Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Harvard Business Review: Simple Ways the TSA Could Make Customers Happier

Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United

Full article here.

As if TSA's relationship with the public weren't bad enough, it got strained even further a couple of weeks ago when news reports of its search of an adult cancer patient's diaper boomeranged all over the internet. If TSA really wants to improve its image, it wouldn't be hard to do. Here are just a few things that would transmogrify public attitudes about the agency.

1. Stop the Shouting. No human being responds well to someone shouting "Remove all laptops! Take out all liquids, aerosols, and gels! Remove all items from your pockets, that means ALL items!" at them at 6 AM--or any other time of day. Imagine walking into a Toyota dealership to find a uniformed officer there yelling, "If you want a Camry get in the left line; if you have credit question go to the right!" The best way for TSA to improve customer service would be to start treating people like customers instead of animals. They should establish a "no yelling or you're fired" rule. This alone would transform the atmosphere around the screening areas. And people might actually pay attention.
Wonder if the author did some research here at FT; I've seen several of the suggestions here for months (if not years).
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by NotaCriminal
Full article here.

Wonder if the author did some research here at FT; I've seen several of the suggestions here for months (if not years).
I agree with the not shouting. We tried that at SAT, but ended up having more bag checks, as not as many people were informed what to do. But I think over time, it would eventually work, maybe.

However, the other ones mentioned I think would just bring ridicule down on TSA from the members of this site. I mean, really, considering how some of you feel about TSOs, do you want them handing out candy to children?
BTW, I HAVE done this before, and it works! Hand a crying child a piece of candy does wonders to calm them down while they get through the checkpoint, despite what some of you might think of me for doing it and yes, I have always asked the parents permission to do so first.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Full article here.

#10 is the only one that would stand a chance of getting implemented. Chertoff must have some buddy who can provide it - for a price, of course.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO
I mean, really, considering how some of you feel about TSOs, do you want them handing out candy to children?
It's all about context.

Giving candy before or during screening can create the impression that the TSA is trying to bribe the child into compliance, thereby creating suspicion ... regardless of the TSA's true motivation in acting that way.

The suggestion was about giving candy to the kids after they've completed screening. At that point, there's very little (if anything) that the TSA gains by giving the candy to the child --- other than generating good will, which is the point of most of the other suggestions on the list.

Seriously ... it's not that unusual an idea. Our family dentist gives kids small toys ... AFTER the cleaning procedure is completed. Our family physician allows kids to choose a sticker from a pile ... AFTER the appointment is over. Heck, my favorite clerk at the post office also offers candy (with parental permission) to kids ... AFTER the transaction has been completed.

It's not that hard to see how this could work. (As long as the lollipops were smaller than 7" in length, of course. )
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

BTW, I HAVE done this before, and it works! Hand a crying child a piece of candy does wonders to calm them down while they get through the checkpoint, despite what some of you might think of me for doing it and yes, I have always asked the parents permission to do so first.
Your supervisors/management allowed you to do so? No criticism here, just curious if you were allowed to do so or told to stop by management. It is a form of "thinking outside the box" and it doesn't seem like TSA appreciates that kind of thinking from ANY of us.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:11 pm

Your supervisors/management allowed you to do so? No criticism here, just curious if you were allowed to do so or told to stop by management. It is a form of "thinking outside the box" and it doesn't seem like TSA appreciates that kind of thinking from ANY of us.
I wouldn't say that. Certainly, TSA has its rules, the SOP to follow, but I have always seen management encourage employees to "think outside the box". Heck, when I first showed up at SAT, I worked in T2, and a Terminal Manager kept a large bowl of candy on top of one of the x-rays. Sometimes passengers would ask for a piece, and we would give it to them, and of course, the kids. Any one could basically help themselves to it (I am sure some passengers wanted some, but were afraid to ask!).

Around Spring break, when lots of families travel, is a great time to keep some wrapped candy in your pocket to give out to kids, crying from being woken from their sleep or fighting with their brother or sister, or whatever. But as jkhuggings suggest above, I do not think it is seen as "bribing" children to comply with screening; its more of a distraction; despite the sugar your giving them, for a short time they mellow out and allow their parents time to prepare their carry-ons for x-ray screening.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins

The suggestion was about giving candy to the kids after they've completed screening. At that point, there's very little (if anything) that the TSA gains by giving the candy to the child --- other than generating good will, which is the point of most of the other suggestions on the list.

