Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Are you *really* committed to our fight against the TSA? (Probably not...)

Are you *really* committed to our fight against the TSA? (Probably not...)

Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by exbayern
Why not the alternatives which are in place in the rest of the world, where terrorism is a much more real threat and was for decades long before 9/11?
What would those be? I don't fly to other countries so I am not up on how they screen passengers.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCruiser
Ouch! I guess you win by making it personal...
Maybe if I knew what that big college word was in a previous post, I wouldn't be on your "this guy doesn't deserve to live" list.

Regardless of how you feel about me, I still want you to be careful out there,
CloudCruiser
If I had wanted to make it personal I would have quoted a post of yours or called you out by name.

And what is this nonsense about not wanting you to live?

I see solipsism at work here, assuming most things to which one objects must be directed at one's self.

Not even close.

There are a number of people who lurk these boards, and a number of DHS/TSA types who check it out.

It is imperative that any number of people understand that those of us who can think for ourselves don't "feel safer" by these measures. Not by a long shot.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:09 pm

Ouch! I guess you win by making it personal...
Maybe if I knew what that big college word was in a previous post, I wouldn't be on your "this guy doesn't deserve to live" list.

Regardless of how you feel about me, I still want you to be careful out there,
CloudCruiser
You too. Watch out for those bears!
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:24 pm

So it boils down to deciding whether I feel safer with the added security measures (intrusive or not) verses hoping that another government agency will stop a plot before it happens. So far, I opt for the security. I do have an idea for handling youth checks but don't have the time this morning to type it in.

As far as a forum changing someone's mind, it can happen and just did. I formally rescind my wish to go back to horse an buggy days. At least until I find out what 'solipsistic' means...

I can just as easily claim the current rules were created using logic verses emotion. It makes logical sense to increase security measures based on past events in an effort to prevent them again. The discussion of why laws, rules, policies, etc are created using emotion or logic is similar to the 'which came first - the chicken or the egg' question. Things done for emotion at not always wrong, and things done for logic are not always right.

Gotta run for now.
Let's be careful out there,
CloudCruiser
So you will feel safer cause some woman or man that I have never met before roams around in my undies and makes sure my genitals are mine and touches my breastts and checks out my buttocks?
Just cause I want to fly and see my kids,grandkids , family and my 81 year old mother in Europe.

That is so wrong . Cant you even see that.

And also I was raped as a young girl and have a severe problem with strangers touching me.
So a trip that suppossed to be fun is now going to be a nightmare.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by tanja
So you will feel safer cause some woman or man that I have never met before roams around in my undies and makes sure my genitals are mine and touches my breastts and checks out my buttocks?
Just cause I want to fly and see my kids,grandkids , family and my 81 year old mother in Europe.

That is so wrong . Cant you even see that.

And also I was raped as a young girl and have a severe problem with strangers touching me.
So a trip that suppossed to be fun is now going to be a nightmare.
The person performing the search would be the same gender. And last time it happened to me, plus the times I witnessed it happening to others (including my wife), there was no 'roaming around' in anyone's undies.
I never stated I was happy with what was going on, I am only stating that I can live with it so that I can get to my destination and not end up as little pieces on someone's windshield on the highway below.

I will pray that your next trip will be uneventful. At least as far as the flying is concerned.

CoudCruiser
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:04 pm

I never stated I was happy with what was going on, I am only stating that I can live with it so that I can get to my destination and not end up as little pieces on someone's windshield on the highway below.
You do realize that you are much, much more likely to end up splattered on someone's windshield as a result of traveling by car than by being on an airplane that is blown up. Would you support similarly invasive "remedies" in order to mitigate this risk?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
The person performing the search would be the same gender. And last time it happened to me, plus the times I witnessed it happening to others (including my wife), there was no 'roaming around' in anyone's undies.

I will pray that your next trip will be uneventful. At least as far as the flying is concerned.

