmed spending 6 minutes on a teen's gym bag, the kid is out his money, but she's not arrested or fired?
I feel so much safer.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:51 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Do they just forget they are being taped? The port authority police must hate the amount of time they have to spend looking at TSA tapes

Really, you spend six minutes going through a bag, somebody is gonna think you were stealing something.

Waiting for bob to put the spin on the edited youtube video release later today.

The money seems to still be up in the air, the phone, that was a slam dunk.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
Do they just forget they are being taped? The port authority police must hate the amount of time they have to spend looking at TSA tapes

Really, you spend six minutes going through a bag, somebody is gonna think you were stealing something.

Waiting for bob to put the spin on the edited youtube video release later today.

The money seems to still be up in the air, the phone, that was a slam dunk.
Spokesholess Lisa beat him to the punch. I feel much better now.

TSA spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein said the agency has a "zero-tolerance policy for theft."
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cases such as this is why demanding to remain in view of your carry on items is a must. If a TSA employee does not accommodate such a request then I think it is reasonable to suspect a TSA thief at work.

I'm sure there are far more honest TSA screeners than dishonest but they all wear they same uniform so all screeners must be suspected of being dishonest.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

I'm sure there are far more honest TSA screeners than dishonest but they all wear they same uniform so all screeners must be suspected of being dishonest.
Just as they suspect all of us as being terrorists.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, AF Explorer, Marriott Gold,
I don't understand. Are you not allowed to lock your bag before you send it through the xray machine?? I am aware that locks are routinely opened/broken off/etc. on checked bags, but is there any rule against locking your carry on bag?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by KCWatORD
I don't understand. Are you not allowed to lock your bag before you send it through the xray machine?? I am aware that locks are routinely opened/broken off/etc. on checked bags, but is there any rule against locking your carry on bag?
They don't all like it. I started doing it because I always get the grope and there are TSOs who will actively obstruct your view of your bags. I have also had a TSO yank my bag off the belt, turn his back to me and start to dig around in my bag when he hadn't even identfied the bag's owner yet.

Had to opt-out at LAX recently, and apparently that day/shift/crew did full unpack/swab/test of all bags. The fellow doing my bag was very aggressive - both palms up, loud voice, "stand back, stand back, stand back!" (I was standing where he told me to stand. He brought my belongings over to a table, put them down, I still hadn't moved, then he's telling me to stand back).

Then he realized the bag was locked.

I said "do you want me to unlock it?" Well, he didn't, but I had to 'stand back'. Conversation in radio. Another TSO. More admonitions to "stand back". They have a whispered conversation.

OK, I could unlock my bag but not touch anything else. And "stand back".

Swabbed everything. Including the lock. Twice.

I've also used ziplocs. They generally have to be cut off. Of course, there's rarely a shortage of surrendered sharp blades at the checkpoint, so that shouldn't be a problem if I do get a search.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by I'd Rather Walk
"the mother of the Brooklyn student, Chris Dunn, called the alleged theft of his cash -- a gift from his grandma -- "disgusting and a violation of my son's trust."

At this companion article http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/q...MGg4vNPhjGZQrJ

the title says it all: "TSA stands for 'Thieves Steal at Airports'"
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by mikemey
Wow...fired without retraining. I'm shocked, and glad I was sitting down to read this one.
Wow! Unbelievable!!! He got termination from the job. TSA will get disciplinary action against him.

No one who caught the personal items and no one touching with her cell phone.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
So, this TSA was filmed spending 6 minutes on a teen's gym bag, the kid is out his money, but she's not arrested or fired?
I feel so much safer.
Not sure why the TSO spent six minutes in the bag, but I didn't see anything indicating that they actually had proof that the TSO stole the money. If it's in the article and I just missed it, it would be much appreciated if someone could point me to it.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
Not sure why the TSO spent six minutes in the bag, but I didn't see anything indicating that they actually had proof that the TSO stole the money. If it's in the article and I just missed it, it would be much appreciated if someone could point me to it.

Thanks,
Mike
Its a situation ripe for this kind of thing. No one gets the contents of their carryon certified before TSA gets their hands on it. Unless someone actually sees the theft, it seems like it is hard to prove. Almost makes me want to pack as if I know whatever I put in will be stolen.

But then my rational mind says "why travel in that expectation?" Anyone should be able to see how this chills the desire to fly.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mikeef

Thanks,
Mike
No hard proof.

I wonder if the bag was between the TSO and the pax at all times, and I wonder how close the pax was to the bag.

IIRC, the LTSO that got caught (but not fired) in KOA would take a bag and turn her back to the pax while 'searching' the bag.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Its a situation ripe for this kind of thing. No one gets the contents of their carryon certified before TSA gets their hands on it. Unless someone actually sees the theft, it seems like it is hard to prove. Almost makes me want to pack as if I know whatever I put in will be stolen.
(bolding mine) True for cash. However, getting caught with the goods (like a listing on eBay or an Ipad down the front of your pants) is pretty good proof.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.