FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   GAO's "Review of TSA Explosives Detection Requirements for Checked Baggage" is online (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1238613-gaos-review-tsa-explosives-detection-requirements-checked-baggage-online.html)

RatherBeOnATrain Jul 19, 2011 10:36 am

GAO's "Review of TSA Explosives Detection Requirements for Checked Baggage" is online

The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) has released a report that explores TSA’s revised explosives detection requirements and deployed technology to identify and resolve explosives threats in checked baggage.

The report also examines whether the TSA’s approach to the current explosives detection system (EDS) acquisition meets best practices for schedules and cost estimates and includes plans for potential upgrades of deployed EDSs.

Here's the link: GAO-11-740, July 2011: United States Government Accountability Office - Report to Congressional Requesters - AVIATION SECURITY - TSA Has Enhanced Its Explosive Detection Requirements for Checked Baggage, but Additional Screening Actions Are Needed

Since US-government produced works are public domain, here is a cut-and-paste of page 1:
What GAO Found

TSA revised EDS explosives detection requirements in January 2010 to better address current threats and plans to implement these requirements in a phased approach. The first phase, which includes implementation of the previous 2005 requirements, is to take years to fully implement. However, deploying EDSs that meet 2010 requirements could prove difficult given that TSA did not begin deployment of EDSs meeting 2005 requirements until 4 years later in 2009. As of January 2011, some number of the EDSs in TSA’s fleet are detecting explosives at the level established in 2005. The remaining EDSs in the fleet are configured to meet the 1998 requirements because TSA either has not activated the included software or has not installed the needed hardware and software to allow these EDSs to meet the 2005 requirements. Developing a plan to deploy and operate EDSs to meet the most recent requirements could help ensure EDSs are operating most effectively and should improve checked-baggage screening. However, TSA has faced challenges in procuring the first 260 EDSs to meet 2010 requirements. For example, due to the danger associated with some explosives, TSA and DHS encountered challenges in developing simulants and collecting data on the explosives’ physical and chemical properties needed by vendors and agencies to develop detection software and test EDSs prior to the current acquisition. Also, TSA’s decision to pursue EDS procurement during data collection complicated both efforts and resulted in a delay of over 7 months for the current acquisition. Completing data collection for each phase of the 2010 requirements prior to pursuing EDS procurements that meet those requirements could help TSA avoid additional schedule delays.

TSA has established a schedule for the current EDS acquisition, but it does not fully comply with best practices, and TSA has not developed a plan to upgrade its EDS fleet. For example, the schedule is not reliable because it does not reflect all planned program activities and does not include a timeline to deploy EDSs or plans to procure EDSs to meet subsequent phases of the 2010 requirements. Developing a reliable schedule would help TSA better monitor and oversee the progress of the EDS acquisition. TSA officials stated that to meet the 2010 requirements, TSA will likely upgrade many of the current fleet of EDSs as well as the first 260 EDS machines to be purchased under the current acquisition. However, TSA has no plan in place outlining how it will approach these upgrades. Because TSA is implementing the 2010 requirements in a phased approach, the same EDS machines may need to be upgraded multiple times. TSA officials stated that they were confident the upgrades could be completed on deployed machines. However, without a plan, it will be difficult for TSA to provide reasonable assurance that the upgrades will be feasible or cost-effective.

So sad...

iowakatie1981 Jul 19, 2011 10:41 am

In my job, if someone told me "policies have changed, you need to start doing ____________," and I said, "Sure, I'll get right on it," and then waited four years to start, there would be um...issues. To put it mildly.

jtodd Jul 19, 2011 10:43 am

Yet they are moving as quick as they can in their process of assaulting, irradiating and looking at passengers nude. This agency has not a clue what they are doing.

chollie Jul 19, 2011 11:40 am

More importantly, it's all about getting contracts signed and equipment moving and pockets getting lined with dollars.

Who cares if the equipment really works? Who cares if it is cost-effective? Who cares if it provides a degree of safety or compromises the health and safety of both operators and pax.

This is all about feeding the pockets of the so-called security industry in this country.

bluenotesro Jul 19, 2011 9:27 pm

TSA is corrupt from the top to the bottom.

SATTSO Jul 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Already have a thread for this, I think started last week.

barbell Jul 19, 2011 10:40 pm

Who's surprised? Oh, no one?

N830MH Jul 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by barbell (Post 16760897)
Who's surprised? Oh, no one?

I don't see it either. Sorry! :(

RatherBeOnATrain Jul 20, 2011 7:05 am

Originally Posted by SATTSO (Post 16760565)

I searched for it before posting and was not able to find any other threads on this particular GAO report.

if you can direct me to the thread where this report was already discussed, I'll ask the mods to merge the threads.

doober Jul 20, 2011 7:22 am

Originally Posted by SATTSO (Post 16760565)

The only thread you started last week was on "Risked Base Screening."