It's not that hard to see how this could work. (As long as the lollipops were smaller than 7" in length, of course. )
I have found the best time to give children candy at the checkpoint is BEFORE screening starts. Sure it makes the kids happy, but the parents LOVE it. A kid with a starburst (I love those) or whatever becomes a kid on a mission.

And its not about compliance with screening. Often I see a single parent traveling with 2 or 3 children, and they are all running around, screaming, throwing their toys - doing what children naturally do. And the parent is left with all the luggage, the computers (surprised how many parents have lap tops for their children), and carriages and such. It can be hectic. Providing candy at that point simply calms the kids down, oddly enough.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:20 pm

And its not about compliance with screening. Often I see a single parent traveling with 2 or 3 children, and they are all running around, screaming, throwing their toys - doing what children naturally do. And the parent is left with all the luggage, the computers (surprised how many parents have lap tops for their children), and carriages and such. It can be hectic. Providing candy at that point simply calms the kids down, oddly enough.
It calms the kids down so that ... what? So that the family can move through the screening process easier. Ergo: compliance with screening.

Don't get me wrong: I have no problem with that. I'm sure such a technique can be done pre-screening in a way that doesn't engender suspicion; obviously, you've figured that out. I'm just commenting on the original suggestion, which has even fewer opportunities to be misunderstood.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
It calms the kids down so that ... what? So that the family can move through the screening process easier. Ergo: compliance with screening.
No, not compliance with screening, but so that they do what their parents tell them.

There is a huge difference in giving a child candy to calm them down so the parent can tell them what to do, and giving a child a candy so they can be patted down or whatever screening process that happens to be taking place. Huge difference.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:37 pm

No, not compliance with screening, but so that they do what their parents tell them.
Which is to do ... what? Follow their parents' instructions so that they can ... wait for it ... get through the screening process.

Seriously, SATTSO ... we are really talking about the same thing here.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:37 pm
In Memoriam

I have found the best time to give children candy at the checkpoint is BEFORE screening starts. Sure it makes the kids happy, but the parents LOVE it. A kid with a starburst (I love those) or whatever becomes a kid on a mission.
You give Starbursts, and I have had mine confiscated (DY...T, if so surrender them) as a gel at two different USA airports.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:40 pm

Around Spring break, when lots of families travel, is a great time to keep some wrapped candy in your pocket to give out to kids, crying from being woken from their sleep or fighting with their brother or sister, or whatever. But as jkhuggings suggest above, I do not think it is seen as "bribing" children to comply with screening; its more of a distraction; despite the sugar your giving them, for a short time they mellow out and allow their parents time to prepare their carry-ons for x-ray screening.
ooh ICK! The candy melting and mingling with the filthy lint in your pocket, coupled with the transfer of godknowswhat from the gloves that haven't been changed since who knows when. No thank you!!

<gag>

I mean really... That's DISGUSTING!

Last edited by loops; Jul 22, 2011 at 5:45 pm Reason: added sentence for clarity
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA PE, FL A+Elite, X-DL Silver, X-AA Gold, HH Diam, Marriott Silv
Disagree with candy idea because I just rather not have to deal with whether or not I want my child to have it. Candy bowl on x-ray, fine idea.

Offering candy probably only works now because it's not policy and only done by folks with the inclination who maybe can figure out when it's appropriate. It would be a disaster if implemented as policy. That might be a good suggestion for airports to implement- they could buy the candy and volunteers could hand it out.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Well, he did say that he asked the parents'/parent's permission first...
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:34 pm

Yeah...no

My mother always told me not to take candy from strangers.

If I were a parent, I would teach my kids the same thing. TSA clerks are most certainly "strangers", in my book. I would not want my children thinking that they are to trust the clerks in any way, shape, or form; I would not want my children thinking that the clerks care about them or their welfare; I would not want my children thinking that the clerks are acceptable people to go to if they need help or are having some kind of emergency.

Pretty much I just wouldn't fly with my kids. Don't want to do post traumatic stress counseling on my own children.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.