Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Wow, is MCO miserable for business travellers or what?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Priority Club Platinum

Oof. Arrived at 6:20am this morning for a 7:15 flight. No Sky Priority security line, they have an 'Expert Flyer' line. Families with small children in front of and behind me in line. Went through the magnometer with their shoes on, packed Disney snow globes in their luggage. Hardly 'experts'. All-in, 25 minutes to get through security.

Ugh.

Just venting here. Hard to provide a best in class experience if that is your greeting on the way in first thing in the morning! I'm guessing this is the airport's issue, not Delta's, but boy will I do everything in my power to avoid MCO departures in the future.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:16 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
Originally Posted by mbs80
Oof. Arrived at 6:20am this morning for a 7:15 flight. No Sky Priority security line, they have an 'Expert Flyer' line. Families with small children in front of and behind me in line. Went through the magnometer with their shoes on, packed Disney snow globes in their luggage. Hardly 'experts'. All-in, 25 minutes to get through security.

Ugh.

Just venting here. Hard to provide a best in class experience if that is your greeting on the way in first thing in the morning! I'm guessing this is the airport's issue, not Delta's, but boy will I do everything in my power to avoid MCO departures in the future.
It's Orlando, home of Disney. If you really want an experience, try the Southwest terminal.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:24 am

That's why business travelers based in Orlando were happy when Clear came back. Be glad you only spent 25 minutes in line. When the Clear program went away, I was spending a lot more than that trying to get through security.

Side note - Seems like the planes ATL <> MCO have just been packed to the gills lately. Would be nice if they started bringing back the 767's on these runs (I'm getting those damn 757-300's way too much).

Though if the upgrades continue like recently (IE, sitting in the far back as a Plat on M fare), I might just give in finally and freelance with whomever (Jet Blue where possible). The upside to not having an elite line for security, but having Clear (provided it can stay in business this go around) is that you're not bound to one carrier to get that elite status to bypass the insane security lines in Orlando.

Last edited by Seminole_Kev; Feb 25, 2011 at 5:36 am
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:42 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; IC Plat; SPG Gold
I'm guessing this is the airport's issue, not Delta's, but boy will I do everything in my power to avoid MCO departures in the future.
If you travel out of MCO more than a couple of times a year, I recommend a CLEAR card now that they're back in business. I can count on 10 minutes from my car in the Terminal Top parking garage to the Sky Club or gate no matter what. Well worth the investment for those who travel through here several times a year or those who live here and travel regularly.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
No Sky Priority security line, they have an 'Expert Flyer' line.
BNA has the same silly self policing "who gets in what line" policy, as does DEN. The kettles don't see the signs and there's nobody there to help them read. Granted the volume out of BNA is nowhere near MCO, but still, it's a stupid system if people don't play nice.

In DEN in addition to the Clear lane (which is back there also) they have a lane for all carriers elite and F pax with someone checking the BPs, so the kettle population isn't hindering progress.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Air Brian
It's Orlando, home of Disney. If you really want an experience, try the Southwest terminal.
Last time I flew from MCO it was with WN. The less said about it, the better.

There's a reason they call it Mickey's Corporate Office.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:41 am

Wink

Ugh.

I hear you! Imagine originating at MCO, like I do!

I have it on good authority that Delta has used someone very high up the chain of command to deal with the Orlando Airport Authority...to no avail. The morons who run the airport will not budge on placing a 'Elite' line regardless if its Richard calling. The OAA simply does not care about its own frequent fliers. It's not because Delta hasn't tried...trust me!

Yes, Clear being back is a god send! It also highlights the money grubbing ways of the OAA. They welcome Clear because Clear makes them $$$. For every single customer signed, the Authority walks away with a profit. I suppose if Delta (and other airlines) were to write a check to the OAA, then we'd get a special security lane.

And regarding Clear...I don't hold out hope it will work this time around. The head of the TSA has said the registered traveler program is dead after the Fort Hood, TX shootings (where it was proven even a screened, secured fellow American military member could be a terrorist).

Clear is truly nothing more than a paid service to cut in line. They honestly ought to just turn off the machines and merely check your boarding pass and ID; the iris or fingerprint scan is 100% window dressing. At least during the previous incarnation of Clear there were efforts, at various times, to actually provide a expedited screening process - not just a cut in line.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:58 am

McCOy is the worst domestic airport in my 15+ years of business travels. The Sky Club is okay but the security lines are a zoo, what a catastrophe.

Because of my experiences when I've traveled there on OPM, I will NEVER EVER fly there on my own dime.

slightly OT:

Did anybody watch "The Middle" on ABC this week? The Heck family won a trip to NYC and they struggled with security, boarding, even flying. I think I was behind the Hecks last time I went through MCO security... In fact, imagine 500 Hecks in one security line... that's MCO...
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Air Brian
+1. I always try to avoid MCO departures for this very reason.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta: Platinum Hilton: Diamond Priority Club: Spire
Im originally from Orlando so i come through their airport a few times a year visiting family and friends and i can say without a doubt that they have the most retarded security lines of any airport probably in the world. You would think being the home of Disney that they would have 'Disney style' lines but oh no, its just some huge confusing cow herding system...
TiberiusOnTime likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Priority Club Platinum
I appreciate everyone's validation of my concerns. I almost felt like I was on candid camera this morning. Glad to hear I'm not crazy.

I would DEFINITELY do the Clear thing were I to fly through there more than once a year. I thought they were out of business, so didn't even occur to me. Phew.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
The madness at MCO never ends. I flew down to try to watch a space-shuttle launch (commercially on DL) and flew back in a small private prop plane with a friend who is into general aviation. Glad I missed the MCO circus!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
I fly out of MCO regularly and it bugs me also that there is no SkyPriority/FC security line. There is the black diamond security line near the Hyatt elevators that usually isn't too bad. They're usually enforcing it when I go through.

I refuse to participate in the Clear program. If it was a true trusted traveler program where I could skip security, leave my shoes on, carry liquids, etc. then I would do it. That would be a true trusted traveler program. But the fact that "trusted travelers" go through the exact same security as everyone else makes it a joke. You're paying, and providing a frightening amount of personal data to the Clear company, simply to cut in line. The whole biometric identity verification and such is a charade. Since you're going through regular TSA security, it doesn't matter who you are.

If Clear advertised itself explicitly as paying to cut in line, and dropped the background checks (which I heard they don't even bother doing anymore) and biometric identity checks, I would consider it.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
I agree about MCO. They have refused to let me in the expert lines several times. Normally when I am in a hurry. Not that it is a real expert line. As the OP states families who have no clue are in the line with you.
One time the man working the lines said that because I am by myself I can use the line they had set up for solo travelers. That one was fast. Haven't seen that line before or since.
On the other hand, DL apparently kept fighting and fighting in TPA and there is a priority line. Thank goodness because that line has gotten crazy in the last year.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Yes, the security operation at MCO has the ability to be really terrible at times. I've had 30+ minute waits there and yet the last two times it was 5 minutes or less. It is in large part due to the multiple strollers, arm carried babies, and in-frequent fliers that simply take 3x longer to do the things that the folks on this board do quickly without much thought.

Other than security, I don't find the airport to be miserable, although my trips have been limited to just the B airside terminals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.