CoudCruiser
Troll.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bungnoid
You do realize that you are much, much more likely to end up splattered on someone's windshield as a result of traveling by car than by being on an airplane that is blown up. Would you support similarly invasive "remedies" in order to mitigate this risk?
Nice try. I already have my hands full with this thread. I will leave the vehicular comments for another thread on a different forum...

Let's be careful out there, no matter which mode of transport,
CloudCruiser
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Troll.
Ho Ho! Sweet! I finally made it into the big leagues.
Never expected to be called a secret rabble rouser but I guess it I am an easy mark since I am the only one with a different opinion here.

Thanks Flyin for making me laugh tonight. ^ (and yes, YOU be careful out there too...)
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:59 am

CoudCruiser
Yes, we know you are as gullible as most Americans who think these new procedures actually make the flights safer, it doesn't. Nobody is as ridiculous as the way US is doing flight security, and yet I don't see planes getting blown up left and right. Israel doesn't do the silly things we do, and El Al is one of the safest airline to fly in.

Nobody is against real effective safety measures. What the TSAs have thrown at American public's face are not safety measures, but simply day-dreams of bureaucrats that throw out policies with the simple purposes of: 1) Get more budget, 2) Hire more people, and 3) repeat 1 and 2.

A security policy that assumes all people regardless of race, age, gender, religious affiliation, etc. are equally capable of terrorism is not rational, but an ideology. TSA is setup to beef itself up (big = power, because as you get big you are therefore 'too big to fail') and upheld an ideology of all people are equally a terrorist, so you don't "offend" the particular profile that 99+% of terrorists have come from. But noooo.... let's not get into that. You are a -phobic if you ever dare to say the emperor has no clothes.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:19 am

CoudCruiser
First TSA is going to 'TRY" to have the same gender. But they cant gurantee it.
Second , there have been numerous "roaming" around in the undies. Trey to tell the people that it happen to it did not happen.

USA has far the most rudiest and invasive security in the world. And NO I dont accept it.
I already feel it since my family and friends from Europe refuse to visit me. And I was used to have several of them coming each year.even living with me for months. Not even that they want to do.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:31 am

TSA seems to be pulling a con to comfort certain types of people gullible enough to believe they are safer. I guess we have people who don't want the con game shut down. They need a show, just like people in church need a show, whether that show does anything at all. TSA, churches, a lot of cultural institutions exist to meet the demand for shows. Hey, interesting coincidence: reality television and TSA security. Maybe it is the viewership of reality shows that convinces TSA that the world is ready for them.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by tanja
I already feel it since my family and friends from Europe refuse to visit me. And I was used to have several of them coming each year.even living with me for months. Not even that they want to do.
Yep, many friends and families of mine would not come too simply because of border control. Even those with "Green Cards" (Permanent Residence) decided to stay away because they would get rude and abusive services at the passport and security checks.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
TSA seems to be pulling a con to comfort certain types of people gullible enough to believe they are safer. I guess we have people who don't want the con game shut down. They need a show, just like people in church need a show, whether that show does anything at all. TSA, churches, a lot of cultural institutions exist to meet the demand for shows. Hey, interesting coincidence: reality television and TSA security. Maybe it is the viewership of reality shows that convinces TSA that the world is ready for them.
Please don't mention church and TSA in the same breath. When priests do what the TSA does, they get arrested, the church gets sued, and there is possibility of stopping it and getting redress.

With these TSA people, there is no stopping them and they get off on telling you how good it is for you. In the recent case of the Abbott woman in Tennessee, objecting in any way gets you more groping.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Please don't mention church and TSA in the same breath. When priests do what the TSA does, they get arrested, the church gets sued, and there is possibility of stopping it and getting redress.

With these TSA people, there is no stopping them and they get off on telling you how good it is for you. In the recent case of the Abbott woman in Tennessee, objecting in any way gets you more groping.
You missed the metaphor. It had nothing to do with the sexual aspect, it was totally about putting on a show to calm nervous people. Churches and TSA both do that. They both profess unseen benefits. Not that religion is bad, but religion is not about the exhibition, it is something deep and internal. You see very little actual religion in the Crystal Cathedral. You see precious little security in the TSA operation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.