Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

United: Photographing Staff Could Put You on No-Fly List

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles

Though United Airlines and Continental have been married for the better part of a year, the newlyweds haven't begun to see eye-to-eye on everything. Take, for instance, a customer's right to photograph a staffer's name tag. United says it could get you banned from the airline and put on a "no fly" list, while Continental says that's just not so.
Link

Did a search on all three forums, nothing returned, so thought I'd share. If true, UA and ^ CO.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Andy1369
Link

Did a search on all three forums, nothing returned, so thought I'd share. If true, UA and ^ CO.

UA really does that? That's the whole point of a name tag. If UAs policy stays.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:53 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
United has a very clear policy on taking pictures,

Also, unauthorized photography, audio, or video recording of airline personnel, aircraft equipment, or procedures is always prohibited.

I was under the impression that was for onboard the plane, but it's possible somewhere they include the terminal too.

Every time you hear about one of these fights over taking pictures of a name tag I have to feel that both sides are so over reacting.

Just say thank you, move out of the way, and write the person's name down. When it comes time for you to complain, they will have no clue who you are and won't remember it at all. Getting into a huge hassle over it gives them time to prepare (or even fabricate) reasons for why they acted this way. I'm sure this employees side of it is totally different than what has been reported.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
That's quite a contrast between the two company responses...
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:24 pm

The United response is (of course) absurd.

While an airline can bar you from flying with them again (and an airport can bar you from their property,) an airline cannot get you placed on the "no-fly list." Especially for something as ridiculous as taking a picture of a name tag.

The person that wrote that United response should be fired. One can only hope that the individual involved follows up on this.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL DM and charter KM
Good, I need to start taking pictures when I am on UA and then get put on the United no fly list. That will stop corporate travel from sticking me on them to save $12.00!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm so confused.

Who did the agent work for? Was she flying nonstop to Costa Rica (IAH-SJO) on CO or did she somehow have a first segment on United (I can't find any reasonable schedule where this is possible)? Why did she write to United?

Was she hoping to say "after the Employee Day One merger, please don't continue to employ this staffer?" My spidey-sense tells me that pre-merger United management won't have a lot of control over who is employed at CO fortress hub IAH after the Employee Day One merger.

Yes, their response is totally insensitive and off the mark given her story. So is CO's -- it doesn't say whether that agent has been identified and disciplined, just that it will be rolled up into a monthly report.

The only part of the story that Consumerist gives us is not clear on whether the agent is UA or CO, but since she was flying to Costa Rica, I assume it's CO.
A minute later, we noticed [the employee] chasing us across the lobby. She demanded that I hand over my camera phone so that she could delete the photo I took. I politely refused. She then insisted that I delete the photo while she watched. I again refused. She then informed me that if I didn't delete the photo in her presence, she would call the Houston Police Department, have be arrested, put me on the "no-fly list" and "make me miss my fancy Costa Rica vacation." She stated, "you will never fly my airline again." I asked her what law she was talking about and she replied, "My law."

Absurd threats from power-tripping ticket agents don't scare me. However they do scare my daughter, who began sobbing. I knew full well I broke no law and that the police don't have the time or resources for this garbage. My daughter had no such confidence. I deleted the photo and [the staffer] smirked at us and walked away. When we asked a TSA agent about it, she laughed, "of course it's not illegal."
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:10 pm

If you really want the deleted photo just use a "Data Recovery" software when you get home..Now everybody is happy.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: Sky Miles, Star Alliance, Marriott
I find it ironic that the only way they could reasonably enforce this is if they can conclusively know the identity of everyone flying on their planes.

Now if only there were some kind of mandate that was forcing passenger identification...
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Article
A minute later, we noticed [the employee] chasing us across the lobby. She demanded that I hand over my camera phone so that she could delete the photo I took. I politely refused. She then insisted that I delete the photo while she watched. I again refused. She then informed me that if I didn't delete the photo in her presence, she would call the Houston Police Department, have be arrested, put me on the "no-fly list" and "make me miss my fancy Costa Rica vacation." She stated, "you will never fly my airline again." I asked her what law she was talking about and she replied, "My law."

Absurd threats from power-tripping ticket agents don't scare me. However they do scare my daughter, who began sobbing. I knew full well I broke no law and that the police don't have the time or resources for this garbage. My daughter had no such confidence. I deleted the photo and [the staffer] smirked at us and walked away. When we asked a TSA agent about it, she laughed, "of course it's not illegal."
Cool story about how totally wicked you would be if you kid wasn't making you be a surrender monkey, bro...
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
A United FA recently told me that filming the ORD checkpoint is illegal and makes us unsafe. She didn't threaten to put me on the no fly list.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cb1111
The United response is (of course) absurd.

While an airline can bar you from flying with them again (and an airport can bar you from their property,) an airline cannot get you placed on the "no-fly list." Especially for something as ridiculous as taking a picture of a name tag.

The person that wrote that United response should be fired. One can only hope that the individual involved follows up on this.
The quote says "a no-fly list" (ie, the airline's naughty list), not THE no-fly list (ie, the government list).
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Another datapoint about paranoid UA dimwit employees. Frankly I'm shocked

You should have seen the ruckus that went on at the UA forum with one of their pilots claiming Channel 9 should be banned because it was a security risk and helped terrorists.

Hopefully CO management cleans house over there - most of these people would be better off with new jobs, far away from airports and airplanes.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
The quote says "a no-fly list" (ie, the airline's naughty list), not THE no-fly list (ie, the government list).
That's what I thought first too, but the exact quote from the link is "She then informed me that if I didn't delete the photo in her presence, she would call the Houston Police Department, have be arrested, put me on the "no-fly list"

But it is really immaterial because the UA response was just idiotic.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: CO, AA, BA
I've been in this situation with CO. There was a disagreement about what gear I could put in my ski bag with my skis. They charged me $100 each way because I had my helmet, goggles, etc. in the bag. I wanted to document the situation and the items in the bag, so I started taking pics. Otherwise, the agent could have lied, proof is always best. As I was taking pictures of the bag, I also took pictures of the agents. While maybe not necessary, it was easier than writing down their names, plus there can be no confusion re: identity with a picture. It is my right to take any picture I chose to take in a public place (although I recognize it is their right to not allow me to fly on CO, if they so chose).

But this is where it gets crazy. They called the police over (the local cops, not the Homeland Security agents) and the cops were typical power hungry cops stuck at the airport all day. They asked for a "waiver" to take the pictures. I told the cops I didn't need a waiver, and that I didn't want to talk to them anymore. He made some snarky comment, but I walked away and that was it. No mention by the CO employees of a no-fly list, although calling the cops over to solve a customer service issue was over the top, in my mind. Oh well, now I have great pirctures and I still fly CO with no problems. Although I now bring a small extra bag to stuff my gear into if the agent makes a big deal about goggles in my ski bag (usually the agents don't care, this was the only time an agent has cared).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.