Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the point of TSA marking your BP?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:53 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
At some airports they scribble on the bp with a regular pen. At others (where they are training the agents to read English), they underline, using a pen, almost every city, date, name, flt. no. they find on the bp. I've never yet had an agent put numbers or intelligible scribble--rarely do they use marking pens.
PS: I can scribble as well as the next person and if needed know where to purchase marking pens.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
In theory, the markings (I obviously can't speak for some other airports' "scribbles," but in HSV it's the initials of the TSO working at the TDC position) are for the benefit of the airline gate agents, so that they know the person came through the checkpoint and was screened.

In theory.

I know it actually works like it's supposed to here in Huntsville; if a passenger is boarding the plane and presents a boarding pass that doesn't have the markings on it, then the gate agent doesn't allow them to board. Instead, they call us at the checkpoint, and we go to the gate to verify that they've been screened.
If I had to guess, I would say that on as few as 20% of my flight segments do I use a BP that has the TSA squiggles. Almost 50% of my flights are connections. And for those that aren't it is so common for me to go standby on another flight, change seats, get upgraded, or get rescheduled, that using the squiggle bp is rare. In addition, I frequently print multiple BPs from home (I tend to misplace small things) to use as spares, and I've been known to toss the squiggle BP after leaving the checkpoint and use a spare in a known place in my luggage rather than stuff the squiggle BP in my pocket, coat, or a book, and have trouble finding it later.

Originally Posted by chollie
they handle these situations at HSV (or are there no connecting flights or lounges at HSV)?
On mileage runs, I have routinely and repeatedly connected at small airports that technically have no connections or at least no connections on my airline/alliance, though not since about 2008. E.g., FAT, SBA, SNA, ORF, MSY. I have never been questioned about not having a squiggled BP.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Dean has been a pretty straight up guy, so I think there may be a bit of a misunderstanding. In the case of a SSSS that may show up on the boarding system computer, would it not be required that if there is no evidence of TSA screening, the OA may be required to call the TSA to clear the PAX?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Last week, they marked empty spaces on my BP. Apparently they finally learned to read, now they have to learn how to find empty areas.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:53 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by studentff
If I had to guess, I would say that on as few as 20% of my flight segments do I use a BP that has the TSA squiggles. Almost 50% of my flights are connections. And for those that aren't it is so common for me to go standby on another flight, change seats, get upgraded, or get rescheduled, that using the squiggle bp is rare. In addition, I frequently print multiple BPs from home (I tend to misplace small things) to use as spares, and I've been known to toss the squiggle BP after leaving the checkpoint and use a spare in a known place in my luggage rather than stuff the squiggle BP in my pocket, coat, or a book, and have trouble finding it later.

On mileage runs, I have routinely and repeatedly connected at small airports that technically have no connections or at least no connections on my airline/alliance, though not since about 2008. E.g., FAT, SBA, SNA, ORF, MSY. I have never been questioned about not having a squiggled BP.
There have been reports (at least in the aa forum) where people have obtained ff numbers (as listed on bp) and used these (fraudulently) to access accounts. Destroying these (unused bp's) might be prudent.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
There have been reports (at least in the aa forum) where people have obtained ff numbers (as listed on bp) and used these (fraudulently) to access accounts. Destroying these (unused bp's) might be prudent.
Don't a lot of the airlines just throw these in the trash?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:12 pm

Yeah, at Huntsville, there are no lounges and there are no self-service kiosks at the gate area with which to get a new boarding pass. And, being Huntsville, it's not really a big airport for people to be traveling through on their way to somewhere else - everyone is either finishing their travel here, or originating their travel here.

The only time that's ever not the case is when someone sneezes too hard and makes ATL shut down, and we get four or five planes diverted here.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Apparently HSV doesn't have smart phone boarding passes yet.

So how are you going to handle that when it comes?
We do not, no. And -- no idea.

If there is one thing I've learned from reading this thread, however, it is that HSV seems has a security layer in place that, apparently, no other airport has. It certainly helps that TSA and the airlines at Huntsville aren't adversarial with each other; we, in fact, get along smashingly well. Maybe our respective managers might lock horns from time to time (if so, it's never in a place where I, a lowly peon TSO, would ever be allowed to see it), but those of us in uniforms - be it the royal blue of TSA or the navy blue of US Airways or the powder blue of United - get on great.

In other airports, where the TSA operation does not get along well with their airline associates, then I doubt this would be possible at all. Even if they did, the sheer volume of passengers would also make it prohibitive to try to do: Airports like EWR and LGA and LAX and ORD and ATL have more people in line at any one time than HSV gets through in an entire shift.

Originally Posted by Jim
And ... how could you verify that they've been screened or not --- absent the magic markings on the boarding pass? At that point, it's the passenger's word versus the TSO's ...
Unless the TSO(s) that respond to the gate remember the passenger trafficking through the checkpoint - which isn't too terribly hard to do; it's not like we have fifteen screening lanes running full-tilt all day or anything here. We have three, but typically only one is actually ever in operation.

At that point, the TSA personnel just affirm to the gate agent that they have undergone screening and we call it a day.

Lacking that, they're screened at the gate.

I would also point out that the situation itself is incredibly rare. Since TSA took over the responsibility of matching IDs to boarding passes back in 2008, we've only been called up to the gate... uh... well, suffice to say, I could count the number of times on one hand. It used to happen a lot more back when a company named Huntleigh did the boarding pass/ID checking.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I have on multiple occasions presented a boarding pass for a connection that would have no reason to have markings. They have never be questioned. Never.

I have on a few occasions had boarding passes reprinted inside the sterile area and did not go back and get them squiggled. They, too, were accepted every time.
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
How many times have most of us changed seats or had an upgrade clear requiring a new virgin boarding pass??? CODE BRAVO!
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
What about pax on a quick turn? Or people connecting?
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
You don’t even have to do that, every airline has self service kiosks near their gate areas, just print out another BP there, no questions asked by the machines,
I suddenly have a theory that no one at TSA HQ (at least, no one who makes policy) has actually flown on a commercial flight since, uh, ... EVER.

In TSA-HQ fantasy land:
  • Every passenger drives their own car to the airport (outbound and return flights!), or is taken to the airport by someone who will wait there until the flight has departed. After all, you can always take (randomly) prohibited items back to your car or give them to your friends.
  • Every passenger has one - exactly one - boarding pass. There are no such things as "kiosks" or "lounges" where one can get additional copies of a boarding pass. Windows 7 has a feature that prevents printing two copies of a boarding pass. (Insert Mac, Linux, Unix jokes here.)
  • Every passenger will fly in the class and seat that was assigned to them at the dawn of time. There are no "upgrades" or "seat changes" that those malcontents at FT argue about.
  • Every journey consists of flying from one airport to another, then flying back to the original airport on some other day. These "connections" and "quick turns" are only a FT invention.
Seriously, if Dean's explanation is the real reason (and I'm sure that's what he's been told), it reveals a deep misunderstanding of actual air travel patterns.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mre5765
Apparently when a pax loses his BP after he is screened but before he boards, then when he presents his photo ID to the gate agent to get a new BP, the GA calls the TSA... Good lord.
That's ridiculous as there are almost always airside kiosks where you can print off all the dupes you want. My teen son somehow lost his squiggled BP post-security at PHX last week. We found a kiosk in two minutes; no problem. We could have made 20 of them.

Originally Posted by nrr
At some airports they scribble on the bp with a regular pen. At others (where they are training the agents to read English), they underline, using a pen, almost every city, date, name, flt. no. they find on the bp. I've never yet had an agent put numbers or intelligible scribble--rarely do they use marking pens.
Recently had a TSO make a big ovoid smiley face on my BP -- and nothing else -- using purple Flair pen. Then, a couple of flights later, a guy ticked off every meaningful data point on the BP like he was auditing a 1040 form. Absurd.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I suddenly have a theory that no one at TSA HQ (at least, no one who makes policy) has actually flown on a commercial flight since, uh, ... EVER.

In TSA-HQ fantasy land:
Unfortunately I think you are correct. The example I would give is the original specs for "Secure Flight" would have required SSSSelectee SSSSecondary SSSScreening for any passenger who booked their flight at the last minute, was rerouted for irregular operations, etc. IIRC it required this for any changes inside of 36 hours from departure.

But in TSA-HQ fantasy land, Ma and Pa Kettle by their plane tickets for Disney World six months in advance, and business travel is never unpredictable or last-minute.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: Sky Miles, Star Alliance, Marriott
Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
Yeah, at Huntsville, there are no lounges and there are no self-service kiosks at the gate area with which to get a new boarding pass. And, being Huntsville, it's not really a big airport for people to be traveling through on their way to somewhere else - everyone is either finishing their travel here, or originating their travel here.

The only time that's ever not the case is when someone sneezes too hard and makes ATL shut down, and we get four or five planes diverted here.

We do not, no. And -- no idea.

If there is one thing I've learned from reading this thread, however, it is that HSV seems has a security layer in place that, apparently, no other airport has. It certainly helps that TSA and the airlines at Huntsville aren't adversarial with each other; we, in fact, get along smashingly well. Maybe our respective managers might lock horns from time to time (if so, it's never in a place where I, a lowly peon TSO, would ever be allowed to see it), but those of us in uniforms - be it the royal blue of TSA or the navy blue of US Airways or the powder blue of United - get on great.

In other airports, where the TSA operation does not get along well with their airline associates, then I doubt this would be possible at all. Even if they did, the sheer volume of passengers would also make it prohibitive to try to do: Airports like EWR and LGA and LAX and ORD and ATL have more people in line at any one time than HSV gets through in an entire shift.
HSVTSO Dean - I almost always appreciate your posts, and I think you're a valuable contributor to this forum. However, it seems to me that your description of the airport in Huntsville differs from how most other (larger) airports function, based on my experience and the experiences of others. The situation you describe in HSV regarding the squiggles on the BP's makes perfect sense to me, within the greater scheme of what the TSA does. However, I think you can agree that the reasoning you describe falls flat for most other airports, no?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BearX220
Recently had a TSO make a big ovoid smiley face on my BP -- and nothing else -- using purple Flair pen. Then, a couple of flights later, a guy ticked off every meaningful data point on the BP like he was auditing a 1040 form. Absurd.
You expected otherwise from the Theatre of Silly Absurdities?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Apparently HSV doesn't have smart phone boarding passes yet.

So how are you going to handle that when it comes?
Dollars to donuts there's no "plan," and that "thinking ahead" and "training" won't be involved in the process either.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
In this age of iPhones, WHY, oh WHY are we even TALKING about BP squiggles?????

Dave
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Accountability.
2. Just like many highly secure buildings which require the security guard(s) to physically handle the ID, it's a way of creating a situation where the checker is forced to verify the details which matter such as name, date and that you are actually at the right airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.